“short break”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Au Fil de l'Eau

Au Fil de l'Eau
Ranked #21 of 36 Restaurants in Brantome
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“short break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The food was ok but one male waiter was not good.
Good position by the river but lacking atmosphere ,they could improve things. Will not return in the future unless it improves

Visited July 2014

west midlands
“Went twice in one week.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

There is no doubt that the setting of this place alongside the river is magical. There is actually more seating outside than in.
It is primarily a fish establishment and after eating one night at the beginning of our holiday we returned later in the week.
There are a number of Prix fixe menus with lots of options. We chose from the 25€ menu (3courses) but you can have less.
The starters of whitebait were very good. A big portion & nicely crispy.
The pike perch with creamed leeks (€18) was delicious but I would have liked some potatoes with it. The sea trout was also very good & came with a sort of ratatouille type mix of veg. The chocolate tart certainly hit the spot.
On our next visit we tried the special of 'matelot fil de l'eau'-a sort of fish stew with veg. Very tasty.
I am surprised by the number of less than favourable reviews of this place. We had great meals. I do agree with one reviewer that the half bottle of rose was a bit pricey at €12.50
Service was brisk & we would happily dine here again.

Visited June 2014
ca
“Lovely service, nice food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The food won't knock your socks off, but it was tasty and well presented. The staff was friendly and helpful. Location is the star

Visited June 2014
Suffolk
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We tried this restaurant for the first time, lovely location, but we had to eat inside as rain threatened. We both had the smoked salmon for a starter which was excellent, almost main course size! Then the duck in honey sauce which was lovely and tender, but vegetables were served and the potatoes had been warmed up and pressed together in a mould. My husband had the Tiramasu which he enjoyed but I had the profiteroles which were terrible, but OK if you play cricket !!!! They were so hard they were inedible, we mentioned this to the waitress but she just shrugged her shoulders and laughed. The whole meal cost 89 euro including a bottle of Berjerac, which we thought was a very overpriced. We will not be going back

• Visited May 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Poor quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

When walking around this beautiful town we weighed up a number of restaurants for lunch an eventually settled for the Au Fil de l'Eau largely because of its wonderful out door terrace by the river.

It was quite early on and we did get our order taken promptly and were then served with an amuse-bouche. Warning signs were already there with the bread looking distinctly supermarket quality.

We ordered 50 cl of rose at a price of a whopping 15 E. When it came to the table it was clearly a half bottle - which was fine but it was, of course, 37.5 cl and not 50 cl as stated on the menu. Our waitress displayed a hefty amount of attitude and refused to acknowledge that there was a difference. Now it may have been my poor French but a difference of 12.5 cl is pretty much the same in French as it is in English and perhaps even Swahili. A half bottle is 12.5 E so it was no big deal but when faced with attitude at the beginning of a meal we should have left there and then.

I had terrine to start with which was fairly unexciting and again served with lots of attitude. For the main course I had Cod Provencale. It was a poorly seasoned slice of cod on a sort of ratatouille base. To be fair it had been descaled at least but I suspect it had been a while since this cod saw the sea. It wasn't quite off but the bland taste had an unpleasant edge to it. My wife had the confit duck which was at least tasty.

For desert I had the goats cheese with walnut salad. The lettuce was fine, the walnuts were ok and even the lump of cheese was reasonable. I was given a dessert spoon to eat it with and by that time I had given up caring. I showed them - you can eat a big lump of soft cheese with a spoon - no trouble at all.

The rest of the staff came across as being friendly and attentive. I suspect that the surly one was the boss' daughter who had been made to work her day off school. In the end we were only charged for a half bottle which, if explained at the beginning would have taken the heat out of things.

The bill was 64.5 E which I think represented poor value. We passed a number of restaurants offering a lunch menu for 14 E. With a pichet of local wine out bill would probably not have exceeded 40 E. Most places in Brantome have an atmospheric setting anyway.

This may have been a start of the season bad day for them. Hopefully they can improve because it is a lovely setting.

• Visited May 2014