“Better than other reviews have said[2]”

Campanile Paris Nord - Saint Denis Centre - Grand Stade
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Saint-Denis
Reviewed January 22, 2012

The service is very nice. In the restaurant are very attentive. The hotel is very good, well equipped, free wi-fi and near the metro. The only problem is the location too far from the turists points, metro very crowded there. Unsafe, but if you are careful, there will be no problems.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank helenamcd

Reviewed November 24, 2011

This hotel is equipped with very old furniture, it needs a renovation very urgently!! Apart from that, the room was really dirty and not cosy at all. Some receptionists were really kind and helpful; however, others have a deal with taxi driver and once you asked them to call a ataxi for you, they call a specific one for which you may wait even half an hour and then give youa very high rate becaus ethe receptionist gets commision on that. It's very far from the city centre, but has quite a good connection. I will for sure not come back again and I would definitely not recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Diana S
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Just stayed at this hotel and would definitely stay again. I had read some bad reviews about it before we left and I was a little anxious. I shouldn't have bothered worrying myself. The person who described it as 'one step up from a Hostel' has obviously never stayed in a Hostel. The hotel is clean, serviceable and very handy for the Metro. The staff were helpful and the rooms were basic but clean. The towels were changed daily. There was tea and coffee making facilities in the room as well as a TV (at no extra charge) and free wi-fi. We found the breakfast more than adequate, but then we are used to continental breakfasts. The restaurant wasn't opened in the evening (don't know about lunchtime as we were sightseeing) but there is a lovely wee Italian restaurant that we enjoyed just a 5min walk away. The hotel is in a predominately black area but we encountered no problems at all and at no time did we feel intimidated, even late at night. Do be warned that, off season, there are very few eateries open after 8pm. The Metro is literally outside the hotel, the downside of this is that we didn't explore this part of St Denis as much as we might have.

We did get lost getting there but that was because we took a wrong turn as we were walking from the RER station at the Stade de France. We should have done our homework a bit better and we would have known that we could have got the 239, 235 or 153 bus from the bus stops outside the station (same side of road) and we would have been there in 10mins. The bus stops right outside the hotel. We got the 239 for our return journey so I know for sure that it takes you from A to B.

There is a market in the square and surrounding streets next to the hotel Friday's and Sundays. It's hectic but there are some good buys to be found.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trouper9
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I booked a triple room with 3 beds, arrived to a room with 2 beds, offered to exchange room for one with a double and a single bed. This was not acceptable as I was travlling with my daughter and her cousin (both 18years old). They then gave me 2 more rooms to look at, both had only 2 beds. After I refused to allow him to put another bed in our room which was already just big enough for the girls suitcases, they compromised and let me have another twin room which was probably the highlight of our stay.
I had a coupon from Octopus travel to say my room was paid for. The hotel said this was not enough and demanded I pay again and they would re-imburse me. I refused so I then had to go on to my email account and then onto my on-line banking account to show that the money had been paid to Octopus travel (thank god they had wifi). This Hotel is situated in the heart of the African-French community but we did find it very easy to get around as the Metro is adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
2  Thank pippym
Reviewed July 10, 2011

DON'T STAY HERE. As soon as we arrived in the area we had decided to find another hotel as we felt uneasy. While trying to find somewhere to park, our car was smash and grabed, we lost 2 handbags with everything in it, thankfully the third person with us still had hers and our passports were not in them or we would have been totaly stranded. The Police were excellent as was the hotel manager who found us a hotel on our route home. The rooms were not the best and no signs to their carpark which was underground. We did not stay, leaving with widow smashed as soon as we could.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Norlyght
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We have checked-in 2 rooms by Campanile Paris Saint-Denis on 07 April and checked-out on 09 April 2011.

After VISA payment we realised that we wouldl not take breakfast in the hotel. The receptionist told us that the additional breakfast cost of €9 per person would be reimbursed together with the CASH guarantee of hair-dryer €20 when we would check-out.

On the day of check-out, the receptionist told us that the CASH BOX was closed (what a coincident) and he said that Campanile would reimburse us ??? Strange that he didn't mention how he's going to reimburse us, so I wrote down our details again for every possible modes of REFUND : our names, room numbers, address (in case that they would ever send a cheque), IBAN account number (if they would do a bank transfer). They could also reimburse directly back into VISA account or PAYPAL account ...

Believe me, speaking French and living 200 Km from Paris won't encourage them to send the payment, but at least you could understand the excuses that they used. It seems that Campanile wants to keep the money till next time we stay in the hotel again. What an excellent inspiration of marketing strategy.

We need an invoice so we wrote to them still twice via email but never get a reply. The reimbursement is not much but it's the principle, a simple reply would be much appreciated. What a service !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tainea
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This hotel is located near the St Denis Metro ( Line 13) which offers connectivity to La Chapelle which is a pararell station to Paris Nord. The last station on the line is St Denis University

This is the second station on the long distance train network from Paris Nord and then the 3rd tram stop and a short walk to reach the station. This is located very close to the Hotel De-ville.

The structure of the hotel is strange and is a elongated curve to save space possibly
Rack Rates are between 100-125 E depending on the season.
Located next to the St Denis Basilica which is a major tourist attaraction
Internet access is free. Reception provides the login : Room 9000 / PW : ALEXANDRE
Macdonalds and KFC are located within a 5 minutes walk
Carrefour also has an outlet in front of the hotel
The reception staff speak mainly in French but were polite.
The surrounding area seems to be lower middle class and ethnic minorites
Breakfast is complimentary. Choice is limited and there were no eggs
The carpets were frayed and needs replacement
There was also smell emanating from the bathroom possibly to a blocked drainage

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family