“Proof that you don't always get what you pay for”

Hotel ibis budget Macon sud
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Macon
Cormatin, France
“Proof that you don't always get what you pay for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Ever since the first time I heard the expression "you get what you pay for" it rubbed me the wrong way. And this hotel is living proof that it's wrong. From the moment I arrived, I was astounded by how outstanding and unusual this hotel was in terms of service. Angélique, the very friendly young woman at the reception desk, greeted me with a genuine smile and concern for my stay. She was so helpful and kind I was completely astounded. I have stayed in numerous 4 and 5-star hotels in France and have NEVER had anyone at reception be as welcoming and efficient as Angélique (except at the Georges V in Paris). But, yeah, the Georges V costs more than 5x than this Ibis Budget... I needed a cheap hotel for one night in Macon that had secure parking, WiFi, and accepted dogs. This place completely delivered, EXCEPT the WiFi. It took me over half an hour to get the WiFi to work (but again, Angélique was stellar and even waited on hold for ages with customer service at their internet service provider) and this was not the hotel's fault (except for their poor choice of Orange as ISP, Orange is the worst in France, but that's another story). Angélique was extremely apologetic about the problem and offered me a complimentary hot beverage to ease the pain of the hassle. Once I was connected, it was the slowest connection I have ever experienced, which made my work difficult, but again, this was not the fault of Ibis, but Orange. Otherwise, the room was small but perfectly clean, had everything I needed, and my dog felt at ease immediately. The breakfast was very inexpensive and more than adequate for the price, and the coffee was particularly tasty. I wouldn't recommend having a holiday here, but for my needs, it was almost perfect (a faster internet connection would have made it absolutely perfect).

Room Tip: I asked to be on the ground floor so it would make it easier to take my dog out, and Angélique happi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CathyFrance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
South Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for one night en route to Provence. We wanted a budget hotel that allowed us to break the journey and get a night's sleep without incurring a high cost. This Ibis was inexpensive, though - strangely - more expensive than the higher rated Ibis Style we stayed in the previous night in northern France.

The room reminded me of a youth hostel, so don't expect any frills. However, it was clean and the beds were reasonably comfortable. Having a third bed in the form of a bunk at right angles to the other beds saved space and pleased our son.

The air conditioning was barely adequate but we had no complaints about the bathroom.

We can't comment about the standard of the restaurant because we didn't stop for breakfast, preferring a croissant and coffee at the roadside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
expat The Hague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Check address and GPS input carefully otherwise you could arrive at the more up-market Ibis (sic) with piscine down the road!

We were en route from Costa Blanca.

No longer Etap this Ibis Budget version has hotel rooms like cabins on a DFDS/Stena ferry but they are clean and have novel showers with blue/red LED lights. Cool!

Room included a right angled bunk bed over a double, so slept three for EUR51.00. Plus breakfast at EUR5.56 pp.

Plenty of parking with CCTV.

Outside terrace dining with lovely sunset views over warehouses across the adjacent N6.

Salmon salad, entrecôte, creme brûlée, tarte au citron and a cheese plate washed down with Pays d'Oc rose was a relaxing way to finish heavy day's driving.

Free WiFi - well done Ibis!

All-in-all excellent value for money but please would Ibis improve signage from motorway and/or add Lat/Long coordinates for GPS as navigation round the industrial estates is not easy on first visit or at night.

• Stayed July 2013
Cornwall, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here as a convenient overnight stop travelling to Languedoc region. Rooms were basic, but very clean and free wifi. Don't expect any frills - no shower gel, shampoo, etc. but very adequate for our needs. Good value for money. We also paid extra for the cafeteria style breakfast which was excellent value. Help yourself to various foods and a drinks machine where you could have as many cups of coffee as you wanted. This again was very clean. The previous night we ate in the attached restaurant and had the "plat de jour" - 3 courses - and again excellent value. The owner spoke very little English and we not enough French to understand her and so had a nice surprise when the food arrived!! Drinks also were very reasonable. Would certainly return to this hotel if we needed to again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a very basic hotel, reminded me of my college dormitory! Don't come here if you need space to spread out and cushy amenities, but do stop here if you just need a VERY clean, easy in and out, for very little money. The staff is friendly and helpful, there is a breakfast area (additional charge) and an attached restaurant if you are really looking for convenience. We came up from Provence for two days of wine tasting in the area and just wanted a place to crash for the overnight. It was perfect. There were several older traveling couples and a lot of young business people.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JGinA2
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Very simple, clean hotel right off the autoroute, south of Macon which is very accessible if you're wanting to drive along the Rue du Vin. I was pleasantly surprised at how immaculate yet comfortable and spacious the room was. There's very little to the room in terms of extras (e.g. no tea or coffee), but what is there is well done.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful; I had car trouble and had to make a few local phone calls which they did for me since my French was not up to par.

Breakfast is buffet style and includes a few cereals, different kinds of breads, yogurts, cheeses, mixed fruit, and the coffee/tea which all suited me just fine. If you're looking for a spread of meats and eggs, too, then this is not the place for you.

Parking is ample and free. Wifi is also free but can be a bit spotty, yet reliable enough.

Room Tip: Avoid the low numbered rooms ex) 102, 202, etc because they are right next to the stairwell which ca...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo