“More of a golf resort than spa resort”

Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
London
“More of a golf resort than spa resort”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First of all, don't trust your SatNav with the postcode as you'll probably end up outside someone's house like we did! Follow the brown tourist signs and you'll get there! Upon arrival on a recent Friday evening, we were warmly welcomed by a very friendly receptionist. I cannot remember her name which is a shame as she stood out among the staff we encountered. We were promptly checked in, booked in for dinner at the restaurant and told about some of the facilities. Our room had a nasty sewage smell in the bathroom when flushing the toilet or using the sink which made the whole room smell. We quickly reported this to reception and were upgraded to a superior room free of charge which was really nice - much bigger room, nicer and bigger bathroom including bathrobes and better quality amenities. However, the pillows were very hard and we didn't have a decent sleep both nights because of this! If you prefer softer pillows, bring your own!!
Dinner at the restaurant was nice. There wasn't much choice, which some people might prefer, but having ate there the first night there wasn't anything I fancied eating the second night so decided to go out to the Red Lion in the local village - literally 2 minutes drive away which had excellent food, the best steak I've ever had in fact! The food at the hotel restaurant did arrive considerably quickly suggesting it had been pre-prepared. Nevertheless it was tasty. The wine was over-priced as are most of the drinks.
In the morning we were awoken by housekeeping attempting to enter the room without knocking. It was a good job we had the lock on!! Turns out they weren't aware we had changed room, so thought it was empty! Went down to the spa for our treatments which were lovely yet afterwards there was confusion as other guests were given robes and slippers to use walking around the pool/sauna area however we were told they were only for people on a special package. So we enquired about getting slippers at reception as we already had robes. They said they would ask housekeeping to send some up. When we got back to our room the keycard wasn't working so we had to go back down to reception and wait 20 minutes whilst the one receptionist booked in a large party. 20 minutes later we still hadn't received any slippers so getting a bit frustrated, I went to ask the pool guy who said we could get them from the spa, but there were no members of staff at the spa reception and I had already wasted enough time so decided to go barefoot! Surprise surprise other guests turned up at the pool with slippers from the spa!
The pool/sauna area is quite dated and definitely not big enough for the amount of guests there at any one time. The pool is nice, there's a small jacuzzi and a small sauna too. With a few lounges/chairs by the side of the pool facing the view of the golf course. Would be nice on a sunny day! Don't bother saving a seat as if you leave the pool area someone will probably steal it as happened to us!
I felt the hotel was more catered for the golfers rather than people looking for a nice spa weekend. There were few "spa" facilities you'd typically expect of a spa resort and as I said those facilities were quite dated.
Lovely views and location though. All in all we had a nice break, it could have been more stress-free had we not had to change room and had the change been updated on the system. The staff were very friendly, I just felt reception was very understaffed.
Breakfast was very nice, lots of choice!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to a superior room! Bring your own pillows if you prefer soft ones and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your constructive and positive feedback. I am please that overall your stay was enjoyable. I agree that with some of the SatNav may not lead you straight to the hotel however indeed the brown signs will direct you anyway when you are getting closer.
I am delighted that the team dealt with the issue efficiently however I have noted some of your comments that will require further attention. Indeed we are planning some improvement very soon to create more relaxation space for our spa guests as our spa is getting very popular.
I hope that you will re visit us very soon
Christophe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My Husband and I have just returned home after my birthday weekend away. The Staff were amazing and nothing was too much trouble. We booked for our evening meal in the restaurant and the lady at reception must have spoken to the restaurant staff and they decorated our table with a birthday banner and confetti and treated us like VIP's. Food was amazing.This Hotel is clean and pleasant we had a lovely time. If we could recommend any changes I would say more walks for people who wish to enjoy walks round the lovely lakes without involving golf ( a lot of the grounds have signs that say Golfers only). A bit dangerous for walkers that do not wish to be hit by golf balls.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your fantastic comments and I am delighted that the team made your stay even more special. We have a very friendly team that will always endeavour to go the extra mile. I will review your comment regarding the walk but indeed we do not want our guests to get injured!
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have just returned from a spa weekend at Hellidon Lakes. It was an absolutely amazing weekend and my sister had a great time. We arranged the weekend as a surprise hen do and the hotel were very accomodating for all our needs throughout the weeks prior to our stay. They organised spa treatments, rooms, food and bowling which we all thoroughly enjoyed.
We would like to thank the hotel for everything they did for us to make the weekend special, and especially to Cameron, James, Matt, Rhia and Michael who looked after us on the Saturday evening.
We would recommend the hotel for anyone looking to arrange a hen do as they were so helpful and couldn't of asked for better service and accomodation.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake have beautiful views and look over the countryside where the hotel was lo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great feedback, I will make sure that the team members mentioned are rewarded for making your stay more special. Indeed we have some fantastic facilities to accommodate both our Business and Leisure guests, and the bowling alley is definitely an unusual one to find in a resort or any hotels. Thank you for choosing us for such a special celebration, we have some great packages available for any occasions and so much to do here, I hope that you will re visit us very soon.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We found this hotel excellent value. We paid £109 for lunch, dinner, bed, breakfast and 2 treatments. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The food was ok but scrambled egg was very dry and starters were a bit boring. Rooms were excellent size and newly refurbished. Spa area was a little tired but I believe this is next for a refurb. Treatments were very good and the girls were so friendly.

