“Nice food in a decent restaurant”
Review of Ashiana

Ashiana
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Nice food in a decent restaurant”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Myself and 3 of my colleagues ate here. Prices probably were a little higher than other restaurants nearby but the food was good. Not the best curry I've ever had but it was very tasty and my chicken biryani was full of chicken.

Service felt slower than some Indian restaurants I've been to previously but the waiters were attentive. The night we were in the restaurant I think there were quite a few tables arrived just in front of us so this may have accounted for things being a little slow. Air-conditioning in the restaurant helped to keep things nice at our table which was a big deal as one of our party is not that good at putting up with hot weather.

• Visited June 2012

Paris, France
“Bland flavourless overpriced food, extremely disappointing”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I went to Ashiana with my father having read reviews on this site. We both love Indian food and have enjoyed some fantastic examples all over the world, particularly in London. On arrival I was excited by the ambience of the place and, although somewhat shocked by the prices (even by London standards) we placed our order and eagerly awaited our food. To our great disappointment, the food was bland and flavourless. The curry sauce basically a few small cubes of meat in a tasteless thin gravy. There was no rich tomatoe depth, no heat and no sign of any spice, fresh or otherwise. I can truly say that I have tasted better curry from a tin whilst a student. Please dont waste your time or your money in this restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank LondonParis55
Gurgaon
“Delicious Indian food”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hello, I went there with my french colleagues. One of colleagues has never had Indian food.. I found this restaurant searching on net and some french maps.. the visit was worth the walk from Le Sablons to the restaurant..My colleagues had ordered the fix meals whereas I opeted for la-carte. The Veg biryani, Dal Makhni and naan was really delicious..
The only thing missing was warmth and hospitality of the owner / staff.. they were helpfull but lack smile on their face.. unlike of any Indian Restaurant anywhere..
Overall a good experience.

• Visited September 2011
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“A Good Curry, But Expensive For British People.”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Seven of us ate here early in October 2011, after attending the Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe at Longchamps, which is 2km away- a 45 minute walk.

My wife and I ate from the €29 prix fix menu. We had popadoms and pickles, which were complimentary. We had starters of tandoori chicken and lamb kebabs. Starters were served with fresh nan bread. The main courses were lamb rogan josh and chicken korma, with saffron rice. Service was good. Our vegetarian friend considered her biryani to be dry and unremarkable.

Dessert was two scoops of ice cream, and two different flavours were offered from a choice of about 10. The ice cream was of superior quality.

33cl bottles of Kingfisher beer cost about €6 a bottle.

A La Carte looked as if it would cost considerably more than what we paid, which was €80 for the two of us, including a tip. This was only about €10 less than we paid for a three course meal at an authentic French bistro, where we drank a good Burgundy, a couple of nights before.

I think that a decision to go for a curry, in Paris, is a debatable decision, if you live somewhere like Wolverhampton, where a very good curry will set you back about half of what we paid at the Ashiana. France does not have a curry tradition. Its colonies were in North Africa, so Algerian/ Morroccan food is a better and more economical bet than curry.

I stress that there was nothing wrong with our food, but it palled slightly paying €40 a head for a decent, but very average curry.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Idler
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good value for the money / a reliable choice”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Ashiana is certainly not the best Indian in town nor the least expensive but this restaurant has become our regular adress then we crave for an Indian/Pakistanese restaurant near La Défense, just a few meters from the "Pont de Neuilly" subway station.

There is a lot of choice from the menu, correctly priced red wines served at the right temperature (which is pretty rare in that kind of place) and very helpful staff who speaks English.

Next door is the Big Ben Pub, perfect for a pint and just around the corner, the sequoia bar which is perfect for a nightcap before heading home.

• Visited November 2010