“Fabulous views, attentive staff”

Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was staying at the hotel for two nights as part of a group of over 40 attending a two day workshop. The views from the terrace are stunning and was hoping for similar from my room windows but unfortunately I was on the first floor and had a flat roof and other rooms to look at, but having said that I wasn't there long enough for it to matter. Room very clean, as was bedding although the carpet was pretty shabby. One overall thing spoilt my stay - the rooms were far too hot. I was only able to open my two windows a fraction because of having the flat roof I presume. They did have an oscillating fan but it wasn't very powerful. The temperature on the first night (bearing in mind this is August) was over 28 degrees with the fan operating and only a degree or so cooler on the second night. I was extremely surprised to find that the lady who had the next room to mine had air conditioning!!! How weird is that (or lucky)? We had the same choice of breakfast as everyone else staying independently and when asked I was brought freshly cooked poached eggs which were delicious. Lunch and dinner were actually buffets (so something to please everyone) but the lunch and dinner menus didn't differ very much so that was disappointing although everything was hot and appeared freshly cooked. On a very positive note all the staff were very attentive and helpful hence the extra fourth point on the rating. I would consider visiting again independently but would definitely ask for a room with air conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor as the 2nd floor rooms are in the roof and have skylight windows a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am very pleased that you had a great time with us. Indeed we have a choice of bedrooms, please request one with view and you will not be disappointed.
We have some great packages available on our website, I hope that you will make the most of our facilities: Golf, Spa Leisure, Pool, Bowling, and some great walks around the hotel during your next visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have just stayed here with two friends on a spa break which at £110 each for lunch,treatment ,dinner and breakfast was an amazing deal. The staff at the hotel were all extremely friendly and helpful. There are many positive things about the hotel. The food was good, our room was fantastic with lovely views of the golf course and the spa was very nice. However, there are some areas where I felt that with a little extra attention this hotel could be superb. Firstly, the changing rooms, there were an odd array of metal and wood lockers most of which didn't lock and were very shabby. There were no toiletries to use,I would expect to find these in a spa changing room and it also helps to sell products. but they did supply hairdryers AND straightners. The corridor to the swimming pool was a bit ugly and could have done with a lick of paint and a few pictures on the walls. And the terrace bar where we had our spa lunch was very dated in decor and furnishings and had more the feel of a locals pub than somewhere to relax in a robe. It didn't help that the bar was full of golfers so my friends and I felt rather embarrassed sitting there in our robes. There is a 'relaxation room' adjacent to the bar which the therapist told us about after our treatments which we had to ask to be unlocked.However, this was not a problem,and the young manbehind the bar brought us our afternoon tea in there .(Although most of my friends hot chocolates were slopped down the side of the cup and in the saucer!.Once again, attention to detail!). The room is large, with lovely views and would make an ideal area for spa guests to enjoy their lunch away from the golfers. But the room was sparsely furnished and cold. What a waste!!.
To sum up I think Hellidon Lakes could be fantastic, with a little investment and vision this could be a wonderful place for a relaxing weekend away. I would suggest that the Hotel manager visit a few other spa's and get some ideas!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank runningwitch
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am very pleased that you had a great time with us. Thank you for your constructive feedback, I always encourage our guests to give us any ideas that will improve their experience, we will work towards your comments and hopefully make it a fantastic experience next time.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last Friday with friends for one night, pleasantly surprised with the quality of the hotel given some of the comments I have read. The rooms were large with a big bathroom containing shower and separate bath, dressing gowns hanging on the door. The staff from check in through to the bar staff couldn't have been more friendly , helpful or professional, overall a great hotel for the money.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am delighted that you had a great experience and enjoyed the hospitality. We have some great packages available on our website, please make the most of them.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent 2 nights here in July 2013 and we had no complaints. Weather was fantastic so we could play golf on their 9 hole course, walk the grounds round the lake, use the pool but it was to hot to go in to the hot tub!!
Food and service got 5 stars from us. All in all a good stay and we hope to try their sister hotel in Devon sometime soon.

