“Couldn't ask for better”

Campanile Paris Ouest - Nanterre - La Defense
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Nanterre
scotland
“Couldn't ask for better”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I went with.a school group and it was one of the best holidays ever! The food was amazing and the staff were great to talk to even if my french isnt good! The only thing i would change is add rooms to sit like larger sitting area's! I would reccomad for families too!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Hodgey09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Italy/Alaska
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This was my second stay at Campanile Nanterre so it can't be all that bad, right?

The rooms are adequate size and the bed is comfortable. There is free internet and although the speed is not very high I certainly appreciated having the ability to connect.

Each room has coffee/tea service and kettle which we find very convenient as we are night owls and never meet the breakfast service times.

The price is far less, at 61,00 euro per night for weekends and 118,00 per night for weekdays than anything you could find in Paris center. Free secured, on site, car parking is a big plus for me and the main reason I stay here. The restaurant on site has some good food with friendly service and at reasonable prices.

A few of the front desk people speak excellent English and are friendly.

The cons...the hotel advertises that you have control of the TEMPS in the room, but we were very hot and wanted to turn down the temps. After two days of asking the front desk to have someone fix our thermostat/air con and being told they would take care of it - we finally were told on the third day that the air con isn't on in March because it is winter! Being from Alaska, outside temps of 68/72 degrees, and higher in the room, is hardly winter! We couldn't sleep because the room was so hot. Opening the window brought a bit of respite in temp but more irritation because of the noise from the parking lot and the meeting hall across from the hotel where partying was taking place till after 3 a.m..

Staff should have informed us immediately of the heat/air con policy so we could have made other arrangements - and - Campanile should not advertise such an amenity.

HOUSEKEEPING: We had the Do Not Disturb on the door but the maid kept coming into our room starting around 9:30 a.m. - and twice afterwards! When we complained to the front desk, they suggested we stop by the front desk before going to bed to tell them we do not want to be disturbed so they can tell the maids. Utterly ridiculous! Do not Disturb means Do not Disturb...why would they have the guests have to remember to tell the front desk so the front desk can tell housekeeping each night?

DISTANCE: Yes, as other posters have commented, there is a walk to the RER...but on this trip, we were able to ascertain that the 159 bus stops across from the hotel and takes you to La Defense where you can easily connect with the Metro and the RER with Metro 1/Yellow taking you to Hotel d'ville/Chatelet...or you can hop on the 73 Bus which will take you on a scenic trip to Champs elysees ending at the Muse d'Orsay.

A Paris Visitor's Pass was the most convenient and least expensive way to get around the city - so no big deal hopping on and off buses and metro! And, if I were traveling back to the hotel at night, alone, I wouldn't be concerned on the bus as I might be having to walk through the park for my safety.

RESERVATION: After making the reservation, I asked for directions to the hotel. I did not have Internet access/printer to do the Google Map thing....the reservation person sent me directions but I found out as I was going around, and around, and around, and around the area that they were not complete - only indicated the exit when coming from the Charles de Gaulle airport.

I would have appreciated a bit more detail and understanding in response to my requests.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the parking area are noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank alaskaitaly
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here whilst on a business trip and as my meetings were in La Defense this hotel was nearby and therefore the location suited me. It was still a good 15 minute walk from the nearest train station (Nanterre-Prefecture) and on the edge of the La Defense Business district so I wouldn't recommend it as a base if you are visiting Paris as a tourist.

The hotel rooms themselves were basic but very clean. The room I stayed in was a twin and the single bed was comfortable. The bathroom is basic but again was very clean. There are limited toiletries (soap dispenser) so if you rely on these being available then please bring your own (I always do but I one of my colleagues didn't bring any shampoo as she relies on hotel toiletries). The air conditioning in the room was comfortable and adjustable.

We had breakfast in the hotel the next morning and it was OK. It was a basic continental breakfast with fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, meats, cheeses and croissants. Hot drinks are dispensed from a central machine and not provided fresh. It was adequate for what I wanted.

Room Tip: Specifically request a double even if travelling solo!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NZChickPlymouth
Paris, France
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The location of this hotel is NEAR La Defense, but not IN La Defense, like its name and website claims. You actually have to walk across a big park (10 to 20 minute walk) to get to the Nanterre Prefecture RER station, where you will need to get the zone 4 RER tickets to get to La Defense. According to locals, the area is also not very safe. I walked around the area for a bit and there is NOTHING around unless you walk across to the park.

The staff there isn't that friendly or helpful. The room is very bare and minimal, doesnt seem all that clean, and the bathroom is a bit mouldy. The lobby and restaurant is pretty though. The Internet works well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lynnie_poops
essex
Reviewed September 5, 2010

the hotel is in an awful area, unsafe to walk about, very cheap to stay but does not make up for the extremly noisy surrounding area. would never stay here again! on a plus the staff were helpful.

Stayed May 2010
1 Thank scarymaryEssex

Travelers are raving about these Nanterre hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 26, 2010

If you want to be treated worst than rubbish and have no sleep whatsoever (there's some kind of disco next to it), this is your hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spring1900
Prague
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Go for it, if you want to spend some money to get no sleep and meet arrogant staff (obviously, if you dont speak french). I dont think I had ever been to worse place. Next doors music club is VERY loud all night at weekends and we were assured (at 2am) at the reception that it happens all the weekends and they play till at least 5am, and also we were assured that receptionists dont care about guests not being able to get any sleep. We saw they have many keys still available, but when asked to transfer us to the room on the opposite direction from the club, the man receptionist just told us he has nothing available and he is perfectly happy about where we are. I dont know, maybe if you speak french, its a different story, but in my opinion its the worst lodging experience I have ever had..

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ManaPet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanterre
Ibis Budget Nanterre La Defense
Mercure Paris La Defense Grande Arche Hotel
L'Amandier
L'Amandier
#3 of 9 in Nanterre
Qualys-Hotel Nanterre La Defense
Ibis Nanterre La Defense
Best Western Rives de Paris La Defense

Been to Campanile Paris Ouest - Nanterre - La Defense? Share your experiences!