“Demanding but a real buzz, felt great afterwards and proud that my boys and I had completed all of the challenges.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canyoning Park

Canyoning Park
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I am a fifty one year old mother of three and my twin 13 year old boys really wanted to do this, as my partner is not very good with heights he declined and therefore I rose to the challenge. It is quite demanding physically so you do need to have reasonable level of fitness especially when climbing the rocks, ladders and constantly getting in and out of the water. The jumps range from around 5 meters to 9 meters and although we were a little apprehensive at first we soon got into the swing of things and were eager to take steps to the next level. The hardest thing for me was the ab-sailing having never done it before, let alone with water pouring down on top of me, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was simple enough but had I known that there was yet another plunge pool waiting for me I would have been a little more confident edging my way down. The instructions for this aspect could have been clearer however all in all we had an excellent time and ended the holiday on a high (jump). We also played the mini golf and thoroughly enjoyed that too especially as I won!!

Visited August 2011
4 Thank JustJaneK

Crewe, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“NOT For The Faint Hearted or Over Fifty !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

I foolishly imagined this might be a rather nice 'family activity' - what was I thinking !!??

Your first hurdle is squeezing into the wet suits provided in the mixed-sex changing rooms - just when you think you couldn't look any sillier, they also add a hard hat, wet suit slippers and a harness. However as the course is a cold water one, later you will be very glad that comfort triumphs over style here.

Understandably (we are in France after all) there is minimal instruction in english, but it is fairly self explanitary what you have to do at each stage, and the guides that take you around the course are friendly enough.

Basically there are 4 elements :
- jumping off very realistic looking cliffs at the height of around 5 metres into very deep cold water plunge pools. Warning there are higher ones than this - though the much higher ones are strictly optional !
- sliding into plunge pools down artifical waterfalls - which is slightly better, as you can't see what's coming next ! ....ie. 'the drop' as the cliff face drops off ! There is even one into an underground cavern - a black hole (though it is well lit once inside).
- abseiling down artificial rock faces with water pouring down on you.
- a final 200m zip wire across from the artifical rock face, to another pool at the end of the course.

You should be warned that this is a fairly physically demanding activity as mostly you have to part-pull yourself by rope, and part scramble, up the slopes to the next activity, after dropping down the last...a week later and I am still feeling the aches and pains, and wishing I had kept up that gym routine ! You will need good upper arm strength, and not be carrying too much weight, to do the zip wiring at the end, as you will have to carry your body weight on your hands/arms - the strain is not taken by the harness (though it is attached for safety), as it normally is at many zip wire activity centres.

I do have some health and safety concerns - not so much about the actual jumps and falls but their (occasional) use of vertical steel ladders beween some of activities. These were very high with minimal, to no, safety barriers - climbing high steel ladders with wet hands, wet feet and a wet suit, is surely an accident waiting to happen ?

It does say it is recommended from 8 years up but my daughter who is a plucky 10 year old was too daunted to do most of the jumps...it would have been alot better if they had different jump levels to suit all nerotic states.ie for whimps, semi whimps, almost brave and the brave + etc. Even my 14 year boy, who generally enjoyed it, was hesitant at times and did not do all the challenges.
If you are wondering if it is going to be suitable for you and your party, you can go and view the course from a viewing platform inside the centre - I don't think there is any charge to do this and you might be wise to do so, as at around £100 for a family of 2 adults /2 children, you might save yourself some unnecessary expenditure.

To be honest if you are NOT a thrill seeker,and/or don't enjoy the scary rides at the fair, etc, then stick to the excellent mini golf next door, as you are more likely to endure this, to enjoy it !
However, I'm sure this is quite unique activity is a must for all young twenty somethings and/or those who like to feel their heart beating in their chest once in a while !

Visited June 2011