“Not great but not bad”
Review of La Grenouille

La Grenouille
Ranked #8 of 40 Restaurants in Riquewihr
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Not great but not bad”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

An okay restaurant. Our favorite place was closed for winter so we had to find an alternate and didn't want/need a huge meal as we'd eaten a large late lunch earlier. La Grenouille was right next to our hotel (we'd never really noticed the restaurant before) so we opted to give it a go. Obviously, la grenouille means the frogs as their is frog deco literally everywhere in the restaurant. My wife chose the baked spaetzle and I had the munster tartiflette. Both were good but I think the spaetzle was a little better. Both meals were overcooked and burned on the tops a bit. However, we like that as there really in nothing better than tasty, crispy lightly burned cheese on top! The spaetzle and cheese sauce was very tasty. My munster tartiflette was a bit bland, didn't taste too much of the local munster, and was a bit runny. It was good but I've had better elsewhere in Riquewihr. I thought the prices, especially for Riquewihr, were very reasonable (we paid around € 12-13 per dish). Our favorite restaurant has comparable prices but better food. We've eaten at other restaurants in Riquewihr with costs upwards of € 50 per person (sure, gourmand food) so I'm not quite understanding some previous posters who think the restaurant is expensive.

Maybe I'd go back ... but not if our favorite place is open.

• Visited January 2013

• Czech first
  • Greek first
Ohio
“Decent value, but could be better”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our family of five had a very mixed experience here. I've given the restaurant a rating of 4, which reflects the average of how we would rate it.

Service was good, and I definitely felt like the restaurant was a good value. It's not cheap, but nothing in Riquewihr is. Although I will say that prices on the dessert menu were definitely reasonable. Just a shame that there wasn't anything really good on it.

We like restaurants that offer something more than just chicken nuggets and steak haché for kids. And in fact, their kids meals are quite good. My daughter's meal was much better than mine. She had tender pieces of chicken and delicous mushrooms (which she stopped letting me eat when she discovered how good they were) in a riesling sauce served in a puff pastry bowl with yummy noodles. My son and husband both had the sauerkraut and meat. My son loved it because it was mild, my husband didn't like it because it was too mild. (I was appreciative that it didn't smell up the whole table!) My daughter's tarte flambee with goat's cheese was really yummy and filling. My chicken in riesling sauce was a bit dry, and the spaetzle was very unevenly cooked. Some pieces were dark brown, others were pale and undercooked. The sauce was good, and it had the potential to be good, but just wasn't. The onion tourte my husband had as an appetizer was quite excellent, though.

The kids meals came with a scoop of ice cream served with Smarties and whipped cream. They were thrilled. The house tarte was a blueberry tarte, which was surprising since blueberries aren't in season. Thus, it wasn't surprising that it was only so-so. My daughter and I had ice cream, which was generously scooped, but nothing special.

I would recommend this place to anyone with kids, or who doesn't want to pay a small fortune for one of the better restaurants in town.

• Visited November 2012
Ystad
“Nice little restaurant”
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Located in the very center of Riquewihr this little restaurant offers hospitality and very nice wines, made by one (of many) local vignerons, namely Gustave Jung.
For a quick stop with Pinot Gris or Gewurztraminer to the Munster - it is a good choice!

Nijmegen
“Not so good....”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

For the price they ask: better look around again. The atmosphere is nice in the restaurant and the service also, but the food is of poor quality.

Visited September 2012
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Friendly service, so-so food”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had a big salad, while my daughter had a tarte flambée. Nothing special at all, but was tasty enough and portions were large. Prices were standard for Riquewihr. Service was friendly and there was no problem lingering on the terrasse.

Visited August 2012