“Hidden gem in Johns Creek!”
Review of Dal Cuore - CLOSED

Dal Cuore
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dunwoody, Georgia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem in Johns Creek!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The location is a little out of the way but worth the trip. The bread is amazing and the food is always fresh. Owner, waiters, bartenders always welcoming and friendly. Local talent sometimes plays on the patio which is very nice...relaxing to have a drink/food on the patio while listening to the band.

Give it a try and support a local business. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Debra B

Alpharetta, Georgia
“Odd Atmosphere, Fabulous Food”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Pluses:
+ Great food
+ Really enticing daily specials
+ Bread that takes you close to heaven

Minuses:
- Convenience (poor location and hours)
- Decor/ambience

First the positives: The food is absolutely delicious. I've had most of the appetizers and salads by now, as well as a few pasta and fish dishes, and I have to say that I haven't had a dish that was less than excellent. I often get in a habit of having certain dishes at certain restaurants (better to have something I know I like than to risk disappointment), but here I am always rewarded when I try something new or something that is on the daily special list. On my last visit, I had two Italian staples: a caprese salad and risotto. The caprese salad was bursting with flavor. The tomatoes were perfect, the vinaigrette sweet, and the freshly cut herbs just right. The risotto, which to me is a litmus test of Italian kitchens, was tender and moist without being runny. Just right. My favorite item at Dal Cuore is free--the bread. It is different from any bread I've had in a restaurant before--dense and buttery. It is served with a few thin parmesan-crusted toasts for those who prefer crunchy to chewy, and it also comes with a bowl of olive oil and a bowl of grated parmesan. You can take a chunk of bread, dip it in the olive oil, then dip it in the cheese. Yum! The olive oil also has cloves of roasted garlic in it, which you can spread on the bread. I'm getting a craving just writing about it! We have had very nice service there. One time, we had a minor problem where the wrong dish was brought to the table. Honestly, I was enjoying our meal so much that I didn't notice that I was eating something I hadn't ordered until the waiter asked about it. He immediately offered a replacement (which I declined) and took the dish off the bill. That kind of attitude always makes me want to return to a place.

Unfortunately, a couple things keep me from giving it five stars. Dal Cuore is located in a boring red brick building behind a Quiktrip and next to a gymnastics studio in a small office park of Jones Bridge and State Bridge. Odd location. In addition, they keep odd hours--dinner only, Wednesday through Saturday only. Outdoor seating is adjacent to the parking lot, which is common around here, but not nice. Indoor seating is in a single room that has a rustic style of interior that looks to me more like a Mexican cantina than an Italian restaurant. The colors are just off.

Overall, food trumps decor any day, and we are already starting to become "regulars" there.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank CathyTencza
Atlanta, Georgia
“some great some quite ordinary.”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

order carefully. the artichokes are amazing. the calamari is mediocre.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank lilydog60898
Atlanta, Georgia
“This is where to get Italian fare in Johns Creek”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The restaurant is a little hard to find but once you have you will not forget how to get here. Food is all made on site with some of the best hot bread I have ever had served with roasted garlic,olive oil and Parmesan cheese. The menu is made from fresh ingredients with different meats and plenty of vegetarian entrees and pizza
The starting plates are very good and I highly recommend the calamari, sweet tender and delicious.
The owner John has been running restaurants for many years and Dal Cuore is the culmination of his experience. The food is considered "peasant" food so the dishes are hearty and succulent. I have never had a bad meal here. If nothing on the menu meets your fancy talk with John and he will get you something that will be amazing.
Try the beef short ribs if you are looking for a unique dish.
This is a great neighborhood find that anyone will enjoy. Make sure to get reservations as the place does fill up at times.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank rszAtlanta_Ga
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Some of the best Italian food we've had in the 20 years we've lived in Atlanta”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I stumbled on Dal Cuore (humble Italian cooking) one Saturday evening. We walked in, were greeted by John, the owner. What a cool guy!!! He opened Dal Cuore wanting to provide his guests with high quality, home made authentic - with- a- twist Italian dishes that are reasonably priced, and I think he has done this beautifully.
The menu features a different risotto dish every night, and that evening , it was shrimp with asparagus. It was the best risotto I have ever eaten anywhere, and that is saying a lot, my husband and I went to Italy earlier this year. My husband had a pasta dish with sausage that he said was so good he wanted the recipe, and he doesn't cook.
A few weeks ago, John opened a store (Gorilla Burrito used to be there) next door that sells wine, really good olive oil, balsamic vinegars, and locally made foods, and they are working on a market area outside where they will grow their own organic produce.
In a world running over with chain eateries, it is so refreshing to see a small locally owned place where the focus is quality, quality, quality. If you haven't been here yet, make the trip to John's, you will not be disappointed.
They also take great pride in addressing food allergies. When I asked what they could do for someone with a wheat sensitivity, our waiter gave me half a dozen entree items that met my criteria.

• Visited October 2011