“In need of a facelift!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Northampton, United Kingdom
“In need of a facelift!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I went there for Valentines and were VERY disappointed. The pool is FREEZING, changing rooms dirty, spa very over priced, the gym looks like it's stuck in the 70's and half the machines don't work.

Don't know what the hotel was like, but judging by the facilities, not great, I suppose!

No complaints or 'contact us' on the website either.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete review and your constructive feedback. I agree with you that we had some unforeseen maintenance issues when you visited us last month that affected the pool side, this has now been resolved, my apologies for that. Indeed the changing room need to be update this will be all completed by the end of March part of an improvement program for the whole area that has already started.
I hope that despite your comments I will the pleasure of welcoming you back, I can assure that you will notice the difference. I would like to offer you 2 free passes to return once we have made the improvement so you could perhaps give me some feedback about the changes.
email: cgitton@qhotels.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
UK
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We often stay at Q hotels and indeed stayed here about 5 year ago. Our visit this time was purely for a relaxing weekend. We wanted peace, to be left alone to relax in our suite and to have a nice dinner each evening. The hotel delivered well in all areas.

The suites are spacious, clean and nicely decorated, with only minor signs of wear and tear. Iron/board, tv in lounge with sofa, coffee table, mini fridge and dining table, separate toilet, comfortable bed (queen/king?) in bedroom with quality mattress topper, tv with sky channels, spacious bathroom with separate shower and bath. Good quality tea/coffee tray and suites comes with wine and nibbles.

On arrival we were allocated a suite which had an inter-connecting door (great flexibility if you needed a two bed suite) but unfortunately, the inter-connecting door did mean it was easy to hear the people in the room next door. We are very sensitive to disturbance when we are away - being woken early cannot easily be fixed - so we spoke to reception. Charlotte was excellent. The hotel was very busy but she said she would see what she could do and would meet us in the lounge shortly, where we planned to have some late lunch. She did just that and explained there was only 1 spare suite but it had a broken radiator so was considered not to be available. She said there were heaters in the suite but she gave us the key and suggested we take a look before we decided if we wanted to move. We did and it was much better located being on the top floor, not inter-connecting and towards the back of the wing so away from the car park. We accepted the change and enjoyed a very peaceful few days. Well done Charlotte.

Our room service breakfasts were plentiful and the evening meals were good quality. The restaurant was busy but there was plenty of staff, service was prompt and the food varied and of good quality. We were also offered a complimentary glass of wine on our first evening as we were celebrating a birthday which was a nice touch.

There were some minor hiccups: our table for dinner on the 2nd night had not been booked, our first room service breakfast order was not collected from our door overnight, our wine (which was part of the package we had booked) was missing from our room but these were all resolved promptly and in a friendly way. Indeed this is a good value, nice quality hotel but the staff seem to really care and that makes all the difference. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely happy in their work. Staff should be a major asset to an organisation and clearly Q understand this.

We did not use the spa or pool but it was very nice not to be disturbed by housekeeping at all during our stay as they clearly understand the do not disturb sign! We also had a late checkout and it was wonderful that again housekeeping left us alone - not an experience we have had often before as usually they knock at 11am completely unaware of the special checkout arrangements. Well done again.

Room Tip: If you want more certainty of peace& quiet in your suite, ask for a corner suite that does not i...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive and constructive feedback. Indeed the team is a major asset and I am delighted that they made your stay a memorable one. I was pleased that we were able to rectify the issues immediately in order to be able to give you a great experience. Thank you for your loyalty and we can’t wait to seeing you again.
Manchester, UK
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Being a huge fan of Q Hotels we decided to stay here for a two day break and I will admit to being pretty disappointed. There were definite highs - the room was large and comfortable and had a fantastic view over the grounds, breakfast was mostly very nice with a good selection and the staff were very pleasant and friendly.

However, the pool changing rooms were awful, smelling of moldy damp with broken, chipped lockers, I was really surprised to find this at a G Hotel. I know this has been mentioned before but it was really poor, the refurbishment is well overdue.

Also, the restaurant was very disappointing. The menu was pretty limited and unexciting. The food was really not very nice. I had grilled chicken which was very bland and my wifes meal had mushy, undercooked batter and our chips were undercooked and neither of wanted to eat them. I complained at reception and was told that my wifes meal would be refunded - this has not happened yet but I have no reason to believe it won't as the staff are very efficient and helpful.

As I previously said breakfast was lovely, however my wife asked for a poached egg and it came after around 10 minutes tasting so strongly of vinegar is was inedible. We decided to eat out the second night as we felt we had no choice, we couldn't bear another evening meal in the restaurant with the limited choice and hit and miss food.

