“Wonderful Food, Atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 40 Restaurants in Riquewihr
Cuisines: European, French, Japanese, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant Trotthus in Riquewihr can accommodate 40 guests and immediately wins by its warmth and its Alsatian atmosphere. The thick and old west wall is simply the wall of the rampart built during the year 1291! The setting is ancient: large exposed beams, some of which date back to the early sixteenth century, a collection of antiques collected by the owner of the house and linked to winemaking, an imposing and ancient wine press on which you can dine or drink a glass. The Chef, Philippe Aubron, having knocked nearly 20 years around the world - from Japan to Australia and to the Caribbean - decided to drop his pots in Riquewihr. His Gourmet cuisine, inventive and refined, makes extensive use of the produce of Alsace and will satisfy the most demanding palates.
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stumbled upon Au Trotthus as we were exploring a cobblestone side street in Riquewihr. The exterior, like most of the town, exuded medieval charm, and the menu that was posted outside was pure Alsatian so we decided to give it a try. What we found inside didn't disappoint. The downstairs dining area is decorated in a half-timbered, ancient winery motif and charming. Those tables were taken so we were seated upstairs, not as quaint but still comfortable, with half-timbered beams. The service was professional and our mustachioed waiter friendly and charming. From what I've seen in other reviews the menu changes frequently but on that night our orders resulted in probably the best meal we had in France. My husband had braised beef cheeks with pinot noir. He cleaned his plate. I had duck foie gras with a chutney side. I cleaned my plate. Our friend had fillet of sole quenelle, a sausage style fish presentation. His entrée was also perfection. The wine menu was also exceptional and reasonably priced. We also got a kick out of the chef who came upstairs to welcome diners and inquire about our dining experience. His was a big personality--very French and very entertaining. All in all, this was an exceptional restaurant that we all thought represented Alsatian cuisine at its best.

1  Thank Brickstreet

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Understanding the previous posts, this meal and occasion was one of the best we had during our week on the 'wine route'...Chef Phillip was a gem, as was his superlative wait staff who suggested excellent wine pairings and accompaniments. Really a fascinating mix of French cuisine w/ Japanese accents...efforts and follow through were truly excellent. The vibe was friendly and easy going, we got a few Maison and rest. recommendations from the staff to send us along our trails...

All in all, a wonderful dinner...

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked a table at the Trotthus after having read some positive postings left on tripadvisor.
We were on a celebrating family week-end and took our children along (4-5 & 6 years old) to the restaurant. When arriving I thought we had chosen a nice trendy place and would really enjoy our evening. It was hell!

We did not get the reception we expected as clients, the owner was obnoxtious and extremely unfriendly. Our kids were hardly allowed to move and we were spoken to like beasts. I have done the hotel school and this is definitely not the étiquette we were taught! I definitely not recommend this place.

9  Thank Emilie1974
WineLoverRiquewihr, Owner at Au Trotthus, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Chef Philippe Aubron and his team are managing successfully the restaurant Au Trotthus for now over a year. As one of the owners I am not involved in the daily management of the restaurant but I fully support the idea that children are welcome at our restaurant Au Trotthus under the full the responsibility of the accompanying adults.

It is easy to understand that it belongs to everyone not to disturb others. Sometimes, some parents do not see the real impact of their children's behavior on others. We know that children are to their parents what is most important in the world. We also understand that any discussion about their children disturbing others - even discreet and measured - is often perceived very negatively and as a rude attitude.

However, everyone understands that for the chief and his staff, the true professionalism - sorry if we must get to this extend - is to protect other guests so that the pleasure of everybody is not spoiled by the lack of etiquette of a small number.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is my second review of this restaurant as the first one was removed due to, apparently, not being substantive enough. So here I would like to describe our experience in more details. I came to the restaurant one evening with my family as we were visiting Alsace on holidays. We were all in very good moods and ready to have a nice evening together. Upon our arrival we were already quickly informed in a rude manner that our children were not allowed to draw on their own paper at the table as the table cloth was made of ostrich leather and if they destroy it, we would have to pay for it. Ok we said and asked politely whether they can watch an ipad. There was a sofa near the table so we thought it would be a good idea for them to sit on it while waiting for food. I wanted to place an ipad on the coffee table in front of the sofa. On that table were candles which I placed somewhere else for safety reason. I was immediately told that this is not my home but a restaurant and I was not allowed to move anything as it was for other customers to enjoy. Funny that, as we were upstairs and as we were a rather big party, there were no other customers around. By that time other members of my family were also treated in a very unwelcome manner and we all decided to go to another restaurant.

I hope this review offers enough information as to not being removed as I find it deeply suspicious that my first negative account of the experience simply disappeared!

9  Thank Agnieszka_L0nd0n

However, we believe that for the chief and his staff, the true professionalism - sorry if we must get to this extend - is to protect other guests so that the pleasure of everybody is not spoiled by the lack of etiquette of a small number.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We booked a reservation at Au Trotthus because of the excellent Trip Advisor reviews and it did not disappoint. We had the fixed menu with accompanying wine with each course and everything was incredible. The service was very friendly and attentive. It was a bit rushed, as they would bring the wine for the next course before we had finished the previous glass - and the courses followed each other without much pause between - but we took our time anyway and enjoyed it very much. They didn't seem to be trying to get rid of us, so it was all very pleasant. I didn't know prawns could melt in your mouth like that! Excellent risotto, veal, sashimi, hot fudge, cinnamon ice cream...you cannot go wrong here!

1  Thank ASingleStep