“Good for a change”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lacanau-Ocean
Camping Airotel L'Ocean
Belfast
“Good for a change”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Our family stayed here the first week of a two week break in France. The location was quiet good close to the Beach and about 15 Minute walk from the main town. The site was well maintained but the only complaint would be that outside are mobile there was no paved area and that ment that the black sand kept being walked into the home. Pool area was clean and they did not inforce the stupid Speedo only rule for men that a lot of sites in France do!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank Laxpower01

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
london
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The other reviews are harsh, this is a lively site but friendly. Our kids 11 & 8 throughly enjoyed themselves meeting others and joining in with pan european football matches messing about in the play areas with kids form a number of european countries..learning to get out there and be part of it all. Yes the young adults were having a few early beers but I cant recall seeing any outrageous behaviour that made me think that my family were at risk or would be traumatised. Ok Matthews Caravans basic ...use them to sleep in and cook light meals..spend your quality time on the great beach ( v v g surf !) on your bike in the Pine Forests and in Lacanau especially if the Pro Surf comp is on. The cost of staying here isn't much and therefore if you're expecting Club Med cossetting dont go. The pool is really for the kids, although from time to time there are activites for Teenagers, its got a nice verandah where you can enjoy a drink whilst keeping an eye on them.
We are going back this year because the weather is good and we enjoyed the fact that its very much a get up and do things area. I cant comment on the washing toilet facilities for tent campers as I didn't use them. However I'm sure if there was a problem with them this should have been brought to the attention of the Staff who in my experience were attentive. One last point there is an on site noise / outside drinking curfew at about 11pm. This is enforced by staff patrols and in the main is well adhered to. Failure to comply reults in warnings and I understand ultimately ejection from the site! Tip Relax be a bit less Little Englander and make it a FAMILY Holiday.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank nicso
South West France
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We booked here at the last minute after our own caravan refused to move out of the driveway. After phoning 148 sites this was the only one with a mobile home available so it was here or no holiday.

If you are 18-23 and your ideal holiday involves sitting around outside your supermarket tent, barbecuing sausages and drinking cheap beer after a day's surfing then this site is for you. If not then there is absolutely no reason to go there, you will find many, many better family sites in the vicinity.

Unlike most who have reviewed here, our reception was friendly and efficient. The mobile home, one of the more expensive options, was new, spotlessly clean, well-equipped and everything worked. The hordes of young campers who had given us visions of noisy, sleepless nights seemed to automatically quiten down at 11.30pm and were no trouble at all.

However, I wouldn't want to camp with them, the constant music playing during the day would touch the grumpy, angry old man inside me, I wouldn't want to share the toilet facilities with them, they were noisy, dirty, over-used and worn out. I wouldn't want to share the pool with them, it was small, packed and stank of chlorine. I wouldn't want to share the bar with them, tables were uncleared, service almost non-existent and the food choices over-priced and miserable.

It's a shame because the site is in a great position, a short walk to the beach and the town and right next to the cycle paths. I might try it out of season for a weekend's surfing but I would definitely not spend my main holiday here again. I much prefer Le Tedey up the road by the lake.

• Liked — Close to the beach
  • Disliked — Serves the Chav market
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank TravelWarrior
bristol
Reviewed December 11, 2007

I booked a 4 star site and have been camping for 10 years in France. This campsite was disgusting. The toilets were outrageous and the staff unhelpful. It was common for excrement to be all over the toilets and floors. Several mornings there were no toilets available because they had been locked by prangsters from inside. The showers were no better. The water dribbled out of them and the queues were awful. They now have signs up that they are going to replace the toilets - but it was a complete rip off this year and they should be sued. I doubt new toilets will improve this horrid site. I was put on a ghastly pitch that was so far from the electric and they couldn't let me hire or borrow an extension. I had telephoned them from UK on 3 occasions (I speak French) and explained I was travelling and camping alone with my daughter., What a foul experience. The place is 'chav' land for the French. The pool area was absolutely flithy and they made no welcome to anyone who wasn't French.,

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank sian25
somerset
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Be prepared at high season to stay in a very big lively campsite with plenty of young surf blood to keep you up at night.

The swimming pool complex is not as big as you think and can become very very busy during mid-august.

No decking or pagoda with any Matthews Caravans - so the sand was everywhere and you risked getting knocked out by the cones that fall down after a night of heavy rain!! Matthews Caravans were the most basic on site as the majority of the other (Ohara) come with decking and sun protected canopys.

The surrounding areas are good and I would especially reccomend the lake at Montchic if you have a young family like us.
Lake provides a lifeguarded area with very very shallow safe waters for the kids to play in.

I would stay in the region again with my family but not on this site and not in a very basic Matthews caravan.

3 Thank Windy06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lacanau-Ocean
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Lacanau
L'Oyat
L'Oyat
#3 of 4 in Lacanau-Ocean
Pierre & Vacances Residence Bleu Marine

Been to Camping Airotel L'Ocean? Share your experiences!