“great place but basic”
Review of Golden Sun Hotel

Golden Sun Hotel
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Ios
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed here with 3 of my friends for 3 weeks. The people who own and operate the hotel couldnt be nicer ( ever thought they robbed us on the room rate)! A cleener comes in everyday which is nice, bathrooms need to be ripped out but are fine, even with the terrible showers which you need to hold and the leaky toilet. the toasted sandwichs in the "reception" were nice. The bar was good and the pool is amazing. Really comfortable sun loungers which are new. All in all, i would go back if they revamped the rooms a bit.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 22, 2010

I first had the pleasure of staying at the Golden Sun in 1989 a few months after it opened, and until last year, when due to childrens schooling I was unable to make it, I had been to Ios every year since. And for each of those 20 years I have stayed at the Golden Sun.

Over the years I have come to feel part of the family, and I have travelled back first with friends, then wife and now with my two young children so have grown very fond of everyone involved with Golden Sun.

But the thing that I have never found anywhere else in the world, is the love and care that they show to their guests whether you are staying for one night or returning many times like myself or countless other guests.

I have seen countless acts of kindness over the years, that do not get shown in pictures but are actually more important than having the biggest rooms or the largest flat screen TVs.

That said as other reviews say, the cleaning is impeccable, the swimming pool divine and I will never ever bore of the beautiful view over the port and the surrounding hills.

You can also get these things elsewhere, but you will never find a warmth of welcome like you do at Golden Sun, so go on go see my friends at Golden Sun, I promise you will be back.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Shaun_J_UK
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My first stay were in 2003, with two friends.. We heard that Ios was the place to be, for party animals, so we went..
We were quickly picked up by 3 hotel owners, and we chose Golden Sun..

Never, ever in my imagination had a imagined feeling home in a place, well, not at home.. :)

The hospitality, and friendliness this family contain is above any imagination.

We stayed there for about a week, and we didn´t wanna go after the stay, but there was a plane to catch, so.. :)

I returned to the ciclades with my girlfriend in 2006, and I spotted the Golden Sun sign right away and we went there.

"Little Mama" as I call her, recognized me, and that´s quite amazing, thinking it´s been 3 years since my last stay.
We had the most amazing time there, and returned in 2007, where we also met a british couple. They visit Golden Sun sometimes 2 times a year, .. in 18 years, there hasen´t been one single year, where the husband hasen´t been there. That is quite amazing!

Again we had the most excellent time there, and they helped us rent a car for no money for 3 days... And a must, for you reading this.. Go to Manganari Beach.. it´s beyond amazing.. It´s simply beautiful, and child friendly. And almost no wind at all, no matter how breazy it is on Ios .. ´But, I think you would happiest by going by rental car, otherwise you have to go by bus or boat.
In my opinion your own vehicle is to be appreciated so you can leave when you want etc..
The road there is excellent, until you reach the beach, but it´s just a bit bumpy there.. No worries.. But the trip itselfis beautiful, with some excellent views along the way, where you will also see some other beaches.

Well, enough gossip from me.. :)

I´m leaving for the Ciclades once again in a week, and will be off for 3 weeks, and Golden Sun can expect another visit by me/us for sure :)

Anders,
Denmark

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anders_J_DK
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in this lovely hotel. From the first moment we arrived we felt the hospitality from the owners of the hotel and all the staff. The rooms are big with balcony and very clean. The housekeeping cleans the rooms every day and put fresh towels. The swimming pool is excellent and big for the size of the hotel and the view is Breathtaking!!! The port is only 5 minutes on foot from the hotel and chora is approx. 10 minutes. However you need to take the bus to go to the mylopotas beach. The bus stop is outside the hotel which is very good!!! The bus route is every 10 minutes. I stongly recommend this hotel to everyone!!! Thank you Golden sun Hotel.. I really had a good time in ios island!!!

Kostas Kapsalis
Chris Sventzouris

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2009

The hotel is very decent. The rooms are clean and the owners are very friendly. It has a nice view when sitting in the pool area. It has a/c, tv, fridge in the rooms but the rooms themselves are pretty simple for what you pay.

What we found really unacceptable was the so-called breakfast. 2 slices of toasted bread, one butter and two marmelade caps, of the most cheap ones. 1 small glass of preserved juice and coffee with a strange taste. TOTALLY unacceptable. For a 110€ triple room, we would expect a small buffet, offering milk & serials, yoghurt, cheese & ham, eggs and fruit.

We also had a problem with the wc, which from time to time flooded and drained by itself. One last thing: every time we switched the a/c on, the room was smelling badly for several minutes... (do not have a clue why!)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank jdar002
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I stayed in the Golden Sun for 10 nights at the end of June and I cannot say anything bad about this hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful, the rooms are a good size and all have large balconys in the sun all day, Rooms are equipped with a bathroom with a shower, fridge, tv, air conditioning which was essential - even in June! and a wardrobe. We had everything we needed - you are even supplied with a towel for the pool area, towels for the shower and the rooms are cleaned every day.

The best bit about the hotel was the pool area, the swimming pool is amazing and all the sunbeds have padding. There is a pool bar with snacks and drinks available during the day at a reasonable price and the pool is in the sun all day.

The location of the hotel is walking distance to the port, the hotel provides free transport too and from the hotel to the port daily for catching a ferry. The port has a few restaurants and a supermarket, A really nice place called Zest does amazing ice cream cocktails!!!

If you fancy the crazy nightlife in the town itself you can either catch a bus from just outside the hotel for 1 euro 40 (bus comes every 20 mins up until 12am) or walk it in 20 mins (although it is all uphill and can tire you out - but is a nice walk back). If you do decide to walk call in to Escape restaurant on the way, our favourite restaurant for our stay, we went 5 times!! Lovely staff , great atmosphere and amazing food!!.

Is nice that this hotel is not in the town centre, the town is noisy until 8am and not the cleanest. It was good to be able to visit the town when we were looking for some crazy drinking then retire back to the nice peaceful hotel.

I dont have anything bad to stay about this hotel and would definately stay here again if I ever go back to Ios. The atmosphere was very relaxed, the place was spotless, the people were very friendly, no complaints. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I am also shocked that anyone can write a bad review about the Golden Sun.My husband and i have been been going to this hotel for years.As drunken teenagers and now with our young son.The owners jani and his wife alongside his daughters and son in laws have been so hospitable and we witness year after year the care they show all there guests and the special relationship they have with people.Indeed time and again we meet guests who have stayed here over and over again for the same reasons.
The hotel is so well maintained and they update something every year.This year gone are the white plastic loungers and in there place was the most comfortable padded ones with lovely yellow towels provided.
The rooms are cleaned daily and the hotel is spotless.
The pool is a delight with beautiful views alongside a bar that provides drinks and snacks.
It is in a great location about 5 mins walk to the port with a few lovely restaurants or a 5 min bus journey to the village(bus stop located outside the hotel)where there are even more lovely restaurants and a great night life.
This hotel is a good honest hotel which has brought us back to the island of Ios so many times.It represents great value for money.If you have children ask for a room without a balcony but an outside area.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family