“Gutted! Our favourite restaurant has changed hands and gone downhill.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Sol'fe - CLOSED

Le Sol'fe
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Gutted! Our favourite restaurant has changed hands and gone downhill.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Le Sol'fe used to be our favourite restaurant which we visited every time we came to Compiegne (my wife is from here and I'm from England). We came to the restaurant last night and unfortunately left very disappointed.
It is usually very busy with a lovely atmosphere but we were surprised to find it almost empty on our arrival. After our food arrived (very quickly) we understood why. The previous chef/cook gave us incredible meals, prepared to the highest standard, presented in a beautiful manner. This chef gave us lazily prepared basic food. The foi gras starter with BURNT toast triangles was very ordinary at best. No little garnish or remarkable presentation at all. The main arrived before our starters were finished. I ordered the stuffed rabbit which turned out to be a rabbit leg that didn't taste of rabbit or anything else really due to the massive amount of raw garlic on it. Again, very poorly presented. Finally my Tiramisu de fruit was basically false advertising. Soggy tasteless fruit that was obviously from a cheap frozen packet at the bottom of a glass with squirty cream from a can on top. It was so bad I couldn't eat it and I'm certainly not a fussy eater!
There was no atmosphere, everything was rushed and the staff hardly spoke to us (and could do with some deodorant. BO is not appetizing!).
The only reason I'm giving 2 out of 5 instead of 1 out of 5 is because they forgot to charge us for the wine! Still, 70 euros for what we received is way overpriced. We left hungry.
We won't be returning and we are really really sad about it because it used to be a little gem of a place.

• Visited August 2011