“An interesting and quaintly rustic B&B”
Review of Maison De L'Orb

and 1 more site!
Maison De L'Orb
Ranked #14 of 18 Beziers B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Whilst on a business trip to Toulouse, I had a few days spare and fancied going somewhere a little bit different. Beizers was recommended to me as was Maison de Lorb. My friend smiled when he told me about this place and would say no more. He knows I am quite particular about where I stay, but he also has a sense of humour. So with some trepidation I called at very short notice and booked a room for a couple of days.

My first surprise was the booking process, a very helpful (I do not know who I spoke to and forgot to ask) man was very accommodating and made me feel welcome before I had even finished the phone call.

My Second surprise was the welcome I received when I arrived, Mark and Ben made me feel like an honoured guest and I was shown to a very pretty room overlooking the garden.
The room had fresh flowers, plasama tv (which in the end I had very little time to watch) and a hospitality tray with a range of teas and coffees.
The bathroom was a little small, but perfectly adequate with toiletries provided.

Because I arrived quite late I opted to eat there and found myself presented with a 4 course home cooked meal, I accepted the wine suggested by Mark and found it complimented the food well. This was followed by a complimentary whiskey!

I awoke the next morning and wandered down for breakfast, what a spread, cereals, breads, pastries, jams, meats, cheeses, a wide range that you could help yourself to.
I asked Ben about sightseeing and he helpfully planned my day for me, which to be honest I didnt follow all the way. A trip down to the beach (10-15 minutes) for a brisk walk, which was a little chilly but not as cold as the UK, followed by a trip back into town and a meander around the centre. A proliferation of rustic shops and bars greeted me. I found a great little restaurant (I did not note the name!!) where I had lunch and rather too much wine

Late afternoon saw me heading back to Maison de Lorb, and I settled down with one of the books from the reading room and dozed off for an hour. In the evening I went out for a late evening meal and investigated some of the bars. Beizers is an interesting place, it has a cathederal and an interesting canal tunnel called the Malpas tunnel. I spent far more time looking around than visiting bars (unusual for me).

Chez Toi, Chez Moi is the place I chose to eat, it was a chilly evening and I managed to get a seat close to the raging log fire! 14 euros for a two course meal sounded good and it was excellent fare, the duck pate was , I assume, local and sampled with the house red, made a good start to the evening.

Arriving rather late, I found myself back on a very comfortable bed and slept quite soundly.

Two days was not enough, I shall be returning again, hopefully in September.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jake_Willis
MaisonDeLOrbBeziers, Owner at Maison De L'Orb, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your full and honest review and we are very happy you had a good stay with us and look forward to your return later in the year. Best Wishes Mark & Ben

Reviewed November 15, 2012

just wanted to say this is a special place and Mark and Ben make you feel very welcome. Room was lovely looking over the river . Bed very comfortable, the room and bathroom just right and love the feel of the place. Lots of touches which just make the difference. Breakfast was fab! and big thank you for home made evening meals (and wine!!).
Lots to do in the area and looking forward to a return visit - lots of good walks, the canal, the town and beaches - plenty to see if you can get out and about.
Definately worth a visit to Maison De L'Orb - thanks guys

Libby

Room Tip: Room with Juliet balcony was lovely
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank libskent
MaisonDeLOrbBeziers, Owner at Maison De L'Orb, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you Libby for your lovely review and we are happy you both had a good time here at Maison De L'Orb and we both look forward to another visit sometime soon. All the best Mark & Ben x

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My first visit to France was everything i imagined enhanced by my stay at Mason De L'orb, This beautiful but typically french rustic building has been lovingly restored with great taste and thought for its residents. Maison De l'orb is a short 15 minutes from the airport and its hosts will do everything they can to make you feel welcome. I will be coming back again and i will be sharing this experience with all

Room Tip: i beleive i stayed in room 1, fantastic view of the river
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Georgina P
MaisonDeLOrbBeziers, Owner at Maison De L'Orb, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review and we are happy you had a great stay with us and that you will be returning, we must be doing something right! Very best wishes Mark & Ben

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed a week at the Maison De l'orb and really enjoyed the experience. Mark & Ben are great hosts. They are attentive, informative and informal - which we liked.We enjoyed their cuisine - the breakfasts were expansive and the evening meals great value.

Room Tip: Room 1 vista is excellent. Watch the sun go down over the river.
1  Thank John B
MaisonDeLOrbBeziers, Owner at Maison De L'Orb, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your kind review and we are happy that the M & B experience is continuing! Hope you had a good tour of the area and best wishes for the future. Hopefully see you again if traveling in the area. Best Wishes.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were looking forward to our stay at the end of a trip round the region and the marketing material we were sent when booking made it sound glorious. We'd had two stays in wonderful B & Bs in Carcassonne and Leucate so I didn't think about it when I was asked for the money up front on our arrival (after paying 50% deposit already for the 3 nights stay). We should have looked round first. From the broken glass embedded in the wall of the terrace, through the broken and dirty garden furniture (plus the cement mixer and tools in the garden) to the room with "terrace" (internal, looking over the satellite dishes and bare walls - yet the marketing blurb said "Each of the five bedrooms provides guests with excellent accommodation, crisp bed linen and magnificent views" - wrong). Dead flowers in the pots, a duvet that was covered in dust and rust, bed linen that was actually the duvet cover. The whole place seemed shabby and dirty. We'd read the trip advisor reviews but they seem to describe a different place so I've uploaded the pictures we took. We left after one night and asked if they would refund just one night of the three but they wouldn't. "Terms and conditions" was the reason given - no goodwill at all.

