“Back In Heaven”
Review of Villa Devatas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cepaka
Villa Devatas
Perth, Australia
“Back In Heaven”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We recently returned to Villa Devatas for our 2nd wedding anniversary, once again it was nothing short of spectacular!!
We also held our wedding at Devatas and it was truly amazing and once again our 2nd visit was just as great. I decided to write my 2nd review when I read AUSSIEJRB review, firstly I do not think you should be writting a review on a villa you did not stay in as you cannot give a true or fair account of the facility. You would have spent a maximum of 1 hour on the property and I do not think you can say you have experienced Devatas as it should be experienced.
My husband & I also inspected the villa 1 year before our wedding whilst the villa was vacant, yes there were a few leaves on the pathway when we arrived but you need to expect that considering the jungle environment. Alang Alang roofs will always have some kind of musty smell but as stated in previous posts an open door, window or turning the A/C on will eliminate that, it is the tropics afterall, neither myslef or my guests experienced that throughout our stay as rooms were aired and A/C's were being used.
On both stays at Devatas the property was immaculate, that included the pathways free of leaves, heaven forbid should a leaf fall from a tree! The staff are so lovely and attentive to detail, the food was beautiful and charged at local market rate, Cepaka is a beautiful village with its locals very warm & friendly, we absoloutley love Villa Devatas and will be returning for many years to come. What I can say for future brides & grooms looking to celebrate their wedding at Villa Devatas is you wont be dissapointed!! Our wedding was spectacular, our guests still speak about the setting 2 years after our wedding. None of my vendors had any difficulty in setting up gear, stairs are common in Bali and not really that difficult to tackle unless of course you are in a wheelchair. I had guests from small children to the elderly and everyone navigated the property without issue. There are many other reviews on Devatas which share my great experience, many other brides, grooms & holiday makers who would also disagree with AUSSIEJRB review. My 1 piece of advice to AUSSIEJRB is find another wedding planner, if your wedding planner refuses to take on your wedding due to your choice of villa he or she is very unprofessional and probably not capable of carrying out what is expected, many weddings have been held at Devatas without any issues and without any wedding planners quitting!
To Jacques and Staff, thank you once again from the bottom of our hearts for an amazing stay in one of the most beautiful places on earth. See you next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank procv8z

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I would like to stress that we did NOT stay at this property and therefore cannot comment on the staff or food service but I can comment on the grounds as my fiance and myself inspected Villa Devatas in May 2012 as a potential wedding venue. I write this as a caution to other couples planning destination weddings to carry through venue inspections where practicable when planning your overseas wedding rather than relying on seemingly pristine (and grossly misleading) photos on the internet!

We could not be any more disappointed. Our wedding planner who accompanied us on the inspection actually said to us if we decided to book it that she'd have to refuse to be our planner! Upon arriving we noted the unkept gardens, stagnant water in a few ponds, we viewed a couple of the bedrooms just to be polite even though we just wanted to get put of there as the villa manager went out of his way to honour the appointment to be there to show us around. He was very friendly and polite.

The rooms smelt musty and old like they had not been aired out in a long time. There were layers of dust on tables and dirt on the outside tables and chairs and many leaves all over the ground and in the pool, it looked like the maintenance and cleaning staff had perhaps abandoned the property? The property has the potential to be very beautiful with upkeep and the photos on website were obviously taken many years ago when things were fresh and new, or otherwise photo-shopped (I'm guessing the former).

If you have any people in your group with walking issues such as knee problems I would not recommend this property as many, many stairs need to be negotiated and they are very steep. Not young child friendly for the same reason. It would be a lot of hard work for the wedding vendors such as decorations, tables, chairs, caterers, dj etc to bring in all props and equipment as cars cannot access that part of the property and it all has to be carried in by hand.

I can see from two previous posts that people have held weddings there in June so presumably they have cleaned up their act which I am pleased about but I still felt it necessary to share my knowledge with other members.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aussiejrb
pajageneva, Owner at Villa Devatas, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Madam, Sir,
We are very surprised to receive a comment about our property when the Villa were closed for improvement works after a big storm which affect Bali in May 2012. First, your opinion cannot be objective as you didn’t stay in our property and you didn’t meet our staff. The only people you met was one of our staff who was in charge of the works. The property was of course, not maintained as usualy, air conditionning was off in all the rooms which explain the smell, the machines of our ponds were in maintenance which can explain why the water looks stagnant. Our lovely staff who works hard all year long (we have a 80% occupation) was off to take some rest. Our staff (15 people) give all their energies all year long to be sure the villa is always perfect and are very attentive to meet all the expectation of our guests. All our amenities ( cushions, towels, linnen) are constantly changed almost every year to meet the 5 star standard we offer.
All our guests who stayed in our property were very happy and all the comments we have received from them were positives. Many of our guests come back year after year. We are working with some wedding companies in Bali, both owned by Australian. All the wedding venues they have managed in our property were absolutely perfects. The last one was in july 2012. The readers can contact Katie at Balikuweddings and Vila at Bali Experience. They will attest that Villa Devatas is a perfect location for weddings and that the magic beauty of the place and our lovely staff have made all the events perfects by the past. We are always improving our service and our location and a new wedding place in the middle of rice paddy will be finish soon.

