“Books and their covers...”
Review of La Charniere

La Charniere
Ranked #11 of 306 Restaurants in Beziers
Cuisines: French, British, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Christmas in Beziers.... Not everyone's first choice. However, it was ours, and no regrets. Great friendly people, market, food and wines. This place has a rugby vibe due to Johnny being an ex player. He knows how to please a hungry and friendly customer. Diner style surroundings and a rugby feel, but fantastic food, aperitifs and wines. Not into rugby, don't worry - visit anyway. I want to go back to have 'Johnny's burger' and frangipan tart again. If you want a relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff and good food go at least once in your life.

1  Thank pobox65

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Attended the inaugural Monday Curry night last night. Excellent! With the best burgers, Friday night Fish and Chips and Sunday Roasts - all we need now is English Ale!

2  Thank lawsyHurstpierpoint
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Excellent service, homemade burgers and salads, clean and nice atmosphere AND a cool pub downstairs! The best burger I've had since moving to France and the best chevre chaud salad I've had in a restaurant! This restaurant was a awesome surprise and I WILL be coming back with friends!

1  Thank tracyleblanc77
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Sorry - I forgot to review this after I got back. We visited on Sunday 3rd November, I think? Beziers Rugby Team had just played, and unfortunately lost that day. But the entire team had come to eat at Johnny's and the atmosphere was lovely and merry.

Johnny was a great host - and I wanted just a starter with a side of chips and he obliged no problem. The food was delicious and me and my partner polished it off in no time. My partner said the steak he'd ordered was one of the best cooked he'd ever had (high accolade coming from him!) and plentiful.

Unfortunately, as it got a little crazy with the rugby team around, we never did get the dessert we ordered. However, we were given free drinks to compensate. And everyone was really friendly. Get that website sorted and it's spot on. I would recommend it to all, and would go back in a flash. A true highlight of our trip.

South of France is all expensive with their food and this wasn't out of keeping with that.

2  Thank Reyhana82
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We saw the review in the Herault Times and thought we'd give it a go last Saturday.12th October. Friday is usually fish and chips day but it was on the menu and after 8 weeks in France it was too much to resist. Our starters were great, freshly made and plentiful. Fish and chips a la Flunch by Auchan was our one French venture into this quintessentially English dish and was a disaster. Here though the fish was market fresh Hake with a light, thin and crispy beer batter on top of a small mountain of chunky home-made chips with fresh tartare sauce and mushy peas all made by chef. Finished off with home-made peach frangipane and coffee - a feast for 4 hungry English folk! With three beers and a glass of red for an aperitif, a demi-pichet of red and rose (well, we are English!) the total bill was a lowly 74E for the four of us.

As we were appreciative of the quality of the food (and service) Johnny (Northants, Bayonne and Beziers RFC) sent the young (20) chef up - I think he's a Brum but may have misplaced his accent? He may be young but he's a good cook and this restaurant ought to go far.

Talking to Johnny he confirmed with the exception of bacon all his food is locally sourced and cooked freshly in the kitchen. He thinks he's located a local supplier of pork who will cut him some back bacon rashers rather than the usual poitrine so when we are back next year we will give his full English and his brunch a try as well as his Sunday roast.

By the way, Johnny, with his blue eyes was a great hit with Joan and Barbara both of whom wanted him gift wrapped for Xmas! The restaurant itself is a good mix of French and British decor and food - don't be put off by the rugby/Brit element - this is very good food!

(PS - at this time of year if you want to sit outside beware of falling conkers!!)

5  Thank John H