My wife and I have just returned from a weekend golfing break at Hellidon Lakes. I had used the hotel many years ago with foreign business visitors so was looking forward to the return. It was new then so much cleaner and and not so tired looking.
The staff in all the bars and especially the restaurant were very poorly trained and in some cases wearing dirty and scruffy uniforms. Even the Maitre D laid out our cutlery incorrectly. A bottle of red wine was knocked over by a waitress and although a complimentary glass was offered by this time we had had enough of the poor service and just wanted to get out. I particularly object to being called 'mate' by scruffy youths and young ladies who looked like they needed a good bath! To be called 'guys' is also not what I expect as we are obviously senior citizens and expect a little respect.
The food for the most part was good and plentiful. But attention to detail is required. Presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
The price of drinks is extremely high. £4.30 for a pint of beer and £6.75 for a glass of wine is London pricing!
The swimming pool is very small and scruffy.
The beauty treatment was a joke. My wife ordered a full body massage then added a manicure when we arrived. The receptionist got it completely wrong so that my wife ended up with a manicure and a pedicure and no massage.
The shower in the bathroom was excellent as was the bed. Large and comfortable.
The television in the room did not have Sky so if we had wanted to watch the US Open golf we would have had to sit in one of the bars or lounge area - again not acceptable.
The golf was again let down on the second day by the failure of the marshals to move people on and let faster players through. We waited on every tee after the third for up to 10 minutes. Whilst we accept everybody should have a chance to play - as accomplished golfers we did not expect to follow a group of Sunday hackers out for a laugh and not be called to play through. Nice course good pro shop but let down by weak and ineffectual marshalling!
The competition for this sort of golfing break is fierce and if Hellidon Lakes doesn't sharpen up on the basics they will lose out to other locations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hellidon Lakes Golf and Spa Hotel is located in Daventry in Northamptonshire. This hidden gem is surrounded by 220 acres of delightfully peaceful grounds; so it’s quite easy to forget that it is a mere 14 miles off the M40 and 20 minutes from the M1. Hellidon Lakes Golf and Spa Hotel is home to a 27 hole Championship golf course, a superb leisure club, relaxing spa, tennis courts and a fishing lake. In fact the hotel's eight sparkling lakes are behind our four-star hotel’s name. What's more the hotel has an indoor ten pin bowling alley - great for family fun or on an evening of laughter outside of the meeting room. The hotel has 24 flexible conference and meeting rooms, 200 complimentary car parking spaces and are proud to offer some great stimulation for conference and events; from self-contained meeting areas to superb team building space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - a q Hellidon
- Hellidon Lakes Golf And Spa Hotel - a Qhotel
- Hellidon Lakes Daventry
- Hellidon Lakes Hotel
- Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel Northamptonshire