“misadvised”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Gennevilliers
London
“misadvised”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a poor holiday due to staying at this hotel, but it was Thomas Cook rather than the hotel's fault, as it's Thomas Cook rather than the hotel that pretended it was something it wasn't. I pointed out that it was to be a romantic weekend away in Paris to celebrate a special occasion, was told by the (lovely but misinformed store staff) that it was near the Louvre in the centre of Paris, only a short walk from the Eurostar station and they would ask for a nice view. I paid substantially more than I would have done would I have just booked direct, but good advice and a special occasion are worth paying for.

When we turned up, we handed a taxi driver the address, he looked at us like we were crazy and said 'This isn't in Paris!'. Needless to say, we then drove for what seemed like ages to a grotty industrial area where our 'romantically situated' hotel was. The view was romantic, if you have an industrial estate fetish, but my partner wasn't too impressed, needless to say.

If you want to stay somewhere in the vicinity of the hotel, and you don't mind travelling in & out of Paris, it's fine for what you pay. The reception staff were delightful. The rooms weren't too bad - clean enough, and it's good value for money, if you don't mind the above. My only gripe is I was completely mis-sold the holiday by Thomas Cook, and it wasn't remotely like what I was told it was. I have since contacted them several times, and their answer is 'It is the customer's responsibility to check such things'. In other words, they're saying 'If we tell you something, we may not be telling the truth, and it's your responsibility to check we are'. Sorry? I thought the reason I paid over the top for the holiday rather than going to the hotel and Eurostar direct is because of the 'added value' Thomas Cook provide? Like 'advice and service'? Both have been pitiful. That's not the hotel's fault. They don't have a website saying 'We're in the middle of Paris, near all the best sites!'. That fault lies with the charlatans that are Thomas Cook.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason M

• Greek first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 4, 2011

When I'm choosing a hotel, I usually read tripadvisor to get a good overview. This time I didn't and it was a very bad choice.
Get to the hotel is not easy. The rooms are not for non-smokers, the one we stayed, have a a smell to cigarette very annoying.
The rooms don't have isolation at all, so we could hear everything from other rooms, and on top of that the doors of the rooms make a tremendous amount of noise every time someone opened one.
The staff at the reception was not very helpful either.
Don't go here if you have a choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank znieto

Travelers are raving about these Gennevilliers hotels

Oud-Beijerland, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 17, 2011

we were here to sleep and eat. nothing more or less. reastaurant is closed in the weekend. breakfast was ok.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RemcoH
Chirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2009

we had the misfortune to stay here when we went to watch a game at the stade du france.
The only good thing is the staff,very friendly.the rest is downhill,the rooms are well past their sell by date and smell a bit.its in the middle of nowhere and it takes 40mins to walk through an area like bagdad from the stade,unless you want to pay 70 euros from the taxi thieves.its 10mins+ walk to the station where you can't buy tickets to go into paris,we hopped on anyway hoping to sort it out on arrival,that was fun sorting that out i can tell you.anyway,if you want to see paris easily,spend a bit more and go elsewhere towards humanity.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Let me start with saying that we are not lazy people and walking is not a problem for us. But.. To get to hotel from airport takes 1.5-2 hours, need to take train, metro and the bus. Between the metro and bus, we paid us 10 euro each person, One way. The biggest issue is the bus. We arrived to Paris in PM hours, buses to hotel from metro come maybe once an hour. We got to hotel, checked in and wanted to go to city, it was 9:20 PM. We went to bus stop, stood there in cold and wind for one hour, there were no buses. We realized how risky it would be even later at night to get back to hotel if at 9 PM buses don't get there, so we went back to hotel and spent a night. I did see the bus finally get to the bus stop at 10:40 PM. Same problem was in the morning. We stood at the stop from 6:05 AM until 7 until bus finally came. So.. if you are going to Paris to stand at a bus stop, which I am sure you not.. I know in review before mine, people are saying that you can walk to metro. And when I read that review, I said - great, we can do that -10 minute walk, not a problem. We asked the hotel staff twice to let us know how to walk to metro, and they told us that we should go to bus stop instead because the road to metro is not easy to find, especially since it was already dark when we got there.
The hotel is in a bad, unsafe area. Buildings around it look destroyed.
Room itself wasn't terrible, bathroom was not clean.
I know it's cheap, but you are going to waste your time and money going back and forth. Because it is in totally other direction, away from all the things you want to see in Paris. We ended up not being able to see anything because we only had one night and stupidly stayed in this hotel. I really hope I talked you out of staying there.
or and to add.. there are no restaurants around hotel, the closest one is 1 km away. There is a restaurant in hotel, but it is closed during weekends. so, we went hungry too..
Find another hotel that may cost you a bit more, but if you add up the Euros you'll spend getting from this hotel somewhere and back and the cold you'd get from standing on the rain and the wind on the bus stop (which I am still fighting), trust me, it is worth paying a bit more and staying closer to center.

• Liked — nothin
  • Disliked — terrible location, unsafe area
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank mytravelexperiences1
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 23, 2007

This hotel is about a 10 min ride on the RER to the Eiffel Tower, a 10 min walk to the train station, is easy to find if you can read a map! It's not a tourist area but we had the best meal locally than we did anywhere in central paris, its a cafe on the corner of a junction you go through on your way to the train station. We found the rooms to be basic but clean. Although we did have everything we wanted in a room, it was cleaned everyday, fresh towels and beds changed, hairdryer included in the rooms (which I always love), tea and coffee facilities and a tv with Canal Plus. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Much cheaper than any other hotel I looked at.

• Liked — Reasonably priced for Paris
  • Disliked — checking out at 5am was difficult - night staff couldnt use the computers!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Catho83
derry
Reviewed July 13, 2007

this hotel was extremely difficult to find even with sat nav
when we finally got there it was in a very run down area
with no restaurants or bars .we had to get the bus to the metro
the hotel itself wasnt very clean the rooms were dark and we even had cobwebs on the ceiling.an experience never to be repeated and the pictures on the hotel website are not accurate
there is a very noisy recycling plant behind the hotel

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank palom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gennevilliers
Executive Hotel Paris Gennevilliers
Ibis budget Gennevilliers Asnieres
Courtyard Paris Saint Denis
Courtyard Paris Saint Denis
#3 of 17 in Saint-Denis
Campanile Paris Nord - Saint Denis - Quai De St Ouen Pleyel
Premiere Classe Paris Ouest - Gennevilliers Barbanniers
B&B Hotel Paris Saint Denis Pleyel

Been to Hotel Gallieni? Share your experiences!