“Very poor service”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Very poor service”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a weekend golfing break at Hellidon Lakes. I had used the hotel many years ago with foreign business visitors so was looking forward to the return. It was new then so much cleaner and and not so tired looking.
The staff in all the bars and especially the restaurant were very poorly trained and in some cases wearing dirty and scruffy uniforms. Even the Maitre D laid out our cutlery incorrectly. A bottle of red wine was knocked over by a waitress and although a complimentary glass was offered by this time we had had enough of the poor service and just wanted to get out. I particularly object to being called 'mate' by scruffy youths and young ladies who looked like they needed a good bath! To be called 'guys' is also not what I expect as we are obviously senior citizens and expect a little respect.
The food for the most part was good and plentiful. But attention to detail is required. Presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
The price of drinks is extremely high. £4.30 for a pint of beer and £6.75 for a glass of wine is London pricing!
The swimming pool is very small and scruffy.
The beauty treatment was a joke. My wife ordered a full body massage then added a manicure when we arrived. The receptionist got it completely wrong so that my wife ended up with a manicure and a pedicure and no massage.
The shower in the bathroom was excellent as was the bed. Large and comfortable.
The television in the room did not have Sky so if we had wanted to watch the US Open golf we would have had to sit in one of the bars or lounge area - again not acceptable.
The golf was again let down on the second day by the failure of the marshals to move people on and let faster players through. We waited on every tee after the third for up to 10 minutes. Whilst we accept everybody should have a chance to play - as accomplished golfers we did not expect to follow a group of Sunday hackers out for a laugh and not be called to play through. Nice course good pro shop but let down by weak and ineffectual marshalling!
The competition for this sort of golfing break is fierce and if Hellidon Lakes doesn't sharpen up on the basics they will lose out to other locations.

Room Tip: Insist on super king size bed overlooking the golf course!
1 Thank Ian D
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review and constructive feedback, my apologies if we did not meet your expectation, I have reviewed your comments and can assure you that I will highlight the points with my team. We have a very friendly team that normally receive a lot of praises for their behaviour and appearance, will definitely investigate your comments further with my Restaurant and Bars Manager.
I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your comments and hope that you can contact me in the very near future.
Christophe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Whilst joining a Golf party arranged by a friend, we were informed it was a 4 star Q Hotel, that boasts having a Championship course.
Upon arriving the greeting was nice even if the entrance looked like an Ikea showroom. The rooms were not in the best condition or layout. The food was poor, the drinks were expensive and the golf set up was poor.

Food; Tasteless and poorly cooked, no menu's available, a friend had a burger and on the first bite it dribbled water onto the plate filling the plate WRONG. The staff were rude and un-professional considering it's supposed to be 4 Star. The food took a long time to come out considering it wasn't what I would class as fresh food.

Resort; Clean and tidy with good facilities for all to enjoy, however the drinks were really expensive considering it was a Q Hotel.

Room's; First impression was good, how ever after sitting down and setting in it then became more apparent that the room was in fact dated. The beds were singles pushed together that we had to separate, there was a dresser and mirror in the room where the TV would of been better positioned so both were able to see it. The shower was good and that's nice. The bed however was terrible, it was uncomfortable and the pillows were hard. Other than the room being incredibly hot I guess it was a roof over our head.

Golf; This was poor and above all dangerous, the courses comprised of 3 nine hole courses. This meant that you would be playing 2 nine hole's to make the 18. This sounds ok but the allocated tee off time's on the 2 nine holes. After playing 8 of the holes we were then asked to push on or miss the 9th to get our time on the next nine. This then meant we were rushing, upon getting to the 10th hole we then had to wait for 20 mins for the 2 parties in front to play on, making sure that know body would be injured. The courses were very tight and overlapped constantly. I'm surprised there has not been a serious injury there.

My Conclusion, If your looking for a cheap holiday keep looking, if your going for the golf I know there are much better deals and courses out there. Unless they have a huge over hall, improving the menu and the food to what should be a 4 star.

This resort doesn't warrant the 4 star award. In a 1-10 score I would give it a 3 out of 10.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Delphin M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review and constructive feedback. I was please to be able to discuss your review and delighted that despite your comments you will consider us in the future. I have investigated some comments further since our conversation as our Burger is supplied by a local Buffalo farm and to a high standard. I believe that the liquid came from the tomato inside the burger. I am in the process of reviewing the bar prices but I am sure that you will be aware of the extremely challenging price increases that our industry had to absorb recently. My apologies if the flow on the golf course wasn’t as what it should have been, unfortunately, I am sure that you will appreciate as a golfer yourself that sometimes some groups can slow things down.
Christophe

