Brown's Old Orchard Cottage
$69
$96
$76
Travelocity
Ibis Chesterfield North(Barlborough)(Great Value!)
$46
$88
$64
Agoda.com
$81
All reviewsartisan foodb brobes and slippersbreakfast was amazinglovely roomjoanwelbeckluxuryvenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 4, 2007

I'll start with the breakfast, which is enough to see you through the next 12 hours. I attacked it manfully (for a little woman!), but didn't quite finish the scrambled egg that came with the salmon on the 1st day, although I managed all of the succulent kipper fillets (4) on the 2nd. I drink like a fish, and was given as much tea and coffee as I could manage in one sitting.

I was in the lodge which had the dicky shower, and it was giving off a sad spray of water, but I think that the problem was that no-one had previously mentioned it to Joan. I reported it immediately after breakfast, and by the time we got back from our day out, the shower had been fixed and was very satisfactory. I can appreciate, though, that for 1 night stays, it would have been hard to benefit from reporting it. I found the bed soft and comfortable, although one's perception depends on the mattress you sleep on at home.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much.

CW, Cumbria..

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol W
Reviewed June 1, 2007

"Cross over the ford", just as the brochure says and you enter a different world. Prior to our stay at 'Brown's', I had read comments on Trip Advisor and was encouraged by the excellent reviews and decided to persue our stay in Nottinghamshire and at 'Browns'
The whole setting was perfexct, from the ambiance of the reception/hall, surronded by the family history in photographs to the delecate personal and deatailed attentiond to the lodge that we stayed in, especially the fresh flowers.
The breakfasts that we had were sometinhg else, the quantity and quality was cetainely better that any other that we had had. The presentation (nearly) lamost prevented you from wanting to spoli it by eating it.
Brown's' is certainley a place we would recommend and is on our list of place to re vist.
I wonder if the previous cossespondent actually stayed at the same 'Brown's' as we did

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank oliver01
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I think the problem started when we drove up in a van, Joan the owner came out of the house and when she saw me get out of the van and I (shock horror) have a shaved head, I was asked coldly if I could be helped. I think it went downhill from there :-)
Despite both of us being extremely polite, I felt we were treated with extreme rudeness, with awful looks and downright rude huffs and puffs from the lady of the house.
The other guests btw were treated wonderfully as far as I could see.

The breakfast was to die for, beautiful, all locally sourced, wondefully cooked. I have stayed in probably hundreds and hundreds of hotels and b&b's, this was the best breakfast ever I think.

We stayed in lodge number 3. the shower was terrible and we found the bed too hard. Apart from those 2 things the room was very nice, although it would have been nice to have somewhere to sit down, there were 2 chairs, but they were too small to be practical to sit on.

The "Garden terraces are adjacent to each lodge" as is on their website, is one large terrace in front of all 3 lodges, when we were there, it had permanant wet floor cleaning signs, no doubt in case someone slips on the decking.

The gardens looked very nice and the area was extremely quiet.

All in, a lovely place, spoiled for us by the rudeness of Joan towards myself and because of me, towards my partner. This completely ruined our weekend away together. Tbh I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank cableguy63
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Had a lovely time at Browns, Room was really nicely decorated including fresh flowers and a gorgeous big bath!
Breakfast was delicious and the owners friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pugtraveller
Reviewed September 25, 2005

If there was ever a place that belonged on the cover of a tourist guide to England, it would be Brown's Old Orchard Cottage. The grounds at this old farm off the beaten path in Holbeck are stunning, and the accomodations were first rate. Joan, the innkeeper, was a wonderful host. Her recommendations for dinner (Elm Tree Inn & Barn Owl Restuarant in nearby Worksop) and a nearby attraction (Chatsworth House) were brilliant. The English breakfast was the perfect start to our last day of sightseeing in Nottinghamshire. The next time we visit England, we look forward to the pleasure of staying at Brown's

• Stayed: August 2005