The photos speak for themselves - just be aware when you book and check things out before you pay for it all upfront.

A massive, massive disappointment.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
3  Thank JandGA
MaisonDeLOrbBeziers, Owner at Maison De L'Orb, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for your review, however a few corrections need to be pointed out.

When you arrived you had a bottle of wine and we showed you the room. Your first reaction was that it was lovely and you were both happy. You then spent time in the garden and before going out for dinner congratulated us on having a loving home and gave us a cigar as a present and welcoming gift which we still have (thank you). When asked if everything was okay with the room you both said it was perfect.

We had planed to meet you later in the evening for drinks but as we were delayed with friends this did not happen. The following morning you were upset by this and your whole attitude changed in a very childish manner. You seemed upset that you could not locate the restaurant we had recommended (Beziers Plage) which was a two minute walk away from where you had been earlier in the day (another place recommended by us which you found quite easily) and seemed to think this was all our fault.

Our website, blog and various publicity sites clearly state "Each of the five bedrooms provides guests with excellent accommodation, lovely bed linen and some bedrooms offer magnificent views of the garden and river". This room in particular is promoted as "A good size double bedroom with room for an additional bed if needed. The bed does have a soft mattress. Views are restricted here but it does benefit from a private terrace with views of the sky and neighboring homes. Please note this room has no views of garden or river". Therefore, we cannot be responsible if you didn't read the description properly. We did offer you alternative arrangements but you declined to communicate with us and already made a decision to leave due to bags packed in the car thereby not allowing us to do anything about it.

Interestingly, our other reviews both here and on other sites were from other guests who were staying at the same time and clearly have a different point of view therefore I would ask other people to read these and make their own mind up.

The garden was at the time in a great condition (other guests have commented on this) and even yourself said the garden and views were lovely. We did tell you that works had started on the garden and you were both okay with this. The sun loungers were actually not on display or in use as they were broken and as the photograph was taken at night can only assume you took them out along with tools (also put away in outhouse (when we were out) and photographed. This therefore was deliberately done.

The photographs in the bedroom clearly show earth and plants that were taken out and scattered across the room and bed linen as you left and I did ask you as to why you felt malicious enough to do this - you choose to ignore me. The plants on the terrace were certainly not "dead".

You failed to acknowledge that you were asked not to smoke in the bedroom (due to current French smoking laws) especially cigars which caused terrible odors in the room and we were unable to re-let the room without ventilation and thorougher cleaning.

I would therefore suggest when booking a future holiday, you take time out to read the descriptions properly and fully as this you did not do this and to perhaps be a little more tolerant if one is invited to have drinks and there is a delay for any reason.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

As a return guest, Mark and ben still provide a relaxing and welcoming stay. After suffering with a back problem recently i was concerned regarding the bed but I found it was really comfortable, along with the room i had, it was really clean and welcoming. Nice coffee and biscuits and a lovely view of the river. Nothing is too much trouble here, anything at all, all you need to do is ask and Mark and Ben will help. The breakfast is a feast of everything you could think of, enough to suit all tastes and needs and all fresh. I am hoping to return again in the Spring and look forward to seeing Mark and Ben again. Thanks guys for a brilliant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
MaisonDeLOrbBeziers, Owner at Maison De L'Orb, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for your lovely review and we are very happy that your return visit was just as good as your first. It shows that we must be doing something right and we look forward to another visit in the spring. Best Wishes Mark & Ben.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We have just returned from a week at Maison De L'Orb and if you are after a quirky and unique place to stay then look no further. The house has plenty of character and hosts Mark and Ben treat you as friends rather than the normal guests that some larger clinical hotels do.
We stayed in room 1 which had a juliet balcony overlooking the river Orb and it was wonderful waking up in the morning to the sun shining through. (although you do get a little traffic noise, this can even be relaxing knowing your not the one having to rush to work!!!)
Highly recommend spending an evening at the Maison and try Marks wonderful cooking, excellent value for money and cosy atmosphere.. The large eat as much as you like breakfast is a great start to the day and you are in no rush to be shoved out of house, if you like to take things leisurly....
Dont go if you are wanting spit and polish and clinical rooms, this is a place to relax and enjoy the unique atmosphere and a chance to meet other like minded guests.
The only slight downside to our stay is that the garden could do with a bit of TLC but im sure this will come with time...
Otherwise highly recommend a stay here. Keep it up Mark and Ben ,,, Oh and Oscar too...

Room Tip: Go for room 1 with the Juliet balcony that overlooks the river Orb, it is the most expensive room bu...
1  Thank taffy1111

Thank you for your lovely review and we are very happy that you had a lovely weeks stay with us and enjoyed your holiday and our food. After breakfast I shall be pruning and clipping in the garden!
Best Wishes Mark & Ben.