First of all, don't trust your SatNav with the postcode as you'll probably end up outside someone's house like we did! Follow the brown tourist signs and you'll get there! Upon arrival on a recent Friday evening, we were warmly welcomed by a very friendly receptionist. I cannot remember her name which is a shame as she stood out among the staff we encountered. We were promptly checked in, booked in for dinner at the restaurant and told about some of the facilities. Our room had a nasty sewage smell in the bathroom when flushing the toilet or using the sink which made the whole room smell. We quickly reported this to reception and were upgraded to a superior room free of charge which was really nice - much bigger room, nicer and bigger bathroom including bathrobes and better quality amenities. However, the pillows were very hard and we didn't have a decent sleep both nights because of this! If you prefer softer pillows, bring your own!!
Dinner at the restaurant was nice. There wasn't much choice, which some people might prefer, but having ate there the first night there wasn't anything I fancied eating the second night so decided to go out to the Red Lion in the local village - literally 2 minutes drive away which had excellent food, the best steak I've ever had in fact! The food at the hotel restaurant did arrive considerably quickly suggesting it had been pre-prepared. Nevertheless it was tasty. The wine was over-priced as are most of the drinks.
In the morning we were awoken by housekeeping attempting to enter the room without knocking. It was a good job we had the lock on!! Turns out they weren't aware we had changed room, so thought it was empty! Went down to the spa for our treatments which were lovely yet afterwards there was confusion as other guests were given robes and slippers to use walking around the pool/sauna area however we were told they were only for people on a special package. So we enquired about getting slippers at reception as we already had robes. They said they would ask housekeeping to send some up. When we got back to our room the keycard wasn't working so we had to go back down to reception and wait 20 minutes whilst the one receptionist booked in a large party. 20 minutes later we still hadn't received any slippers so getting a bit frustrated, I went to ask the pool guy who said we could get them from the spa, but there were no members of staff at the spa reception and I had already wasted enough time so decided to go barefoot! Surprise surprise other guests turned up at the pool with slippers from the spa!
The pool/sauna area is quite dated and definitely not big enough for the amount of guests there at any one time. The pool is nice, there's a small jacuzzi and a small sauna too. With a few lounges/chairs by the side of the pool facing the view of the golf course. Would be nice on a sunny day! Don't bother saving a seat as if you leave the pool area someone will probably steal it as happened to us!
I felt the hotel was more catered for the golfers rather than people looking for a nice spa weekend. There were few "spa" facilities you'd typically expect of a spa resort and as I said those facilities were quite dated.
Lovely views and location though. All in all we had a nice break, it could have been more stress-free had we not had to change room and had the change been updated on the system. The staff were very friendly, I just felt reception was very understaffed.
Breakfast was very nice, lots of choice!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hellidon Lakes Golf and Spa Hotel is located in Daventry in Northamptonshire. This hidden gem is surrounded by 220 acres of delightfully peaceful grounds; so it’s quite easy to forget that it is a mere 14 miles off the M40 and 20 minutes from the M1. Hellidon Lakes Golf and Spa Hotel is home to a 27 hole Championship golf course, a superb leisure club, relaxing spa, tennis courts and a fishing lake. In fact the hotel's eight sparkling lakes are behind our four-star hotel’s name. What's more the hotel has an indoor ten pin bowling alley - great for family fun or on an evening of laughter outside of the meeting room. The hotel has 24 flexible conference and meeting rooms, 200 complimentary car parking spaces and are proud to offer some great stimulation for conference and events; from self-contained meeting areas to superb team building space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - a q Hellidon
- Hellidon Lakes Golf And Spa Hotel - a Qhotel
- Hellidon Lakes Daventry
- Hellidon Lakes Hotel
- Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel Northamptonshire