“Charming hotel, good price, quiet, perfect location”

Hotel des Recollets
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Sarlat-la-Caneda
Vancouver, Canada
“Charming hotel, good price, quiet, perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

We chose Hotel des Recollets despite the few negative reviews on this site (and because of the positive ones) because it sounded like a perfect hotel for our purposes. We stayed there 7 days (Sept. 27-Oct. 3, '07) and used the charming town of Sarlat-la-Caneda as our home base, making day trips around this fascinating region. Looking back now on the six previous reviews, it's difficult to imagine what experience produced those negative reviews (unfriendly, arrogant, stand-offish, stale croissants, bad coffee, breakfast not worth 6.5 euros, etc.). The staff were always friendly and helpful, and Emilie in particular is charming and speaks excellent English. Although the owners were not exactly effusive, they were certainly polite, never arrogant. The only slightly aloof creature there was the resident cat. The breakfast was more than adequate: croissants were fresh, coffee delicious and ample, also there was juice, yogurt and prunes. It's about 350 steps downhill from the free (a big bonus) parking to the hotel and you have to cross a busy two-lane street. We were in room 319, which was fairly large and quite bright with a king-size bed and a roomy and well-appointed bathroom. No hairdryer but you can borrow one from reception. We plan to go back to Sarlat and will stay at the Hotel des Recollets again. It was our favorite hotel of the five we stayed in during our two-week stay and the others were all three-stars.

• Liked — quiet, convenient location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Patita43

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

The photos on the hotel's website made the rooms look somewhat cramped and dark, and before we arrived in Sarlat, I wondered whether I should have reserved elsewhere. I needn't have been worried.

The room itself (admittedly one of the more expensive ones) was light and airy, with two windows, one overlooking the cobblestone street below and the other looking into the pretty courtyard of the hotel, and an additional window in the bathroom. The bathroom itself had neat white tiling and was thoroughly modern, with a proper shower and several shelves for our toiletries -- in fact, some of the best arrangements we've seen in a bathroom of this size. Overall the owners had done a good job of retaining some of the older, charming features of the hotel, like the wooden beams and convent windows, while making it comfortable and convenient for guests (and with WIFI access for a reasonable 6.50 euros per day). And while, after having read the reviews here, I was a bit wary of the owners at first, we found them quite warm and helpful throughout our stay. Not everything was perfect -- the WIFI was a bit spotty at times, the bed somewhat uneven -- but for the price and location, on a quiet pedestrian street right in the medieval city -- I'd stay here again!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank buttery
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2007

The Recollets is one of a very small remaining number of French hotels which appear to find guests a nuisance. We have travelled to France annually for nearly 30 years and this attitude, usually reserved for "foreigners", has almost dissappeared over that period. The Recollets has only been around for 5 or 6 years and it will probably not last much longer unless they adopt a different attitude towards English speaking guests.
I have still rated it "average" overall because in all other respects it is very good.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff (owners) attitude to foreigners
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BILLandLILLY
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

This is not a Bed & Breakfast and on their website they have the prices for each room, just for the room. I specifically asked on email for a room without breakfast but they quoted me with a price that included breakfast. We were desperate to get a room so we booked it. When I got there I asked if we could just get a room and not the breakfast, the guy said that it was already agreed on. The breakfast was not worth the extra 6.5euros as it was tasteless and the coffee was horrible (and france has damn good coffee). The room was extremely small that it barely fit our 1 luggage. The staff did not seem friendly and approachable. They even charge you for WiFi. The only good thing was they have a free parking across the street.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank brownie1130

Travelers are raving about these Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2006

I got the name from Let's Go-France and was extremely pleased. My room was fine in this medieval building, hidden away up a small hill (and easy walking to everything). I paid only 42 euros (June, '04), in this rather touristy city with expensive hotels.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and, compared to many other 2 star hotels I've been to in France (I travel 2 weeks every summer in France), I though this one rated 3 stars. I almost never take breakfast in French hotels, so I cannot comment.

I love medieval cities, and Sarlat is beautiful and historic, but quite touristy compared to others. Kind of like a medieval gourmet shopping center (you should love canard to appreciate the place). The food is outstanding.

This hotel is an excellent deal in my opinion.

• Liked — Low price for excellent room
  • Disliked — It's up a hill, but that makes it quiet
  • Tips/Secrets — Go out for breakfast in France, enjoy the cafes
  • Stayed July 2007
5 Thank Mike-Wiesner
minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

I don't recommend that hotel! The owner was extremely unhelpful and arrogant. He totally ignored me when I arrived at the front desk in his very small lobby, leaving me standing for a while. Later, he refused to answer questions about sightseeing in the town. Also, this was the only hotel in my six-week stay in France that served dry, hard, day-old croissants for breakfast (unheard of in France)! When other guests complained, his response was, "Then what do I do with them (old croissants)?" Also, the room was very small. This was definitely the worst hotel experience I had in France during my six-week stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — owner, breakfast, size of rooms & bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank tallister
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2006

This hotel isn't listed in the Trip Advisor hotel section but is a viable option in a terrific locale. Although some of the staff are somewhat stand-offish, this old place is clean, not too cramped, comfortable, good in-room bathrooms, can handle as many as 4 people in a room and includes breakfast. It is down in a well-lit walking area (not curbside) so you have to park up the hill (free hotel parking) and carry-in your baggage (1 block +/-) and their is no elevator but it's worth it because the location emmerses you in the ambiance of this wonderful town. A word on Sarlat -- I saw no place in France, Spain or Italy that takes more pride in their town than Sarlat. They don't just powerwash the streets (as in most of France) but they do the buildings as well, to expose the unusually nice looking "orange-ish" stone that the whole town is made with. The roof's are all made of stone and take on free-form artistic curves. There are many nice shops, restaurants and open-air markets. This medeivel town (and the surrounding area) is well worth a visit of 2 or 3 days or more (a lot to see). I went there in November "05 and noted lots of young people having a great time even in the off season -- not sure that this place might get too crowded in August or ?? (research needed). Suspect this town is a well-kept secret of the French. Delightful place.

16 Thank DMcD