“Great Resort, Wonderful surroundings”

Horizon Village & Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Doi Saket
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Resort, Wonderful surroundings”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here a few times now for business conferences and the Horizon is a wonderful resort location surrounded by botanical gardens. The rooms are clean, staff are friendly and the food is nice.

I've only once had a problem with my room and the management were more than helpful in finding me a replacement room without an issue.

The only downside for me is that I wish I had my family with me so they could also enjoy the Village and it's surrounds.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
horizonvillageresort, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service. Thank you once again and hope to see you and your family in the near future.

C Thavaravej

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 30, 2014

When planning a gathering of coworkers who are located in different Asian countries, Horizon Village should be top on your list. I rate as "excellent" the food, the friendly and helpful staff, the quality of the accommodations, the cleanliness of our rooms, the orderliness of the botanical gardens, the zoo -- every aspect of this place is excellent. My discussions with their manager were superb. When he discovered an error that was costing the Horizon loss of potential income, he discussed the problem with me and stated that he had made the error, and would bear the loss. He acted with integrity. The atmosphere of Horizon is such that our families with young children were able to let them run and play. It is so relaxing at Horizon.

I met both owners and thanked them each for making such a wonderful place, and for sharing it with the world. The owners struck me as service-minded people. I observed as they personally stopped to help customers, rather than leaving such tasks to their staff.

In the future, I will plan to return to Horizon Village when we have another conference in Asia.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank evets1961
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service. Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Horizon Village Resort was a most pleasant surprise. Our family found it a perfect place to rest and be refreshed. My son enjoyed feeding the fish and watching them. My daughter enjoyed the cycling. The property is huge and beautiful. It is well maintained. The petting zoo is a plus. The food was delicious; we loved the breakfast buffets. The staff was always so friendly and helpful. Thank you, Horizon, for giving us a great time!

Room Tip: We got a connecting room for our family and it was excellent; the kids could go to bed when they wer...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Staff of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic garden .It was our pleasure to take good care of our guests. .To Make our guest be happy is our objective of working.Most of our staff are
up country people who live in the community near by, therefore ,it might have some problem of communication with language but we will try our best. If there is anything that did not be satisfied,please apologize us.
We look forward to see you and your family in the near future.

With Respectfully,
Thavaravej
bethesda52@gmail.com
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Having spent a week volunteering in a hilltribe school I was invited by the sister of the owner of this property to stay for a night at a reduced rate which I was told included transportation to/from night market and airport as it was far from town. To avoid offending anybody I accepted and was shocked when faced with a bill for an airport transfer on the morning of departure. I spoke to the owner who raised her voice over the phone (something not normally heard in Thailand) and she told me to pay it and without me saying anything said I could write anything I wanted on the internet. Either she was having a bad day or it is time she hung up her tourism shoes and handed the property over to her daughter. Pity cause the daughter and the sister were both lovely to spend time with.

It is quite some distance from Chiang Mai and whilst there is a beautiful botanical garden attached it would be more preferential to stay in town and visit the garden if it appeals to you. The resort itself is more catering to Chinese tour groups - think loud TV's in the rooms and large breakfast area with hundreds of people. Not exactly pleasant.

The ladies I was travelling with check out early given my experience and moved to a city hotel where there is a plethora of restaurant choices and shopping.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

2 Thank kejey
Chalarng S, Owner at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear valued guest ,
Thank you for your promptly review.I have been working in hotel business quite long and have met many people. and understand the guests very well. Sometime we experience with all kind of guest's moods and misunderstanding.I would like to inform you that the room is cost at 2,000.00Baht include breakfast(but you paid ฿1200) ,the transportation to an airport is฿500(but you paid฿400).We provide free shuttle to downtown at 11am and 7pm..The day you were here we have in house guests about 274 persons .There were thai about10 pax and chinese 6 pax. the rest were Americans, Swiss, Dutch, German and French.You mention about if we charged you for ฿ 400 transportation to an airport you will comment us in the review on the internet. I accept that with respectfully and told you to feel free to do so.I think many of my guests who read the review will judge the action .However,I would apologize if anything ,here at Horizon village and Resort , that was not satified by you at all..Hope to see you again in the future . Please do not worry because I will work here and take good care of my valued guests.
Sincerely yours,
Chalarng Sesaweech
Owner

Chalarng@gmail.com
118 Moo 7 CherngDoi Doisaket
Doisaket Chiang Mai
Sevenoaks District, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

It is awesome. If you look for a place to recharge your batteries, enjoy nature and fast-paced attractions are not your kind of travel, this is your place. Yes, it is far from Chiang Mai (or is it really - 15kms in the direction od Doi Saket - very easy to explain). Also, the hotel has shuttle bus to the city twice a day - 11 am and 7 pm (for the Night Bazar). If taxi is needed, you can get one for reasonable price (e.g. 500 Baht for 6 hours to go to the ZOO and back). Staff is nice and friendly, massage is good (but pricey - as in a hotel).

Things to improve:
- staff's English - it is a MUST
- catering to special dietary needs - especially, since such promise was made during the booking
- food at restaurant (not breakfast - this is good).

Nevertheless - we are happy we chose the place and stayed there. We may do it again in the future.

