“Lovely accomodation, fantastic location”

Lagrange Prestige Les Hauts de la Houle
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We spent a lovely two weeks in Les Hauts de la Houle and could not fault it. The accommodation was well maintained and bright while the location could not be better (it is a short walk from the harbour/restaurant strip, up on a hill looking out to sea surrounded by fields/nature reserve). The check in and out was easy and pleasant.

All of the houses seem to have a patio area and quite a few look out to sea - the others are facing a small grass courtyard with some over looking the pool.

We did not use the pool or jacuzzi - it looked nice but is too small for any serious swimmer. Good for kids and sunbathers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Horseboxhero2010

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived after a 12 hour drive through northern France (each toll gate had a 10km queue each taking about 45 mins to get through and one toll charged a single euro for the pleasure!) We called ahead to say we would be late because of the traffic chaos and the lady at the other end was most insistent that we hand over our credit card details for the security deposit over the mobile phone whilst driving or she wouldn’t let us check in! She did helpfully promise to leave our room key in the security box by the reception, in an envelope with our family name on it.

We arrived, us and the two kids, bedraggled and knackered. My wife opened the security box to retrieve the aforementioned envelope but it had another family name on it. It was phonetically similar to ours so she assumed this was explained by a communication breakdown. It wasn’t. The reception door flew open and a very angry French lady flew out and accused my wife of taking an envelope that was not hers. My wife introduced herself and explained that she was only doing as instructed and objected at being ambushed like this. But following instructions wasn’t good enough, oh no, and the aggressive French lady, who it was now clear was running the place, said she had changed her mind and was prepared to check us in despite it being so late and her being so busy and wasn’t she so kind to do so.

Check in was a comedic farce. From the car I could see the French lady haranguing my wife, gesticulating and pointing, so I decided to enter reception to see what was going on. Apparently we didn’t have the correct paperwork with us. Neither had we confirmed whether or not we wanted the “comfort pack” (which it transpired was the surcharge for them to clean “parts of” your room). Also, we were then informed we had to take all the bedding and towels to the room and fit it ourselves! And this after a 12 hour drive with kids. She said she had considered breaking the rules and taking this down to the cottage but it was now too late for this.

She then snatched the “unacceptable” paperwork from my hand and refused to make and give me a copy. I hadn’t been treated like this since primary school. I pointed out that if she was now acknowledging it as official documentation then I was fully entitled to it since it was mine and not hers. She grudgingly took a copy and then proclaimed that it didn’t matter anyway, but we should have used a proper travel agent like Brittany ferries not a UK based travel agent who do everything all wrong. I gently responded by saying that this was a problem between her and her supplier and not me. She glared at me.

We were then told that we had to take a full tally of every item in the house by 11am then next morning and report back to reception with a completed report. Next came the discussion about the comfort back. What was this extra comfort we were being charged for? Drum roll….For the princely sum of 70 euro they will clean the place on the last day of your stay BUT will not clean the toilets, shower rooms, kitchen or fridge. We were gobsmacked. This was clearly not a luxury holiday unless you had an OCD cleaning habit.

Baffled and tired we just nodded and shuffled off to our gulag (sorry, cottage) to fit the sheets and turn in for the night.

On arrival we discovered, in the kitchen area, was a mysterious and tantalising brown bag claiming to contain cleaning products with a sticker on front stating that if it was opened then we would be charged 6 euro for using them! It reminded of my stay in Vegas where the mini bars are on magnetic strips so if you pick up a bottle you were charged straight away whether you consumed it or not. Yet more evidence of the obsessive compulsive cleaning disorder methinks.

Despite this the cottage, location and swimming pool were great. We had a fine fortnight. St Malo, Dinard and Cancale are lovely. All we saw of the crazy lady (this was what the kids now called her) was when she chided some parents off for letting their dog of the lead on common grass area and when she shouted at the kids for transgressing the rules (but hey that’s what holidays are for – shouting at the kids, so I mustn’t be too unkind).

To top this off, on the last day, as a treat, they inspect your cottage just as you leave. We had complied with all instructions and paid our 70 euro to have the room cleaned. The cleaner arrived parading up and down the property. We had cleaned the toilets, the showers were respectable. But, the cleaning lady pointed out that the waste bin wasn’t up to scratch and stood over my wife and demanded she clean the bin properly or they would take an unspecified sum from the security deposit! Next we were expected to carry all of the linen and towels back to the reception.

Oh, how we laughed. Through gritted teeth.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank SnotterBox
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for our first family holiday , our son is 3 months old, and it was perfect. On arrival reception could not have been more friendly and helpful, we had booked an apartment but got upgraded to a 3 bedroom house, which was lovely. Accommodation was clean and tidy with everything you could need! You have to complete an inventory on arrival which helps keep the high standards of accommodation and you have to clean up before you go but again I think this only helps keep the resort tidy! You are able to book a cleaner to clean your house before you go but in my opinion this is rather expensive when they supply you with a broom and a Hoover!

The pool area is lovely and was never busy when we went, however the pool was not heated enough to take the baby in and neither was the baby pool which was disappointing!

The accommodation is only a short walk into cancale which has lots of lovely restaurants to choose from.... The seafood is amazing!