The pictures which have been published on our website have all been taken by a professional photographer in november 2011. They have not been modified by photoshop. The readers can easily ask our photographer Rick ( rick@luxviz.com ) to testify of this. Our original picture have been published on flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/76799381@N05/sets/72157629353474833/).
In conclusion, The Villa Devatas is always appreciated by our guests from all over the world and we are always working to be sure the Villa is well maintained and keep a leader position in wedding destination.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Everything was perfect, the location, the personnel, the food, the service, the weather, I have had a great time with my daughter...looking forward to go back again...we were spoiled!!!Paradise.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Carolina B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

"I can honestly say it's a pleasure writing this and cannot begin to thank you all so much for your help and expertise in making our stay at Devatas and our wedding the most amazing few days of our life!

The villa looked absolutely breathtaking and the food was absolutely beautiful! All of our guests complimented the amazing food you guys prepared and how beautiful the property looked. We couldn't be happier!

Thank you so much for making all our dreams come true!! You exceeded our wildest dreams and our family and friends will be talking about it all for years to come. Words cannot express my gratitude and thanks that I have for you all.

The village of Cepaka is so beautiful that we are looking to buying some land there for our future and someday I hope we can also own a piece of heaven in the most charming village in Bali. We hope to return to Bali in a few months to start making this dream a reality.

The gift of the beautiful sarong was so special, I absolutely love it and actually wore it to temple for the ceremony on Nusa Lembongan on Saturday. All of the Balinese complimented how beautiful it was - such a lovely parting gift - and know I will wear it often and think of you all when I do with much pleasure and pride.

You made the most perfect day of our lives a reality – we are eternally grateful to you all!"

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tracy j
FOUNEX
Reviewed June 5, 2012

IT WAS LIKE A DREAM !! The location, the personnel, the service, the food >>> everything was juste outstanding. We are really greatfull and would like especially to thank the entiry staff for the top and discret service (they did read our thinking always before hand - fantastic!!). We felt like as we were at home in our own place. I would strongly recommand this place for familys, friends, couples our for business as well. The place is extremlly quit. Even for a single person to relax and find the calme would be great.
THANKS YOU EVERYTHING >>> WE WILL BE BACK WITH MY FAMILY AND OUR FRIENDS
Marcel Christine Céline Sophie Isaline, SWITZERLAND

Room Tip: All rooms are TOP CLASS !!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcel H
Malta, Europe
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We have been coming to Bali every year for the past few years and travel extensively throughout the year. We have our own holiday villa in Phuket that we also rent out to guests and travel very well and have stayed in some amazing resorts, hotels and private villas. We tend to book one week at a villa close to Seminyak and then another week we tend to book a villa further out.

I found Villa Devatas by just searching online and the photos looked amazing. We had booked the villa just for 6 nights as that was all that was available. The booking process was very simple and the owner kindly gave us the last minute rate which was very good value. Originally there were just 2 of us booking the villa but then my sister decided to join us and the owner was very accommodating on this request.

I was very much looking forward to staying in the villa and we have stayed in some incredible villas in Bali. We have rented huge villas with 16 staff before up in Ubud and similar beachfront villas in Canggu.

On arrival I was a little disappointed with Devatas. The location was beautiful. The size of the property is immense and the layout is excellent but it was not as picture perfect as in the photos.

Obviously the villa was about 8-10 years old and not much had been done to keep it looking pristine and fresh.

The bedrooms smelt damp and musty when we arrived and the staff should have had then opened up and aired out before our arrival.

The master bathroom was not very clean. The taps had water stains on them. The sinks and toilets were stained. The toilets had brown stains on the inside obviously from the Bali water... Towels were frayed on the edges and one of our towels even had a big hole in it.

The opaque glass door to the toilet was stained and dirty and in general it was just disappointing.

Our villa is a lot smaller than this but we keep it pristine for guests and make sure they have an immaculate experience. We replace all towels, pillows and linen every 12 months and try and give our guests a perfect villa experience.

There was a spider and web in the master bathroom that stayed there throughout our stay.

One night we went to watch a movie in the lovely media room and could not work the DVD. We tried for 20 mins to get it working and called the staff. They said sorry it is not working. They knew about it but nothing had been done about it so for our entire stay we had a lovely media room without the ability to watch movies on DVD.

The guest bedrooms we had checked before our friends arrived and again they had a damp smell and had not been aired out. Some of the cushions and sofa fabric was stained with bleach that we ended up turning them over to hide the stains before our friends arrived. Our friends also complained the room smelt damp. But once it was aired out the smell would go.

