“Not the Loin King!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Dodleston
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Take an off the beaten track location in Dodleston, a menu bursting with fresh seasonal dishes and a cellar full of real ales and fine wines and you have the ingredients for the perfect country pub and restaurant. It's a winning formula of traditional mixed with a few contemporary touches that makes The Red Lion a special place to visit.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Previous visits have always been exceptionally good, so we hope that the latest visit was a minor hiccup.
We had booked a table, but the service was slow despite it not being too busy. By the time the food arrived we were ravenous, and instead of complaining and sending the food back, we ate quickly and left. The Cod Loin, on previous occasions to die for, had been virtually cremated and was dark brown, dry, and hard. The chips were lukewarm, and the mushy peas were cold.
The Manager used to be 'Amanda'; very helpful and responsive. The pub website now shows 'David Walker' as Manager, so things have not improved for the better.
We will go back in the future and hope this was just a blip.

1  Thank steve4you

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We have dined at the red lion for many years and have always had an excellent meal. We come for the good food and lovely village pub atmosphere. However this particular meal was pretty awful.

It all started when the waiter didn't manage to get the correct drink for me, even when i had pointed it out on the menu. They also took far too long to arrive at the table.

The meals took a while to arrive but it was quite busy, so didnt mind too much. My mother had cod which resembled a house brick plonked on top of a pile of oven chips. The chips by the way, used to be hand cut and delicious once upon a time, so why they are resorting to the equivalent of mccains is beyond me.

My father said his chicken was very dry and tasteless, whilst my steak (cooked correctly to be fair) was greasy and very stringy. Not good for £17.99! I ordered a side of prawns which used to be huge and on a skewer but now are the size of a 5p peice in a greasy and bland butter.

Onto the dessert, my parents had raspberry sorbet, which was allegedly meant to come with a fresh raspberry sauce but actually came with a sweet sickly syrup with a few raspberry bits floating in it. My cheesecake wasnt too bad to find a positive.

We ordered a coffee which took a long time to arrive, and ended up having to remind the waitress to bring it over. Talking of which the service was very impersonal and the staff were very uninterested and looked like they would rather be somewhere else. Little things like having to ask for vinegar and not having a checkback or 'hope you enjoy your meal' made it feel more like a harvester than the village pub we know and love.

I look forward to a response as this meal was very disappointing indeed. We didnt complain at the time as we were being taken out by a neighbour.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Used to visit here very frequently. Popped in this evening and was greeted with "you booked?" When I asked for a table. Ordered the main courses and waited nearly 45 minutes with no approach and explanation. When I asked the waitress explained they had a 30th birthday party there. With a change of attitude of staff this situ could have been handled better, shame, wouldn't go out of my way to re-visit.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited this pub with a group of my friends. The atmosphere was bustling, and the food was pretty good. The service was a bit slow but it was clear the staff were busy. It was in a nice location, would probably visit again if I was in the area but would not go out my way to visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had an evening meal here with four of us on 21st August. From beginning to end this was an excellent experience. Very good service, very good food and very good ambience!
Cost for four was £92 plus tip. No complaints, only compliments. Well done! I wish all the restaurants were like this!