So, a really hit and miss experience and we came away feeling a bit disappointed which is a real shame as we stayed there specifically because it was a Q Hotel even though it was quite far from our planned days out.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive feedback.
I was delighted that you have enjoyed the hospitality and the view from your bedroom. However I will review your comments regarding your meal with our Head Chef in order to rectify this immediately, indeed as you have experienced in the past with QHotels this was not to our normal standard. I am pleased to say that the changing room will be refurbished at the end of this month, as a loyal guest I am sure that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and you will notice the difference.
Certainly as promised we will contact you without fail.
Christophe Gitton

Travelers are raving about these Hellidon hotels

Warwickshire
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Very disappointing spa break experience, made bad by the lack of helpfulness of the staff especially on arrival.... The female receptionist told us sternly that our room wasn't ready and then pointed us in the direction of the spa. She gave us no information about our meals available to us on the package, where to collect our robes, left wondering around asking for information on lunch and confusion over the time of our spa treatments.... Receptionist informed us it was at 5pm, but we'd booked it for 4.30pm. When checking it out ourselves at the spa, our time slot was infact 4.30 lucky we didn't miss our booking! After spending time in the pool area, which was dirty with very smelly with grimey changing rooms we wanted to go to our room for a shower. We had to ask again at reception standing there in our robes feeling humiliated, to be told they weren't ready and would have to come back later, yet other guest on arriving we're given there room!?? Never been to such a disorganised hotel spa!! The only positive thing about the whole experience was the thearapist in the spa, the treatment was excellent. Wanted to have a relaxing few days, but was too much trouble for some at this Hotel Spa! This hotel should not be offering a relaxing spa package, nothing about it was relaxing, and left feeling disappointed and would NEVER go back.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review and your constructive feedback. I will investigate the reason why you were misinformed with your booking time, and for not following our welcome procedure, my apologies for this inconvenience. Indeed the changing room need to be update this will be all completed by the end of March. I am delighted that otherwise you enjoyed your treatment and can assure that your whole experience as you can see form previous reviews is not a true reflection of our normal service.
I hope that I will the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Shabby from outside with no clear signage. This was a birthday gift that faildd to deliver. On arrival there was no clear entrance to the spa. After wandering around the attractive grounds we found a side entrance and managdd to locate a house-keeper who directed us to the spa area. There was a distinct lack of any staff or greeting however, and wd waited for 10 minutes with no clue as to whether we were in the right place - no welcome drink? Spa staff were professional and couteous when ghy did arrive. The pool was very small, dongy, cold and full of kids. The steam room was out of order and ghe jacuzzi murky at best - no hint of luxurious relaxation there either! Lunch was delicious but considering it was a pre-ordered box meal, it was 30 minutes late! Our treatments were wonderful and the therapists were great...

Room Tip: Dont bother!
1 Thank Tiffany B
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
I am disappointed to read that the quality of the welcome was far from what it should have been. Indeed we had some unforeseen maintenance issues with the Steam room, this is now rectified, we can get busy during the half term holidays with the children. Please accept my apologies for this. I am pleased to read that your treatment, the team and the quality of the food met your expectation however I will contact you to discuss the other comments.
I am looking forward to hearing from you very soon and will make sure that your visit is a memorable one.
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Mixed experience here. Whilst the staff were very helpful and friendly (one even followed me into the car park to give me a receipt, as the till roll had run out and we had to leave) and the rooms were great, the pool changing rooms were dreadful. Several of the lockers didn't work and those that did had keys without a band on so you couldn't keep them on you while you swam. The carpet was old and dirty and I'm not sure why anyone would have carpet in a pool changing room anyway as it is not exactly hygienic! I wrote an email asking whether they were going to do something about this but had no reply, so chased it with an email to the Operations Manager Mr Reeve and he has not bothered to reply to me at all. Shame as it could be a really great place and in the Spa itself I had a great massage. Just wish I hadn't had to get changed afterwards in the grotty changing rooms!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review and your constructive feedback. Tom should have replied to you if it wasn’t the case my apologies for this, I will investigate the reason why as we always respond to our guest very promptly. I will contact you to discuss your comments, indeed the changing room need to be update this will be all completed by the end of March. I am delighted that otherwise you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed your treatment.
I hope that I will the pleasure of welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The golf and spa package offered very good value for a 2 night weekend stay. The rooms were a good size and clean. The view over the golf course was a lovely bonus. The girls at the spa were very professional and welcoming. The breakfast buffet was excellent with constant refreshment of food. The evening meal choice was bland but okay - given the price it was good for what we paid. In general the staff were very obliging, friendly and helpful. On a small negative, the changing rooms were a mess by the end of the day and there were empty glasses left at various places around the leisure area.

Room Tip: As for a golf course view.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your positive and constructive feedback.
I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and pleased to read that you have made the most of our facilities and enjoyed the hospitality. We have some great packages available on our Website and indeed the Golf and Spa package offers excellent value for money.
Christophe Gitton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!