Room Tip: We were in a lodge a few minutes walk from main hotel and that consisted of a suite with love,y view...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. Very pleased that you had a good time with us and enjoyed our facilities. We have so much to do on site surrounded by a beautiful countryside view.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed there for a couple of nights in August, paid about £106 in total on some deal, maybe cos it was Sunday to Tuesday.
The place was well laid out, room was small but nice with a stunning view of the golf course. We had a walk around the course which was good. The staff were very pleasant. Breakfast wasn't good. The first day I bit down on a lump of fat in a sausage and that was it for hot breakfasts. Had fruit the next day.
The bar prices are far too high. £4.50 for a pint is above London prices. A real p*** take. If the hotel was truly four or five star then maybe those prices could be justified but it's three star for me.
A nice place to stay, we didn't use the bowling alley, pool, sauna or tennis court so I can't comment on those.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am please that you had a great experience with us and noticed your constructive feedback. I hope that you will make the most of all our facilities on your returned visit (indeed we have some great deals available on our website). With the golf, Spa, leisure, bowling, tennis and walks we have a great choice for everyone.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary as a surprise for my husband. Loved the hotel. Staff were all very helpful & even gave us a complimentary bottle of wine & chocs in our room which was very nice! Room overlooked the golf course with excellent views. We hadn't booked a table in the restaurant for the evening & asked at reception only to find out that the earliest available was at 9:15pm! We decided to eat in the bar but asked at the restaurant later on the off chance & as someone hadn't shown up for their reservation, they kindly showed us to a table! Restaurant Manager was ever so helpful & friendly! Breakfast was nice as well.
Hotel is nice & clean. Only downside I would say is that the swimming pool could do with being slightly larger & warmer and the soundproofing in the hotel could possibly be slightly better as 2 floors above a wedding reception party we could still hear the music but it wasn't so loud that we couldn't sleep.
All in all a really lovely stay at a lovely hotel in beautiful surroundings :)

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am delighted to read that your husband had a nice surprise and that you enjoyed our hospitality. Indeed the restaurant does get very busy but we will always try to accommodate our guests preferred time to dine with us. Our views are stunning, I agree with you, very relaxing when you are sat on the terrace overlooking the course.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after wedding and had a lovely time and were happy with our room. we decided to book the two day offer with dinner in the evenings. On our first evening we booked a table in the restaurant but when we arrived they had no booking for us and had to wait for them to check with reception that we had booked all though the restaurant was empty. We enjoyed our meal and the staff were very attentive. We were presented with a bill to which we explained were on an included evening meal we were informed we had gone over the £26 per person allowance all though we had both ordered from the menu with the* along side our choices and the menu states three course with an * along side is covered. We were quite taken aback at the way we were told we had gone over our allowance. we paid the £1.05p and left quite embarrassed at how we had been told.
We booked for the Thursday evening when we arrived we shown to a table and were left sitting for about fifteen minutes with no menu or offer of any drinks. People came in after us and were served drinks, water and had the specials explained to them . We began to wander if it was because we were on the included evening meal offer. We had very little service for the rest of the evening. When paying our bill on the way out we were met with another drama because we had ordered our drinks with our meal the bill had to be split between the restaurant and the bar.
To cap it all on check out the bill for drinks and overspend in the restaurant was included on our bill.
Very disappointed as we were on a much needed break.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
TomReeve, Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor i am sincerely sorry that your visit to Helliodn Lakes was overshadowed by the issues highlighted in your review. All guests who stay with us on a dinner inclusive package are entitled to a three course meal to the value of £26.00, as you have highlighted a number of dishes on our menus are marked with an *. I have investigated your comments and indeed it does seem as though an error was made on one of our menus, this has now been rectified. Your other comments regarding your bill and the way in which you were charged will be investigated, thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention. I am so sorry that this caused you some embarrassment, i do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future,

Best regards,

Tom Reeve
Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#6 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!