“Great food but service needs improving” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 88 Restaurants in Johns Creek
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food but service needs improving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Tried Liu Fu based on recommendation of a friend. There were four of us so we ordered soup, three entrees to share and fried rice. The Hot and Sour soup was the best I've had. Then we were served one entree at a time with about 5 minutes between each one and the fried rice was last. We ate each as they were getting cold. When I mentioned to the waiter he clearly didn't understand. The food was excellent and the portions were very good. However the idea was to share all entrees at the same time. Interesting that some prior reviews mentioned this as well. Hopefully they will work this out.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Alpharetta, Georgia
“I wasn't impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

First off, I did not like the fact that I can't get a single order of won-ton soup. I personally think it is one of the most popular and they only have the big orders. I had the Kung Poa triple (beef,chicken,shrimp) for my lunch. I can't put my finger on it exactly but something was off in the flavor and the vegetables where not cooked all the way.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank amandad792
Suwanee, Georgia
“group dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

we made reservations for pty of 8,so were seated at a large table with lazy susan.service was excellent,food very good,and price reasonable. i would return there soon.

• Visited December 2012
Johns Creek, Georgia
“Mixed Bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband, my son and I went to lunch just now at Liu Fu in Johns Creek, GA. It's a nice place, very pleasant on the inside.

We started off with pot stickers which were nicely browned, and very large and meat-filled. Delicious. Then we each had a bowl of hot and sour soup, which they make with a black peppery broth. It's a nice change of pace from the standard hot & sour that most restaurants make.

My husband got the Szechwan Hot Boiled Fish, which is their signature dish. It was very spicy and delicious! It came with an egg roll and rice on the side. My son got the Kung Pao Beef, which he said was kind of chewy. The egg roll was large, crunchy and hot. The Kung Pao flavor was very nice, the beef just needed to be a little more tender. I got the Five Spices Chicken, which was small crunchy nuggets of chicken, deep fried, and put with an assortment of slivered veggies. It also came with an egg roll and rice on the side. I must say that it was a bit on the salty side. There really wasn't any sauce, so the salt must have been in the spice that was on the chicken. Otherwise, it was tasty and pleasantly spicy. We like spicy in our family.

My main complaint was that my husband got his fish, then about 10 minutes later, my son got his dish. 10 minutes or more after that, I got my egg roll, but still hadn't been served. My husband was about done with his lunch and we had to ask both the waiter as well as another employee (owner?) where my lunch was. As I started my lunch, my son was boxing up his leftovers and the waiter actually asked if I needed a box too. LOL! I had JUST got my lunch!

If we go back again, and this was our second visit, I'd order the boiled fish dish, and not the five spices chicken, and I'd make sure that I was not in a hurry.

Sorry, no photos, I forgot my phone. :/

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Busy Marie
Atlanta, GA
“Great decor, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Had a group birthday lunch there recently. The decor of the restaurant is lovely and the seating was comfortable and convenient with a lazy susan on the table for family style sharing. However, most of the dishes we ordered were bland and dull. Staples like Mongolian Beef, Sesame Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken were very unexceptional. Their "signature" green beans were greasy and so-so. Salt & Pepper Pork was dry. And a spicy fish dish was way too spicy, especially in contrast to the blandness of the rest of the items. There were a lot of Chinese patrons there, and they had an extensive menu in Chinese. Two of our group were Chinese, ordered for all of us in Chinese and thought their dishes (from the Chinese section of the menu) were OK. But the "American" dishes for the rest of us were just average at best. Too bad, I'm still looking for a really good Chinese restaurant in the 'burbs...

• Visited January 2013