Travelers are raving about these Hellidon hotels

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 rounds of golf one for the Saturday and one for the Sunday. The course claims to have 3 9 hole courses. Valley hellidon and the lakes. In truth it has a quite reasonable 18 hole course made up of the hellidon and the lakes. The valley course starts with two par 3s followed by a 225 yard par 4 and continues in the vain for the 9 holes. The greens are all the same, mainly 40ft x30ft and flat with no real imagination needed.
The stroke index is 1-9 on the valley course and 1-18 for the "proper course" so by them booking us to play essentially a 9 hole course and half of the 18 it makes stableford scoring a challenge to say the least.
We then played the hellidon (which is not going to win any awards, but was ok)
The Sunday was the same this time we got to play the back 9 followed by the pitch and putt 9.
If booking refuse to play the valley course, it will ruin your golf break.
Very very poor!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Almoststeve
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. Indeed the Valley course is less challenging but as you rightly mentioned the other two nine holes are to a good standard. However our guests play at different level and the Valley Course can also be challenging. I hope that you will return, we can make sure that you play your preferred courses. To do so please contact me and I will make sure that it happens.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We booked this hotel to celebrate our anniversary with my brother and his wife. We upgraded to a superior room which was lovely and spacious overlooking the ninth fairway. Jenny on reception was very informative and pleasant. Vicky and Cameron in the Lakes Restaurant were very attentive and even gave us a complimentary bottle of wine and box of chocolates to celebrate our anniversary which was most un-expected. My brother and I played a round of golf on Wednesday and found the course testing but very enjoyable. My wife and sister-in-law enjoyed a nice massage in the Spa. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 day break at the hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms 258 - 248 have views of some of the fairways
1 Thank JCW521
Dear Guests,
Thank you for review. I was pleased to read that the team went the extra miles and made your stay even more enjoyable. We are the perfect location to relax with so many great facilities, Golf, Spa, bowling, fishing, swimming and walking not to mention the fantastic scenery. I am delighted that you had a memorable time and please do not wait for your Anniversary next time and make the most of the great offers that we have on our website.
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Haven't been here for some time so my review is probably before July 2012 that I've stated I stayed.
Went here with my mother and sister. We upgraded to an executive room or a superior family room which was HUGE. Yes, it is expensive but totally worth it. All very clean with an amazing shower. Beds were lovely and soft and comfy. We did have a bit of a fuss with the electric, I remember it not working and the tv remote did stop working but staff were up straight away to sort the problem out.
The surrounding views are lovely. However finding the place is a nightmare. We did get a bit lost on the way there. The grounds are really nice, we went for a long walk around them one day.
The pool is fair and it was very quiet when we went. We ate out in the restaurant one night, food was really nice until a fly decided to land on my sisters plate - which was immediately replaced. The waiter was really nice and helpful. Even gave us free deserts to make up for the incident with the fly, although we hadn't even complained.
Definitely will be coming back at some point. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am delighted to read that you had such a memorable time with us. I would always advise our guest to follow the hotel signs until you get to the entrance of the hotel and not to turn anywhere prior. Indeed our location is slightly remote but it is worth it once you get there with all the facilities that we have on site. I am pleased that fly incident was dealt with the right manner, indeed we are not always completely in control of such incident!
Caversham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I would just like to write this as we have just got back from our amazing wedding day at Hellidon lakes after a rocky start of the year with Hellidon due to not being advised that silverstone was on the same weekend of our wedding and the prices of the rooms was going up that our guests to stay and not finding out until 5 months before so we had to change the date of our wedding which they did for us with no extra expense to us, they pulled it out the bag on the day we had an amazing hotel organiser, Peter, who was there from the moment we arrived till the moment we left. Every aspect of our wedding was perfect and would recommend it but make sure you make sure you are in control until the last minute.

Room Tip: When booking rooms make sure to ask for the new rooms as they are slightly bigger and newly decorate...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I am so pleased that despite a challenging start due to the F1 Grand Prix your special day was so successful. I am sure that you would agree that it was the right decision to change the date and we were always going to support and assist you. Peter was delighted to read your comments too!
I am looking forward to welcoming you back very soon, hopefully before your Anniversary on a Spa break! We have some great offers on.
Farthinghoe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Well good and not so good. - we had a rearrangement of our rooms due to another weeding in the hotel so we were bumped to another room for one night however they compensated us very well. The staff were exceptional in every aspect attentive, polite, humorous and fun. However the building is starting to look tired and the attention to detail was lacking. Windows in Dinning room (Big view Feature) were dirty, its about the only windows I want to gaze out of and with a beautiful sun set on Sunday night. Swimming pool good, spa out of order and no bags for wet swimming trunks. Lovely veranda with great view glasses and spa food boxes left for over 3 hours, more a management walk round issue. Cleaning up after people outside the restaurant seemed to be the issue. Early hours of Monday morning we were awoken as the bathroom extract grill fell out of the wall into the bath making a racket. We were on the north side above the entrance RM 169 about 7:15 the staff started emptying bins or something that woke us up again, Monday morning i guess so work has to start. Otherwise after an eventful day the day before we enjoyed our stay and we fully chilled out before going back home on monday

Room Tip: Be on the south side of the building and try and get a westerly view
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review and constructive feedback. Indeed I am please to read that following the initial challenges with your booking and the room you had a great stay with us. We are consistently updating the property and the areas mentioned will be done very shortly.
Christophe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,017 reviews
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!