I would definitely recommend this place,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Byrd81
Reviewed June 14, 2013

WE HAD A LOVELY WEEK AND WOULD RECOMMENED. After reading the previous review I was a little concerned. We stayed from 22 May to 1st June and found the accommodation reception and the site excellent. We had views of the sea from our 3 bedroomed house which was very clean and modern. The swimming pool was a reasonable size with a jacuzzi - lovely to relax in. We found reception friendly and helpful, on departure I was given suggestions of places to visit on the way to our hotel (where we stayed for our final night in France) We were all adults and I did feel there is not alot for children to do only the pool and an area of grass to play on, but it is only a short walk down the steep steps to the sea front or 15 minutes via the road, cancale is lovely with lots of choice of restaurants at sensible prices 13 euro for 3 courses.

For walkers the site is good lots of places to walk to with brilliant views.

Check in on the paperwork said 4pm we arrived just before 4pm and the reception was open. It is not possible to check in before this.
On arrival I would suggest you book your departure slot otherwise you may have to leave soon after 8am. Deptarture is from 8-10am but each slot is 10 minutes - my advise as I said is book early if you want to leave around 9.30-10am.

Room Tip: If there are 6 of you i would pay the extra for the 3 bedroomed house,2 bathrooms, plenty of space.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lizl2013
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have just returned from a week's holiday in Les Hauts de La Houle. I am amused by the previous reviewer's comments about "The Boss". As I had read previous reviews I was aware that The Boss could be a bit difficult. Sure enough on our arrival she was quite annoyed that there was some mix up with the Travel Agent and she had thought we were due the previous day. However once she realised her mistake she apologised and all was well. Might have helped also in view of previous reviews that we were Irish. As for the Holiday the accommodation is spotless - very well organised, clean and tidy. Cancale itself is such a lovely seaside town - will definitely come back here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank robja
Reviewed September 3, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!! Especially if you have children and are English or any other nationality apart from French.
We visited here in August 2012. We travelled as a group of 10 (5 adults and 5 children aged - 4, 7, 9, 13 and 15) and had two 3-bedroom cottages.
Out of all the places I have ever been too in my life, I've never met anyone like the woman who claims to be 'The Boss' of this place. If she'd been a bloke she would be missing several teeth by now!
Considering its supposed to be a family environment she makes it quite apparent that she cannot stand children or anyone English!
From the moment we arrived she got our backs up by telling the children to be quiet in the reception area. Sorry, but after travelling all night in a car they were a little bit excited at arriving for their holiday.
Another English couple had also arrived early and their two little girls were desperate for the toilet. They'd travelled all night aswell and it was now 11am. She would not let them use the toilet facilities as check in is not until 4pm ... unbelievable, whatever happend to customer service?!
At 8.50 pm we were then told that our children were making too much noise whilst playing on the field (which is massive), even though it states in their brochure that they can play outside until 10pm.
The children were also told whilst playing in the swimming pool that they were making too much noise and this was in the afternoon. We confronted her over this and all she kept saying was that our children are rude and that she was 'The Boss'. We then learned from another visitor that she accused his 14 year old daughter of ripping a poster on the wall of the Swimming pool showers. She hadn't, but this so called Boss told her that "she had photographic evidence of her doing it". Now I'm no policeman but something tells me that to have a camera in the showers taking pictures of children .... this woman has got issues and needs investigating!
She then proceeded to confiscate 3 different balls from 3 different famililies that were being used by kids in the pool area. They were told they could get them back at the end of the week. Yet when we witnessed a French family making far more noise than anyone and kicking a ball around the swimming pool ... nothing was said to them.
Then upon check out she told us that our chldren are uneducated and rude and criticised the way they dress!
The only thing missing from this place is a barbed wire fence and a couple of machine guns. She runs this place like a concentration camp from WW2. I thought Hitler was dead but noooo.. he's had a sex change and is running this place in Northern France.
Lagrange need to seriously examine the people they're putting in charge. If I could score it lower I would...STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank bmsianlake
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We rented a two room apartment as a middle aged couple. It is very nice, very clean and with lots of green spaces around it and a swimming pool, which is mostly for the children.
In the area it was nice and quiet enough for us and seemingly lively enough for the children families.
It is close to the city center and the harbour which is lined with seafood restaurants, all serving fresh oisters and other great dishes directly from the oister farms in the Cancale bay.
The most amazing thing is the tide, which changes every six hours, up to 13 meters in height and up to 20 km across the bay.
We could watch it from our 1st floor terrace and we never have seen anything like it.
There are nice walks, nice beaches, a free bus every half hour across the Cancale peninsula and a fantastic presentation at the nearby oister packaging plant.
We also used it as base for trips to Mont St. Michael and a river cruise from St. Malo to the medieval fortified town of Dinan.

Room Tip: For a Scandinavian the rooms are rather smallish so don't plan on being four persons i a 2 room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancale
Hotel Le Chatellier
#4 of 13 in Cancale
Le Village Cancalais
Le Village Cancalais
#1 of 11 in Cancale

Been to Lagrange Prestige Les Hauts de la Houle? Share your experiences!