All reviews le coquillage mont st michelin star oysters service was impeccable wonderful hotel beautiful location the cottages the cliff dessert trolley sitting outside sea view an easy drive excellent restaurant set menu stayed two nights wonderful view
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I recently enjoyed a very pleasant two night stay at the Chateau de Richeux, part of the Maisons de Bricourt in Cancale. I travelled with my wife, 9 year old son and my wife’s parents. My family occupied a one bedroom suite, and the in-laws stayed in a deluxe room.

The location of the Chateau de Richeux is exceptional. The beautifully landscaped grounds look out over the Bay of Mont St. Michel (with the Mont visible in clear weather in the far distance). At one end of the property are various farm animals (a least two donkeys and a pig), which my son had a blast feeding. The grounds alone would be enough to merit a stay.

But then there is the food. The bistro located at the Chateau, Le Coquillage, was absolutely fabulous. The freshness of the seafood and shellfish, combined with the views of the Bay, were memorable. The service was terrific.

We ate dinner one night during our stay at Le Relais Gourmand Olivier Roellinger – with its newly annointed third Michelin star. It may have been the only meal on our trip that exceeded the meal at Le Coquillage. The service was impeccable, and the food world class.

The cost of all this gourmet dining was not out of line with what would expect to pay in the US, and certainly far less than a comparable experience would cost in Paris.

Compared to the location, grounds and food, the rooms at the Chateau de Richeux, while very nice, don’t quite measure up to the rest. That is to say, if this hotel didn’t have a great restaurant and a great location, maybe the rooms wouldn’t be enough to merit a stay. But it does, and we were very comfortable in the rooms – especially with the windows open in the early morning watching the sun rise. They have dried fruits and other snacks in the rooms gratis (in case you don’t get enough to eat otherwise, I suppose).

In case the rest of the food wasn’t enough to tempt one, the breakfasts at the Chateau (continental), also featured baked goods from the restaurants and just enough extras to make them memorable as well.

So, this is a stay well worth making. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
13  Thank OrrvilleRedRider
Reviewed November 19, 2005

My wife-to-be and I stayed in the Richeux for a week in a rather cold July of 2003. We had a large room with a great view on the bay. Everything was just perfect: the elegant interior, the friendly and personal service, the pieceful setting, and the restaurant (an off-shoot of the famous and must-see Maison de Bricourt in the center of Cancale, where chef Olivier Roellinger served us an unforgettable, absolutely three-star lunch - book well in advance!). But the view from the bedroom (and the bathroom) topped it all. At this level of comfort, even without a pool or air conditioning, the hotel is moderately priced. One caveat: The beach is good for lang walks, not for swimming.

• Stayed: July 2003
11  Thank HubertusL4
Reviewed November 16, 2005

We stayed at the Chateaux Richeux for 3 nights in late October. During our 4 week trip to Western France we stayed at 7 Relais&Chateaux properties. All properties were outstanding but this was clearly the best of the best. We had a suite (Sesame) on the main floor which was just plain wonferful with a view of the Bay of St. Michel. We had a reservation for their 2 Star restaurant Maisons de Bricourt (in Cancale about 6 km by the hotels van) for our last night and deceided to try the Chateaux's seafood restaurant Le Coquillage. It was fantastic, their seafood assortments and other menu choices were amazing. After the great dinner the dessert cart blew us away. It had about 15 different treats and instead of choosing one we were asked which ones we wanted to try. Our dinner at Mausons de Bricourt, was as expected, one of the best meals we have ever experienced. Breakfast was also great. The hotel is about 45 minutes from Mont St. Michel which needs no further description. We did a day trip to Dinan which was charming. The 50 foot vertical tide changes are amazing to watch, and the grounds of the Chateaux are a delight to walk,

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank GlobeTrotting30900
Reviewed July 3, 2005

The only mistake I made in planning our two-week trip to France was the decision to spend only one night at Chateau Richeux near Cancale. We should have stayed here longer! My wife and I had a delightful ground-level suite with our own patio overlooking the gardens. The beach is a short walk away. We had dinner at Olivier Roellinger's two Michelin star restaurant in Cancale, and it was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. We appreciated the complementary shuttle service to the restaurant; we may never have found it on our own. We also really enjoyed having breakfast on our patio. The chateau is within easy driving distance of Mont St Michel, St Malo and the Brittany coastline, but it also is a great place to unwind and relax. The president of France used this chateau as his summer residence in the 1930s; he had excellent judgment! Next time (and there will be a next time) we will stay longer and take advantage of the sailboat ride in the bay!

• Stayed: June 2005
11  Thank StevenAllen
Reviewed June 30, 2005

My husband and I stayed for one night during the first week in June and we both agreed that it was the highlight of our 2 1/2 week trip in France. We stayed in the "Galanga" suite, which is on the second floor and had three large bay windows overlooking the bay and from which you could see Mont St. Michel in the far background. As you enjoy the views over a several hour period of time, the entire landscape changes as the tide rolls out uncovering shoals and small reefs. Honestly, we didn't want to leave the room because the views were so spectacular. I managed to drag myself away for a couple of hours to run along the beach to the small town of Cancale and I had a delightful time sightseeing along the way. The dinner was really wonderful and the views from the dining room were equally spectacular. Go early -- for us Americans, that would be 7:30 p.m. -- and you'll get the best seat in the house. The owner of the Chateau takes guests on a trip in the bay on his sailboat in the mornings (weather permitting) and although we had signed up for the trip, we cancelled because we honestly did not want to leave the room! Breakfast in bed and, once again, the gorgeous views. Although I've used Tripadvisor to search for hotels for several years, I've never included a review, but I just had to write this up. You won't regret a stay at this place.

• Stayed: June 2005