“Catalan hideaway”

Restaurant Vigatane
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Barbecue
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dublin, Ireland
“Catalan hideaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited this restaurant twice during a recent trip to the region. It's in Canet village and parking can be had beside the old castle walls. Its really nice inside with plenty of strange objects like a big shoe and a little yellow train over the bar, lots of old bullfighting posters and lots more Catalan themed objects including the owners snow globe collection!

The food is great, I went for steak dishes both times and it was great and comes served with baked potato and local vegetables. The waiting staff are friendly and one told us that the restaurant prides itself on fresh local produce sourced daily. They also do fresh fish dishes, lamb and vegetarian options and really nice cured meats and cheeses.

The tapas selection for two for €21 is tasty as is the Creme Catalan desert. Order the San Miguel beer that comes in frosted glasses ,it goes down a treat. There is a good selection of local wines and I went for the Le Pichet Mignon 2011 at €19 which they corked so I could take remainder away as I was the only one drinking.

For kids they do high quality burgers and sausages that i ended up eating some of myself it was so tasty.

I would say this is the best restaurant in the Canet area as the Canet Plage restaurants are mainly tourist menu specials!

• Visited September 2012

Irish Midlands
“Top Notch Prices, OK Food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The restaurant is typically Catalan. Heavy emphasis on barbecued food. The service was efficient but I thought it condescending for the waiter to inform us - without being asked and before taking our order - that they did not do chips or tomato ketchup!!. Quite what we may have done to lead him to the impression that we habitually poured ketchup on our food or that we eat chips at every meal escapes me.

Anyway, we had a reasonably pleasant meal that cost €243 for six people and consisted of three starters, six mains and four desserts.

I can't fault the food other than a supposedly well cooked steak for my son that was virtually raw despite my asking in reasonably clear french that it should be very well done. Similarly, the tuna on the fish platter was so under cooked it made me retch. A portion of duck was almost alive.

I accept that the very rare meats are typical of the local cuisine and indeed generally how they are served in restaurants in France. It is a matter of taste and,I suppose, I should have expected it to be so. I am not faulting the food as such. It just did not please my party and in our view was grossly overpriced for what we got.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Longfordian
Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

Catalan log fire barbecue. Wonderful meats and seafood. Very friendly staff. Great atmosphere. Fresh bread toasted over the barbeque and rubbed with garlic cloves was deliciously simple. The beef rib on the bone was to die for. I would go back to the Perpignan area just to eat here again. Don't miss it. Difficult to find, take a taxi. 15 minutes from Perpignan city centre.

• Visited April 2011
3 Thank Gilmartinsonthemove
Naas, Ireland
“A real taste of Catalan culture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

We were lucky to hit Vigatane on a Thursday - Flamenco night

Excellent atmosphere, great staff, wonderful ambience and good value meats off an open fire

We had 10 in our party, had tapas to start and duck, beef, lamb and other meats for our main course. With 6 bottles of house red/white (which is really good value and tasty) our total bill with a very generous tip was 400 euro

Highly recommended!

2 Thank deiricm
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem, rustic ambience and excellent service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

Went to this restaurant based on the reviews here and was not disappointed. The decor is very eclectic, but suits the building. The service was very personal and although the waitress was very good at upselling, but she did it in a helpful way. My tuna was cooked beautifully, husband had black pudding on a skewer. A bit more choice on the menu particularly chicken would have been nice, but they specialised in steak with a burner in the middle. It's popular with locals and was very busy on a Thursday evening out of holiday season, so that's a good sign. Bill came in a bucket, so sent the waitress away with an Oor Wullie card and told her that he said Jings, crivvens and help ma boab, which she was very bemused about.

1 Thank Lmunro19