Room Tip: Check which way your room is facing. Some have good views some dont
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive and very positive feedback. I am please that you had a great experience with us and will act upon your recommendations. Indeed we have a great Spa team, they will be delighted ton read your comments.
Manchester
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have stayed here twice now for the same annual event, and found it to be a pleasant and comfortable stay. Large beds and a good sized tv make it a good room for lone travellers, and there is parking a plenty outside.

The food is good though the bar is not he cheapest!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your loyalty and I am please to read that once more you had a great experience with us. I will pass your positive comments to the Chef too.
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visited this hotel for a company conference. We went straight into the conference rooms which we accessed via a seperate entrance to the main hotel building. My initial thoughts were that the conference rooms were looking a bit tatty and tired. Food throughout the day was very good and well presented, the staff were extremely friendly and courteous.
The hotel itself was not as tired looking and again the staff were extremely helpful, reception was quick and effiecient. The bedroom was well presented with an excellent view over the golf course and small lake. The bathroon was small but clean with an excellent shower. Breakfast was very good with a good selction of both hot and cold food. The hotel has a 4 lane bowling alley in the basement which was great fun. I would be quite happy to return to this hotel for a family visit.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great feedback. I am pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed our facilities. Indeed the bowling alley adds to the experience and is so popular with all our guests whether you are for Business or Leisure. I hope that you will visit us again soon for a leisure break and make the most of the other facilities too, the Spa and Golf.
Farnham, Surrey, England
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I selected this hotel for my 90th Birthday family celebrations, after getting quotes from 10 hotels with, apparently, the right facilities. It was the fourth hotel on our list that we actually visited to inspect, and we were blown away by the exceptional location and facilities.

Negotiations were very straightforward, and they met all of our requirements perfectly.

When we arrived, the staff were fantastic.If I had been their parent, and not just a customer, they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Every slightest request was met promptly and cheerfully, by everyone from Chambermaids to Operations Manager..

We had all our meals, including the actual celebratory Sunday Lunch, in their Fawsley Room, overlooking this astonishing view, and close to the Dining Room. Every family member (22 attending) were absolutely delighted with the whole weekend, with golf, bowling, swimming pool and Spa utilised at one time or another - and all noted the friendly and attentive, cheerful staff.

They will all be delighted to return here for my 100th birthday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Westerly Outlook - Unbroken lakes, woods and hills, with not a building in sig...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TomReeve, Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Sir Holden, Thank you so much for your kind and complimentary review. It was such a pleasure hosting your 90th Birthday Celebration at Hellidon Lakes and the whole team are delighted that you enjoyed your weekend with us. We were all very impressed with your videography and your passion for making film, i sincerely hope that you will be able to return to us in the future as the event was most enjoyable for all of us here at Hellidon Lakes.

Thank you once again for your comments

Tom Reeve
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,015 reviews
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!