“Just what I expected”

Ibis Budget Paris Porte de Pantin
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Pantin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Myself and two friends stayed at the hotel for three nights in early June. Having read some comments on here, I was a little wary of the location and the hotel but I couldn't have been more surprised. It was a very short walk from two Metro stops with a large, nearby supermarket (E.Leclerc) and several boulangeries practically on the doorstep. The area was no worse than some areas of central Paris and we attracted no attention as a group of three women in their early 20s, wandering around the environs of the hotel. As applies to most places, as long as you act confident, try to look as though you know where you're going and don't speak English too loudly, you won't run into any problems. There were a number of (usually American) tourists who were guilty of the latter especially and that will grab people's attention, marking you out as a target.

As for the hotel itself, the staff we met were friendly. We always received a 'bonjour' and 'bonsoir' upon leaving and returning to the hotel, and check-in was simple. Although we spoke in French, the gentleman behind the desk had been willingly talking in perfectly acceptable English to someone on the phone whilst we waited. The rooms were cleaned daily: the towels replaced (there were three: one per person), the toilet paper replenished, beds made and the bin emptied. We were on the ground floor at the front of the building but heard no noise from traffic or pedestrians at any point, and very little from the surrounding rooms. Although we did not have breakfast at the hotel, I thought it was fairly priced and plentiful when we left the hotel. There are - as I mentioned above - a number of small bakeries nearby for those who decline breakfast.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rachel T

Reviewed June 18, 2012

What I didn't appreciate about this hotel, firstly, is its location. I found this hotel too far away from the city-center of Paris. There were times in the mornings when I would experience inertia to even explore Paris when I thought about how time-consuming it is to travel to the city-center of Paris and then back to the hotel at the end of the day.

Secondly, I didn't feel safe in the neighbourhood--especially at night--where this hotel is located in as the people in the neighbourhood came across as rough. I would strongly advise female travellers against staying in this hotel because even a tall guy like me felt uneasy and unsafe in the neighbourhood. And because the neighbourhood doesn't feel safe, you would find yourself wanting to return to the hotel before the sun sets. That, as a result, prevents you from exploring Paris at night when it is the most beautiful.

Thirdly, I didn't appreciate the quality of service offered by one of the hotel's male staff who couldn't speak English well. He can come across as rude, condescending, and impatient when you try asking him questions in English. There was also this one time I saw him exhibiting a certain lewd gesture while bantering with his 2 other colleagues in the hotel lobby--hardly the thing a staff should do in plain view of a hotel guest and in a public area.

Overall, my advice to travellers is that you would be better off choosing a hotel that is in or near to the city-center of Paris. The money that you save from choosing this budget hotel doesn't outweigh the perks (safety, better service, shorter travelling time, availability of amenities, and proximity to key sights) of living in or near to the city-center of Paris. My travel experience at this hotel has taught me that I would, in future, spend a bit more money to stay in or near to the city-center of any city I visit in exchange for peace of mind, safety, and convenience. Cheers.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed there for five days in 2 family rooms (there were 8 of us) and we were quite satisfied with the rooms and service. We ordered it online and had no problem with the reservation. The staff was really nice and helpful, the rooms were cleaned daily and, despite the fact that the rooms were getting stuffy in the morning, we could easily take down the blockade from the window and open it fully to let some air in. The hotel is not far from the RER station, which is a great way to get to the city centre, and there are bakeries, pizzerias and grocery stores around, so we chose to buy food nstead of ordering breakfast. After reading some of the reviews I thought that the area would be terrible, but it wasn't that bad, twice we came back to the hotel late at night and we didn't notice anything unsafe in the neighbourhood. The only problem we had was with one of the ladies at the RER station -she didn't speak English well (and we don't speak French) and was rude- she printed wrong number of the tickets and made us pay for the ticket we didn't order, but the next day there was a much nicer lady. All in all it's a perfect place for people travelling on a tight budget like ourselves.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Justyna_Agnieszka
Reviewed May 28, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vinayBS
Reviewed May 10, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I booked this Hotel online, not knowing the area. Before even getting to the Hotel I was advised by two different people (one a Conceriege at an information center & another Etap Hotel Employee - where I did stay) that this is located in an unsafe area & they personally would not stay there. I tried to transfer my reservation to another recommended Etap Hotel but was unable to thus I had to canceled my reservation and pay a cancellation fee. The Etap (Ibis) Hotel where I did stay was in Courbevoie France - I would recommend this one - reasonable but simple and located in a safe area!!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pantin
Campanile Paris Est - Pantin
Canal Suites (Suite Home)
Ibis Paris Pantin Eglise
Campanile Paris 19 - La Villette
B&B Hotel Paris Porte de la Villette
Mercure Paris porte de Pantin

Been to Ibis Budget Paris Porte de Pantin? Share your experiences!