“Warning”

Cour des Poetes
Ranked #123 of 168 Restaurants in Sarlat-la-Caneda
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Milan, Italy
“Warning”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

It may have been a coincidence but I had violent food poisoning the day after eating here. I had the aiguillettes de canard, they were quite rare. I started to feel ill in the morning then vomited all day. I'm giving them an average score to give them the benefit of the doubt. Service was indifferent and quite slow, food was average/OK; not worth a detour.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank A_Brit_and_Italian

London
“Awful service and attitude”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had the unfortunate experience of eating here whilst on holiday in Sarlat. We didn't fancy foie gras or duck which nearly all the local restaurants are serving up so we were thought the menu here offered us some different alternatives, especially for myself whilst I'm not vegetarian I'm not a huge meat eater I was pleasantly surprised to see some vegetarian options other than mushroom ommlette and chips.

We were shown upstairs to an air conditioned eating area and first impressions were good. It went dramatically downhill from here. We were given menus and then we were left alone for probably about 20 minutes without any offer of taking our drinks order. We should have complained but we were celebrating a birthday and we didn't want to cause an atmosphere.

When the waiter finally remembered we were there he came and took our drinks order and food order, we ordered entrées and mains and some had the set menu so had desserts included. The drinks arrived about 10 minutes later.

We were then left to wait, and wait, and wait. Individuals who'd come into the restaurant after us and were seated downstairs we noticed had received and eaten their starters. We figured that because there were 5 of us we'd have to wait a bit longer. The people downstairs then received their main courses. In this time, the waiter was nowhere to be seen. Other staff came up to attend to two other large parties but disappeared before we could ask what was going on.

Our waiter reappeared and came over to our table an hour (yes, an hour!) after we had ordered to ask if we'd had our starters. Unbelievable! He was the only one serving us so he should have known, you'd think and our cutlery hadn't been touched and drinks drunk! No, we told him and off he scuttled. We remained polite but all of us were hungry and a bit fed up by this point.

Our waiter returned and informed us that the kitchen had lost our order so we had to re-order. If we hadn't been so hungry and knew a decent takeaway close by we would have walked out but we were starving and had no option but to re-order whilst emphasising our unhappiness. Unbelievably he wasn't that apologetic. You'd think the first thing the manager would do is come over and express their apologies on behalf of the restaurant. Nope. Not here. We asked if a basket of bread could be brought over to tide us over, seeing as we hadn't eaten anything since we had arrived. We asked this in French and the waiter acknowledged that yes, he would bring bread. It ddidn't arrive.

To the credit of the kitchen, starters arrived about 10 minutes later. With a basket of bread. Two starters were missing though. The two ordered from the a la carte menu (the other three had a awt menu each). The waiter asked us whether we wanted these at the same time when he saw two of us looking confused and hungry. Yes we told him, now please, whilst the rest of the table were eating their starters. Maybe we are missing a cultural difference in food course order, who knows, but we were starving. Luckily the two starters were garlic mushrooms so not much preparation required and they arrived a few minutes later.

It took a while (again!) for the waiter to return so we had another fairly long wait for him to notice our starters had been eaten. Main courses arrived about 20 minutes later so not a massive wait in comparison. The party commented that dishes were quite nice, my salmon was nice. I did however ask to have a side order of chips extra as my fish came with rice. I'd repeated this twice due to our order being lost and both times I'd emphasised 'in addition to' in French and English. When my dish arrived I got chips instead of rice. I'd lost the will to complain by this point I'm afraid.

Next was dessert. Three of the party had set menu desserts - one of the party had a cheese course and a sweet dessert included. It wasn't until we had finished desserts that this had been remembered - on the bill the restaurant replaced this with an extra order of an espresso coffee another member of the party ordered - hardly the same value I would argue, but at least they didn't charge us for that too.

When we went downstairs to pay (you have to pay at the till downstairs) we waited and waited whilst the member of staff faffed about with something ignoring us. We had to ask whether we could be served - no apologies were offered again. We tried to explain how unhappy we were in French and English, even pointing out that a discount would be appropriate and the staff didn't want to know.

In summary, food was OK but service and attitude was dire. If I lived local I would not return and I think they rely on that.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bexyuk
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great location, great service and food”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is tucked away in a small place in the old part of Sarlat. The staff were all very friendly, the food was good and reasonably priced. We had a week in Sarlat and ate in lots of restaurants, including the very pricy (and overrated) Le Presidial. This was our favourite.

• Visited August 2013
Pouance, France
“Excellent ambience”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

One of the many restaurants tucked away in odd corners of lovey Sarlat.
The food was good - we had a selection of the Prix fixée at 15 & 19 Euros + a Pave de Saumon @ 14.50. A carafe of local Bergerac rouge was 8.50.
Nice meal, good cheerful, friendly staff giving prompt service.
Soft background Peruvian music.made it a pleasurable eatery.

• Visited May 2013
Hopkinsville
“Steak done right”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a very nice experience in this small and full of ambiance restaurant . With help from a French speaking tourist from England we ordered a lovely steak dinner with potatoes and a salad. The wait staff was very friendly and was happy to work with, understanding our very limited French. The steak was cooked just right. ( In France rare is the rule unless you explain differently). Our bill with wine was 46 euro, for 2 people.. Very good. LOVED SARLAT!!!

• Visited June 2013