“Simple , fresh and great value”
Review of Le St Pere

Le St Pere
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Tonnerre
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited St Pere for lunch for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. The menu was extensive with various menu options, all at a very good value. The food was served with a smile by a team of very helpful and friendly waiting staff. The food was fresh, not over complicated but was made with care and attention. My menu selection was very enjoyable especially the ham and parsley terrine which was a local delicacy and a pleasure with a glass of the local wine. Glad we found this little place and will be back on our next visit.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

A nice restaurant located right before you get into the center of Tonnerre. Has ivy all over the building in the front making it unique. The inside has a collection of antique coffee grinders. Not a fine dining place with linens but a few steps up from average. The service was slow and we had to wait for our menu, someone to help us order and wait again for our meal. It was Saturday and it was quite full for lunch. We ordered the 20.50 euro lunch and it was very good. All the courses were delicious, the cod fish, beef, appetizer and the Pena cota was outstanding.

I would make reservations and get them in the front by the window. The tables were all taken so we were in the back by the kitchen in a corner.

One thing that blew my mind is that when I was waiting for my husband come out of the toilette, the hostess came out of the toilette and did not wash her hands, as the sink was outside of the toilette. I was not very happy to see that. Just had to mention this because I am not sure if I would have eaten there if I knew before this happened. But I give it a very good for the food.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed just outside Tonnerre at a lovely B&B, and when we asked for great place to dine, the hosts suggested Le St. Pere in Tonnere. We went to Tonnere for a little sightseeing, and even though the town looked more like a ghost town, we still made the reservation for the following evening at St. Pere. I must admit that we were a bit skeptical.
When we arrived at the St. Pere, we soon discovered that all the locals dined at St. Pere. And as soon as we tasted the first bite of the entree, we understood why.

We had ordered the traditional menu and our entrees were the vegetable tartar and the jambon persille (The local dish with ham and parsley). The dishes looked amazing. And I don't know how they are able to make simple vegetables dish with so much flavour. The jambon persille was amazing. It was home made, and the taste was incredible, especially the tartare sauce. Definitely the best jambon persille in Bourgogne.
We ordered the classical Boef Bourguignon and the veal in cream sauce for the main course. And the meat was perfectly cooked. It was in large chunks, but it was still so tender that it fell apart almost just by looking at it.
The desserts were lovely as well, even though we were almost to full to eat it.

The host was chaming and welcoming, and made sure all customers had a nice time. She really created a nice atmosphere at the restaurant. We also had the pleasure of being waited by the young waiter, and he was truly the most professional waiter we have met in ages.

We loved the place, and when we return to Bourgogne, we will definitely go back to this restaurant.

The only bad thing I have to say about this restaurant, is once you have tasted there food, all other meals in Bourgogne will fade compared to this.

1  Thank Lone N
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Tonnerre is an intersting enough town (albeit not as celebrated nor picturesque as its more famous neighbour, Chablis) but for us the highlight was a long lunch at Le St Pere. The restaurant was recommended to us by a wine merchant in Chablis and it did not disappoint. Madame was incredibly welcoming, happy to heat our baby's food and keep her entertained as we ate. We went for the 29 Euro menu. For entree, my wife had escargots whilst I had a baked St Florentin cheese with caramel (amazing). For main course, my scallops were delicious and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her orange duck cooked to perfection. The desserts were less exciting, but the local cheeses were as good as one woud expect with Epoisses just up the road! Overall, a great little find - unpretentious surroundings, Burgundian food at its best.

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Ten of us turned up without a reservation and Madame immediately rushed around pushing tables together and making us very welcome.
Very reasonably priced menu and simple food well cooked and presented. Wine prices are reasonable as well.