Again in the guest bedrooms towels were fraying on all edges and the bath floor mats looked dirty and old.

The villa in general could have been a lot cleaner. We were laying on the sun loungers by the pool and the small tables/stands that you can put your drinks on were just covered in dirt and dust. Even when we arrived the grounds were just covered in leaves and by the pool, that the house manager apologized for them.

There were ponds on each side of the main living pavilion that were designed to overflow down and over a wall. During our entire stay that were stagnant and very dirty and not overflowing. It was a relief when we had heavy rain that sort of cleaned them out slightly.

This is such a beautiful property that with some care and attention to detail could be so lovely and perfect.

Maybe we just notice these things more than other people but they were really disappointing. I took photos of all these issues but I thought it is not fair to upload them without uploading photos of the many beautiful things about the villa as well.

The staff were all very lovely and the car service was very good and on hand to drive us anywhere we wanted. The pool was huge and beautiful and the gardens were lovely to walk around.

The food was good but just home cooked style. We have stayed in many other villas were the chef was more skillful and presentation was a lot better.

This villa is best suited for a large number of people or possibly an event but just with some light refurbishing the place would be perfect.

We are now staying at Ville des Indes for our second week and the differences are so vast. This villa is spotlessly clean. The service is incredible and attention to detail is flawless and so impressive... staff and chef are incredible... review will follow next week.

I guess for other people that have not rented many villas in Bali or do not travel as much they would be amazed by the size and beauty of the property and the location on the river is gorgeous. But for us this was all distracted by the above issues and detracted from the villa experience.

Room Tip: The master bedroom suite has a beautiful private swimming pool in addition to the main pool.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Andrew Alexander
pajageneva, Owner at Villa Devatas, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
We have noted your comments and thank you for your opinion. All ideas from our customers are important to us. We never stop trying to improve ourselves in order to meet our clients' needs. We are pleased to note that the performance of our staff met your expectations, that our driver made your stay more enjoyable and that you found the surroundings pleasant. And we are pleased to have offered you certain benefits during your stay, namely the flexibility on the number of persons and an effort to facilitate your budget.

To comment on the points of your discontent:
1) We were surprised to learn that you found a difference between the presentation photos of the villa and the villa itself. Generally our customers find that the reality is even more beautiful than the photo images; we have always had positive reviews, as well as published articles in which the press has been very complimentary about our villa.

2) The humid climate of Indonesia during certain seasons causes humidity odors in the rooms. Using the air conditioner for a few moments normally removes this inconvenience.

3) The gardeners in our service try to ensure the maintenance of the garden and pool, therefore surprised by your comment on their cleanliness. After a tropical downpour, it is not uncommon to have an abundance of leaves in the pool.

4) The hygiene of our villa is paramount, we employ 15 qualified persons to care for and maintain the villa in perfect order. The pillows and sheets and towels are changed regularly. Nevertheless, occasionally a towel will be damaged and has escaped the vigilance of our staff, for which we are sorry.

5) Electronic devices are changed regularly.

We are a small 'family business', our villa is rented to cover costs, hire local staff and ensure that it is more beautiful each year. We have an eye for detail and for us this house represents great emotional value we wish to share with our customers. In our logic, the celebration of marriages in many Devatas embodies this desire for perfection that we have for our customers. For one day be as special and unique than that two be together like that, everything must be perfect in this magical what the Villa Devatas.

We hope to have answered your questions and comments and would be delighted to see you again soon Devatas to give you new memories without a shadow of a fault.
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I stayed at the Villa Devatas with 3 other friends last March. We all had a fabulous time! From the time I made an inquiry about the villa till the last minute of our stay, it was a perfect experience. I travel to Bali twice a year and stayed at many luxurious places, including both Four Seasons Bali resorts (Sayan and the Jimbaran Bay, including the Royal Villas, two out of three Aman resorts, etc.). This place is just amazing! Please see the pictures on the website. It is even more beautiful than the pictures. We stayed at the Master Suite (separate villa with a pool) and our friends stay at one of the suites. The living area was spectacular, divided into a dining room and the sitting area. The main pool (infinity pool overlooking the river) was great. Close to the pool are the TV room (we used it only once on the Nyepi Day) and the Game Room. The SPA facility was wonderful. The massage was great and very affordable (only $30/hour). Both Ladies were local woman, but with great skills. We all enjoyed daily massages. Having a driver for almost a whole day was such a treat. All staff was extremely friendly and very attentive. Great a la carte food and wines (at cost). Delicious breakfasts (included in the rate). It beats the Royal Villas at both Four Seasons Resorts. Wonderful stay, will definitely return. Jacques, the owner, made our stay very memorable and nothing short of fantastic. Thanks a lot!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank maciek405

Been to Villa Devatas? Share your experiences!