“Tasty Supper!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were tired and wet, after the long walks in this "Medieval" town-Riquewihr, in Alsace, Fr.,
this small restaurant was just a welcoming sight. We managed to order and the French waitress
was just very nice,spoke enough English to help us, the menu was not extensive, but the food and wine was simply excellent and tasty! The ambience was so nice, and we enjoyed our wine, at dinner, the wine was of the local variety, excellent! The place looks like the restaurants in the movies! We even ordered an Ice cream dish for dessert, of course lavishly presented! The restaurant seem to be located out of the main street, "far from the beaten path"! We would like to come back to this town in our next trip!

There are newer reviews for La Grenouille

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ate there with 8 adults and 4 kids and we had a fantastic time. The people are super friendly and make your stay a very pleasant experience. Decoration of the place is in my tast a bit taky but food is good. They have a large variety of choices and are extremely flexible for the children. Prices too are not over the top which is pleasant. All in all, a very nice, relaxing and plesant experience. I definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We sat outside on a beautiful day and enjoyed the music and local flavor of the adorable town. We were very pleased with the food. We each had an appetizer and main course. The wine was exceptional as well. The staff, while not overly friendly, were very accommodating to our food requests for our 10 month old (steamed veggies) and didnt charge extra for them. The decor inside is very interesting, if not weird- every single thing is a frog. Way overboard on the frog theme. The location was perfect, the prices were a bit high, though comparable to other restaurants.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

An okay restaurant. Our favorite place was closed for winter so we had to find an alternate and didn't want/need a huge meal as we'd eaten a large late lunch earlier. La Grenouille was right next to our hotel (we'd never really noticed the restaurant before) so we opted to give it a go. Obviously, la grenouille means the frogs as their is frog deco literally everywhere in the restaurant. My wife chose the baked spaetzle and I had the munster tartiflette. Both were good but I think the spaetzle was a little better. Both meals were overcooked and burned on the tops a bit. However, we like that as there really in nothing better than tasty, crispy lightly burned cheese on top! The spaetzle and cheese sauce was very tasty. My munster tartiflette was a bit bland, didn't taste too much of the local munster, and was a bit runny. It was good but I've had better elsewhere in Riquewihr. I thought the prices, especially for Riquewihr, were very reasonable (we paid around € 12-13 per dish). Our favorite restaurant has comparable prices but better food. We've eaten at other restaurants in Riquewihr with costs upwards of € 50 per person (sure, gourmand food) so I'm not quite understanding some previous posters who think the restaurant is expensive.

Maybe I'd go back ... but not if our favorite place is open.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our family of five had a very mixed experience here. I've given the restaurant a rating of 4, which reflects the average of how we would rate it.

Service was good, and I definitely felt like the restaurant was a good value. It's not cheap, but nothing in Riquewihr is. Although I will say that prices on the dessert menu were definitely reasonable. Just a shame that there wasn't anything really good on it.

We like restaurants that offer something more than just chicken nuggets and steak haché for kids. And in fact, their kids meals are quite good. My daughter's meal was much better than mine. She had tender pieces of chicken and delicous mushrooms (which she stopped letting me eat when she discovered how good they were) in a riesling sauce served in a puff pastry bowl with yummy noodles. My son and husband both had the sauerkraut and meat. My son loved it because it was mild, my husband didn't like it because it was too mild. (I was appreciative that it didn't smell up the whole table!) My daughter's tarte flambee with goat's cheese was really yummy and filling. My chicken in riesling sauce was a bit dry, and the spaetzle was very unevenly cooked. Some pieces were dark brown, others were pale and undercooked. The sauce was good, and it had the potential to be good, but just wasn't. The onion tourte my husband had as an appetizer was quite excellent, though.

The kids meals came with a scoop of ice cream served with Smarties and whipped cream. They were thrilled. The house tarte was a blueberry tarte, which was surprising since blueberries aren't in season. Thus, it wasn't surprising that it was only so-so. My daughter and I had ice cream, which was generously scooped, but nothing special.

I would recommend this place to anyone with kids, or who doesn't want to pay a small fortune for one of the better restaurants in town.