“Not quite what it seemed”

Best Western Hotel Des Voyageurs
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Fougeres
London, United Kingdom
“Not quite what it seemed”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

I ended up booking this Hotel after I found the superb Hotel Balzac fully booked for a return cycle trip from La Rochelle back to Cherbourg. I was a little put out when the receptionist demanded credit card details when booking, the only hotel to do so for my trip. After booking, on the recommendation of the Hotel Balzac, I looked at the hotel’s internet site & was impressed. When I arrived I had a slight stand-off with the receptionist, who couldn’t seem the deal with my bike, however once she calmed down she was pleasant & helpful. Then I got into the lift & noted I’d seen similar in London’s local authority 60s housing estates. Once in the room I found the décor similar to lodging houses close to London’s big railway terminuses. I wouldn’t have minded had I not had the expectation of the swish images of their web-site. I must say though, everything was clean & efficient. I have one point on the downside, having been charged €8 for a breakfast I’m sorry I would have expected something rather better than machine coffee & processed packaged cheese, in country famed for its coffee & cheese. So if I stayed again, & I probably wouldn’t, I certainly go elsewhere for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank LEJOG2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chelmsford
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We booked via tourist office this 2 star hotel which was 69 euros room only plus 7 euros for parking in their garage. Room looked over back of hotel but this was good as traffic noise at front could be a problem.
Hotel description in tourist book was it had been updated and improved but this did not apply to our room, the hotel restaurant was not used by us but appeared to be very good but dear with breakfast 8 euros each for normal continental.
Close to town shops and other restaurants and of course the fantastic castle/chateau which is worth the trip alone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I have stayed at the hotel three or four times now and it suits my needs perfectly.

Each room I have had has been clean and bright with decent bathrooms. I usually travel by motorbike and the hotel has secure parking and are bike friendly which is always nice.

The breakfast is a bit basic but does the job, you can always pop over the road as the cafe will be open and offers plenty of choice.

Overall a great base for travelling around and the view over the castle and old town from certain rooms is great.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lardyboy
Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We drove into Fougeres hoping to find a place to stay since Alencon was not what we expected.

We looked at the Balzac first. A bit too old and sad decor.

We looked at a couple of rooms at the Voyageurs and chose the extra large room (307) with a double and a single bed for 57 Euros. It has been recently updated. New windows that are great to have open to see the town and hear the sounds from the street out in front of the hotel. When closed the windows are very effective in quieting things down.

The doors are rather thin and we could hear everyone coming and going and talking in the hallway.

Room and bathroom were clean. Separate W/\C which was handy.

Hairdryer but no coffee, no Air Conditioning, (we didn't need it since weather was cool), no kleenex, no bathroom amenities other than soap and shower gel. Weak shower.

Melanie, at the Reception, was very friendly, helpful and sweet.

Parking was on the street or in the public lot about a block behind the hotel.

The town is great. Beautiful views from the Church gardens and a nice assortment of shops, Patisseries, grocery store etc.

• Liked — Melanie at the Reception was very happy to help.
  • Disliked — The noise in the hallway, no coffee maker.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank touristfromTexas
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 3, 2004

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and three kids (two grown) in October of 2004. We rented two rooms.

The staff is friendly and helpful, and speaks reasonably good English. The location is great.

My wife lived in Fougeres for a while 26 years ago. She wanted to take us there and share one of her favorite towns in the world. We were not dissapointed.

The rooms were small, but eligantly decorated. It had a homey feel.

Breakfast was good. We didn't get to try the restaurant, because it was sold out the night we tried. The girl at the front desk recommended another restaurant in town called Osteria de' Golosi, which had some of the best food we ate on the entire trip. I had a steak cooked right in front of us in their fireplace. Delicious.

I have written more extensively about this 19 day trip and Fougeres on my personal website at: http://www.josephsheppard.net

4 Thank shepdec
san juan, puerto rico
Reviewed October 16, 2003

Stayed there on Sept. 28, 2003. Perfect place to stay at. Excellent location, very well kept rooms, very nice decoration, clean. The people at the hotel were very nice and helpful giving us hints for restaurants and brochures of the town. We highly recommend it.

3 Thank rosema07
Bristol, UK
Reviewed June 23, 2003

Brilliant hotel. Stayed at Room 201 for about a month. Each room is individually decorated in it's own style. The rooms have TPS (adult channel) and CNN and Canal+.

Breakfast is quite basic consisting of a crossant on your tea cup (you'll know what I mean when you see it) and a selection of bagettes, jam, juice and eggs.

The people are what make it the best in Fougeres, Syvie and Christophe are very friendly - try the home brew on the table in reception.

The best restaurant in Fougeres is very door, quite cheap for the amount of courses you get. £10 for 4 courses and an extra starter to get your taste buds working. The strawberry cake is the best!

To Note - They kindly let me display my paintings in the reception (picture of the burnt out theatre) and in the Breakfast Bar (Brigette Bardot in Fougeres). They are both for sale!

6 Thank Gilo31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fougeres
Balzac Hotel
Le Lion d'Or
#1 of 1 in Saint-Brice-en-Cogles
Best Western Le Moulin De Ducey
Ibis Vitre Centre Ville

Been to Best Western Hotel Des Voyageurs? Share your experiences!