Some tips:
- there is a local, roadside food place to the left (dir: Doi Saket) after you exit the hotel - it is something like 750 meters on the same side of the road as the hotel. A lady working there speaks quite good English. There are also ther similar places both directions, both sides of the road, but we made this one our favorite :-)
- to get to Chiang Mai, go across the street from the hotel and catch a yellow bus (pick up truck) - to go all the way down to CM will cost 20 Baht (watch out - if you start negotiating before the ride, you may end up paying more. If you simply get in and pay that, you should be fine). Just be careful crossign the road.
- the "buses" (pick up trucks) serve from early morning till something like 8 pm (return to Doi Saket) - be aware of that if you plan to return to hotel by public transport. If you miss last "bus", and don't want to pay for taxi, the best option will be to go to the Night Bazar (in front of Plaza), to catch shuttle returning to the hotel (you may want to call the hotel to check - just in case).
- grab a hotel business card from reception in case you need to explain someone where to take you if you catch taxi or other non-hotel mean of transport
- if you are stuck in Chiang Mai, with not much options to return, call the hotel to send a taxi or their own car for you. You will pay for it of course, but probably less than if you were trying to convince a taxi to take you to Horizon.
- go for the breakfast early - with bigger groups some food may run out after 9 even though it should be served till 10 am. And there are some dishes only served early.

Room Tip: Probably every room is great.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service. Thank you once again for your suggestion.It is very kind of you therefore we will try to improve our service work to be better and better. We apologize you if you found anything were not satisfied while you stay with us.Hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights after a few days in Bangkok. I was with my family (4 adults and two small children). After making my initial booking for 3 nights, I added a 4th. When I added the 4th, I requested that the rooms were next to each other and that we stayed in the same rooms for all 4 nights. When we arrived we realized that they didn't even see the comments. We were put in disconnected rooms and had to move rooms the second day, which is no small task with two small kids. Basically, we couldn't unpack the first day - it was so relaxing. We were given an upgrade the first day, but who cares about that when you can't even unpack and relax.

The free airport pickup was great.

The complex is far from the city and there are two free buses into the city. The evening bus doesn't give you enough time to really look around. We went into town twice and didn't have time to eat. You will have to choose.... eat, or look around.

If you want to go into the city early, the staff will call a car for you. It is extremely overpriced. Unless you have small children, you can walk out the front gate, carefully cross the small highway, and hail the little yellow bus (sangtaew). It's 20B per person and will take you almost all the way into the city - we took it to Central Plaza.

We paid for two 'car' rides into the city. The first one was 500B. It was a small SUV that we barely fit into. On the last day, I asked for another car to take us and our luggage to our hotel in the city. The staff told me we needed a bigger car because of the bags. I thought this was understandable and accepted the 700B charge. To my surprise, the same car that I paid 500B for pulled up. When I asked why we have to pay 200 more for the same car, the staff said it was because of the bags - because they're heavy. This was ridiculous... I laughed in the lady's face and walked away. Pull the other leg, it plays jingle bells. They are obviously getting kickbacks from the cars they hire. I thought the guests were to be treated like guests.

The grounds and pools are really nice. The botanical garden is okay. I don't think you could spend a whole day there unless you are really into animal shaped plants. If Horizon cared a little bit more about their guests, the place would be great. For us, this is the part of the trip we want to forget.

2 Thank 1980war
Dear valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service.Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future in Chiang Mai.Wherever you
are wherever you go,whatever you do be safe and good luck to you.,
Have a good day.

With respectfully,
Thavaravej
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We spent 3 days in this hotel to finish our holidays quietly after 1.5 week of circuit in Thailand. We were pleased by the beautiful gardens, the zoo and the quietness of the hotel.
Our room had a view on the lake, it was very clean and well furnished. We found the matrass a little bit too hard for our taste, but this is of course our personal opinion.
Breakfast was served on the base floor of the congress center. The choice of dishes of the breakfast buffet is a little bit small (in comparison with buffets we had known in other hotels) but various. You can have lunch and dinner à la carte in a restaurant (I don't remember it's name) beside the reception desk. There is a choice in Asian and continental dishes. The only thing which was a pity was the our dishes weren't served at the same time, which meant that my husband and I had finished eating when our daughter only got her dish. The second day we had lunch (buffet) in the congress center which was very good (more choice than at breakfast).
There are 3 swimming pools in the parc, but we only used the one behind the reception desk, which was OK.
We have used the massage service, this was 100% pure pleasure. I almost fell asleep during massage. Great !
We attended the New Years Eve party which was well organized, the buffet at this evening was various and tasty. Congratulations to the musicians who played during this evening, good choice of music and not too loud so that we still could speak with the people with whom we shared our table.
The hotel is about 30 minutes drive from the center of Chiang Mai. But good taxi service is available if you ask via reception desk. If you want to eat in another restaurant than the ones the hotel is proposing you than you will need a car as there are no restaurants in the near area of the hotel.
All employees are very kind and polite, but an improvement could be made on the level of English (in speaking and understanding) of the employees who are in direct contact with customers. Only few speak (and understand) English well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Doi Saket
#3 of 6 in Doi Saket
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
#10 of 381 in Chiang Mai

Been to Horizon Village & Resort? Share your experiences!