“Disappointing last night on holiday.”
Review of Chez l'Australien - CLOSED

Chez l'Australien
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing last night on holiday.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Awful service, terrible food. Waited 15 minutes before we could give our drinks order. Waitress couldn't care less. The moules/frites were poor; tiny, chewy mussels. My king prawn curry was not a curry, more a warm marie-rose sauce with a few prawns and some unidentifiable strips of other seafood, served with plain tagliatelle, which wasn't as described on the menu. To top it off, there was a big black hair in the food. My husband had mahi-mahi, which was so refrigerated the whole thing was ice-cold. To be fair, we didn't get charged for the prawn curry, but it put me off from eating anything else there, so I left hungry. Would definitely not recommend this place and it was a shame that it was our final night on holiday.

• Visited August 2013

Canadian in the UK
“One of the nicer restaurants on the main drag”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The food is fine, the cocktails are good. They make some nice salads. Yes, it's touristy, but what do you expect in Lacanau-Ocean?

• Visited August 2013
Western Australia
“Did I really eat here?”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Lacanau is very Australianised. This place says it all. To be frank, there wasn't much open for lunch so I ventured in and had the spag bol. Why did I do that? I don't know.

Visited October 2012
Liverpool
“Such a disappointing anniversary meal”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Whilst holidaying in Lacanau Ocean, my husband and 4 year old decided to venture into the resort centre. We chose Chez l'Australien for our lunch due to an extensive menu and the fact that it was quite busy (which we think is generally a good sign). We greeted the waitress in French to which she replied in English and gave us a menu that had English translations which was a bonus. We ordered Moules mariniers, beef burger and fries for my son, along with a glass of White wine, coca cola and bottle of water. The food was ok quite tasty and the bill came to around €40.
Four days later we ventured back into the resort centre for an evening meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We walked around for 20 minutes but unsure where to eat we opted for Chez l'Australien. Different staff were on which proved to make our experience very different. A waiter directed us to a table, as we sat down a waitress told us not to sit there and moved us to another table, then the waiter came back and said it was reserved and moved us back to the original table all very embarrassing. After having the menu for quite some time another waitress came to take our order and seemed to be very unfriendly. As it was our anniversary I decided to order the steak, my husband a mixed grill/tex mex type meal and our son chicken nuggets. The girl seemed perplexed when I ordered water for my son as she said the children's menu included drinks (all of which he doesn't drink). My husband had a pint of fosters and myself a small bottle of wine. After waiting what seemed like ages (probably 30 minutes) our food arrived.
I'd asked for my steak medium and it was practically still mooing!!! My husbands had clearly been cooked earlier and was microwaved to death. "One of the worst meals I've ever had" his words. I got hand cut whereas he got (frozen, oven cooked) fries. My sons chicken nuggets and chips were practically cremated, hence he never ate any of the nuggets just the fries.
I noticed another couple on a nearby table who came in a couple of minutes after us ordered the same meals as my husband and I and waited about 45minutes.Whilst we were eating one of the waitresses walked towards our table and said something loud in French, we looked at her somewhat bemused and she then replied "oh you're English" laughed and walked away. How rude! We left quite a lot of our food and decided to ask for the bill (very politely in French). The bill was €64 what a disgrace!!! We left without leaving a tip (which we always tend to do) and went back to our holiday home.
Overall very disappointing we'd have been better off staying in!

• Visited August 2012
portsmouth
“Great PIzza”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Yes you can eat the australian breakfast if you wish, but this day we had pizza, it was bigger than the plate! Although they could have made life a wee bit easier by cutting it with a pizza slicer before serving it to us. Cutting a whole pizza up with a knife and fork is abit tough, but the pizza was scrummy so didnt mind!

Visited June 2012