“A real gem”

Los Altos, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A real gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We ate lunch here before flying out from CDG Paris. We had the 3 course lunch and found the the food and friendly service to be wonderful. The main courses, 4 examples of brie from the area and the desserts were the highlights of the meal. The interior of the restaurant is homey and comfortable. The highly competent chef walked around to greet the guests and was very welcoming. If we lived a few thousand miles closer, we would be regular customers.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Murray_in_California

Tunbridge Wells
“Fabulous little restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Owned and run by a couple this is the classic French restaurant. Dirty looking on the outside but inside is nice and this guy can really cook. His dad used to have a two star Michelin restaurant and he tells me he learnt to cook there at the age of 11. The steaks are fab but the rest is also special

Visited June 2012
Mannheim, Germany
“A Real Find If You Make The Effort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I came across Auberge du Champs de Mars as I was walking into town from the Hotel Kyriad where I was staying. To be honest it’s on a busy dual carriageway and you would miss it in a car travelling at speed. I think they have rooms but it is the restaurant that is the real find. It’s the sort of place you read about in the Sunday paper travel section when the correspondent goes on about this unspoilt French restaurant. It’s the sort of place you expect Rick Stein to pop up in.

The decor is charmingly old world rather than designer plastered on and I think it is a chef proprietere and wife organisation. I had the 27 euro menu Starters were a delicious dish of avocado prawns and smoked salmon with some dressed leaves and a nice sauce in a thin line round he edge of the plate. The main course was an incredibly tasty piece of calves liver with a raspberry vinegar sauce served with a selection of vegetables. They had a great and varied cheese board they wheeled it up and you picked what you wanted none of the four smears on a plate stuff. The desert was profteroles in a delicious chocolate sauce. All in all it was classic good everyday French cooking no fancy foams etc. I would willingly go back again to this place and it wasn’t listed n trip advisor so I had to write tot hem to put it in because I thought they deserved a real good write up. You can reach it by taxi from central Meaux for about 8 euros. By contrast I ate at another much more upscale place in Meaux and the meal wasn't half as good.

• Visited July 2011