“Average”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2013

It was a typical tourist location. Not bad food, but not an inspiring evening. The wine selection was good though.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Granted there are not many restaurants open in Sarlat pre-Easter, so the selection of eateries is not huge. Our second night there we decided to try La Rapiere as it was close to our B & B, La Lanterne. I had read the reviews on trip advisor, so I was a little nervous. Many people complained about the service. Our service both nights was excellent! The young woman who waited on us did an excellent job of keeping our order moving and being helpful and friendly. And the food was absolutely wonderful. I tried the 3 duck salad and a goose Parmentier that was fabulous. It was the first of many dishes "Parmentier" that I've ordered in France and it was the best, by far. My husband had smoked salmon for an appetizer and a cassoulet, both of which were very well prepared. We liked the restaurant so much that we went back the next night and were not disappointed. We both had an outstanding foie gras first course and a trout and duck dish for our main courses. In addition, the desserts were also excellent. I am surprised that this restaurant isn't rated more highly, as we thought it was excellent.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Being your typical nervous and polite tourist we accepted the 30 min wait at our table without menu's with a smile hoping for better times ahead... our starters of fois gras and a salad of duck and fois gras were exceptionally good and good value. Alas the mains were poor. My wife ordered the goose mash pie (from an elderly battletank of a lady) but received a plate of salmon instead... we politely informed our waitress but she thought it best to ask every diner in the restaurant if that's what we ordered- in French, knowing ours was limited. Then she tried to sell the salmon by saying it's delicious... Fair play but the embarresment put us off the meal. The cassolett was too salty but the creme brule's were delicious. I must add that we had another young waitress try assist us who was very friendly. Avoid. I accept being a tourist in France is a dining hazard but many places offer great food and friendly service, alas, not here for us.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visiting Sarlat, we've been my wife and I at la Rapiere on a Saturday lunch on market day. I was really dying for a perfect foie gras before returning to England and one shop keeper told me there I will find the best in town. Well, he was right! The foie was perfectly cooked with just what it needs of grease, an was served with caramelised apples and a homemade onion compote. Service was smooth and friendly. I really recommend this restaurant if you like local specialities of Perigord.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place was really a spur-of-the-moment treat. The staff were nice enough to allow us to take the lunch menu (even though we entered about 10 minutes after the sign said it was over!) and the food was really great. My girlfriend had roasted duck and I had salmon in a creamy sauce that was delicious. At around €14 for the fixed lunch menu, the value was great. Great food at a great price!