“Un excellent souvenir”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Onzain
Mamoudzou, Mayotte
“Un excellent souvenir”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Domaine des hauts de Loire, and we loved our time in this hotel, we definitely want to go back !

What we loved :
The staff is welcoming and warm, we felt immediately at ease, they thoughtfully prepared a birthday cake for my wife, and the somelier provide excellent counsel. The staff makes a real difference.
We had two breakfast and two gastronomique diner at the hotel and we found the food outstanding.
We enjoyed riding a bicycle in the park
We enjoyed the massage in our room

What we did not love :
The château itself and the rooms are neat and charming but far from breathtaking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pierre M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Mexico
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here with very high , it was supposed to be the highlight of our France vacations and we left with very disappointed.
The hotel itself is nice but not outstanding as you would expected at over $ 500 per night.
Our room, I believe a deluxe king, was just unacceptable, old furniture with missing paint, the carpet in urgent need of a replacement, worn also it was clean it seemed dirty.
The room a three star at is best. I did send a note to the GM after our stay and he offered a complimentary night, if I would like to come back, which I wont.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Travel G
Eric H, Directeur général at Domaine des Hauts de Loire, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am very surprise by your comment.
I already send you a direct answer and told you that I was at your disposal to find the best solution if you would like to come back.
You told me in your message about the noise your neighbours did and never about carpet or rate.
I was agree about the noise and that's the reason why I offered you a compensation.
Unfortunately I am completely disagree with your last comment.
The room you stayed in was a Standard room and certainly not a deluxe at 500 $, and you stayed two nights.
Concerning the carpet, we bought it two years ago, it is not old, but perhaps we have to think about the colour that let you think that it's not clean.
Dear mister please accepts again all my apologies for the disadvantage you suffered for.
I can understand them; you don't need to ad wrong information.
In you next comment, please just tell the truth, and if you change your mind I will really be very happy to treat you for your next stay.
I remain at your disposal.
Orinda, California
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with very high expectations. I left with flea bites. I could just stop there but I shall give details: staff is lovely and gracious both in the hotel and restaurant. The hotel itself is pretty but not outstanding. Our room, I believe a deluxe king, was large and decorated in traditional French toile fashion. The room was shabby. Carpet was especially worn. Bed only OK. We ate in the restaurant-service impeccable and food very good as it should have been given the cost. When we woke up next morning we had flea bites. I attribute this to the French policy of allowing dogs in rooms. That's fine but really make sure there are no fleas. Overall a disappointment given the reputation and glowing reviews this hotel receives. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank sftcat
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to wright this revue.
I am very sorry that your stay was not what you expected.
I can guarantee that we are refurbishing some rooms every year.
I will appreciate if you can contact me to talk about that and let me know witch room you stayed.
Concerning the flea, our rooms are cleaned every day and I can assure you that it is certainly not a dog that brings a flea.
We have a special service for the dog, (Basket), they are not accepted in the rooms with carpets and there is a special attention for the cleaning of the rooms the dog stayed in.
We are in the middle of the wood and it is possible a mosquito or a spider bites you.
I am very sorry for that but in a country house it could happen.
Nevertheless, I am very sorry for the inconvenient you suffered from.
Please accept all my apologies.
I wish you will not stay on bad memories, and I invite you to contact me directly.
I will be happy to treat you for your next stay.
I remain at your disposal.
Mamaroneck, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2013

As soon as you turn off rue Gilbert Navard into the long tree lined entrance to this place you will immediately realize how stunning this place really is. The property is absolutely beautiful with the houses built on what feels like a nature preserve. There are a number of walking trails from 15 minutes up to 45 minutes that let you tour through the wodded areas of the grounds. You will come across beautiful ponds and even may pass a few black swans along your way. While it was too cold for us to swim, the swimming pool looked like great and definitely an amenity we would have enjoyed if it had been a few degrees warmer (my wife and I visited in early October).

The real majesty of this place is the hotel and the staff. You are welcomed into a homey, but elegant lobby where you will be greeted by an extremely friendly and helpful person at the front desk. It is here that we also first met William (a delightful employee at the hotel who always seemed to be there). I specifically mention him because he paid such careful attention to us and made us feel so welcome. Whether it be showing us to our room, welcoming us in the morning for breakfast, greeting us in the eveing for dinner or walking us to our car, William really embodied what this place is all about, impeccable service! It seemed like he was always there, and I just wanted to recognize we greatly appreciated his assitance and he left a lasting impression with us.

The room was very nicely appointed with exposed beams on the ceiling and plenty of space to spread out. The bed was extremely comfortable and the building itself was really quiet and relaxing.

The food was outstanding. We had the continental breakfast which consisted of freshly baked breads, crossiants, and other delectable baked goods. These were paired with a variety of fresh fruit jams. There was also a fruit basket with some delicious oranges and some other sweets. For dinner, we ate in the restaurant with far exceeded even it's 2 Michelin star rating. The food, service and ambience were absolutely perfect. We did not do the pre-fixe, but ordered a la carte. We both went with fish dishes, which were prepared spot on. There was an excellent wine list which featured a number of great local wines from the region.

The hotel is about a 10 minute drive from the river and the main roads of the area. You travel through a lovely little town Onzain. Since you are rather close to the D952, it is a great place to stay while you travel through the area to Chateaus and neighbroing towns. It was about 30 minutes from Château de Chambord and Château de Chenonceau, and is about 10-15 from a really the delightful Château de Chaumont (with incredible gardens).

I highly recommend that anyone traveling through the area makes it a point to stay at Domaine des Hauts de Loire. The only regret I have is that we only stayed two nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark D
Eric H, Directeur général at Domaine des Hauts de Loire, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments and for taking the time to write a so nice review.
It is always enjoyable to read so nice comment about our team and the property.

We all look forward to welcome you again

Thanks again.

Yours faithfully
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We celebrated our 16th anniversary at this immaculately kept, high-end property between Bloise and Amboise. The restaurant is justly celebrated and the staff is polite and friendly. For us, the best moments were low-key ones: watching sunlight break through massive thunderclouds over the fields or walking through the lovely gardens under a very bright full moon. $250 per night for the spacious Room 36, in the building out back from the main house. I'd suggest two or three nights, using the place as a home base for exploring the chateaus, wineries and nearby towns in the valley.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was so stunning. The service, grounds, and overall experience are beyond impeccable. The Michelin rated restaurant is a must try as well. This is such a beautiful place to come relax. Highly recommend.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The domain is beautiful ! Not far from the chateaux de la Loire and in itself a castle !
Everything is perfect ! The staff is the friendliest we have had the chance to meet in all the chateaux we did all,over the world , and that is quite a praise since staff in those were also
very nice. They make you feel at home and so welcome morning to night .
The food is awesome tough it could vary more . But then again if you ask they will make the
effort to cook something else for you.
We loved it even the pool is warm and welcoming :-))

Room Tip: Make sure you take a walk or a bicycle ride through the vines and all around their garden. We had r...