“Paved with good intentions”

Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Start with the good bits. Staff were excellent and the food was very good. I particularly liked the chefs take on leek and potato soup. Everyone said how good it was. Maybe this is a chef that understands the importance of CORRECT seasoning! AT LAST! Well done chef.
Surroundings excellent.
Bad bits. The rooms are so tired looking. Someone has tried to paint and made a pig’s ear of it. See Photos. Like so many older hotels it needs some serious investment for the décor to match the surroundings and the excellent staff. Don’t let the bad bits put you off. It’s still a nice place to stay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank markymark9910
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Markmark9910
Thank you for your review and the positive comments about the team and I am sure chef is very pleased by your comments!!
As mentioned in a number of posts, we are indeed investing in Hellidon Lakes and should your travels bring you this way again from NZ then we will welcome your comments on the refurbished areas of the hotel.
Chris Steadman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

994 - 1,000 of 1,373 reviews

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel is in a nice location, reception staff are lovely but as I had purposely booked this hotel for the pool facility (I have to swim to help with medical condition) I was irritated and frustrated that I was not able to do so due to a brochure in my bedroom displaying opening times being out of date.
I chose this hotel for its pool and followed the instructions in the bedroom brochure to use the pool - Mon to Fri last entry 9.15. I arrived just after 7, ate early early so I could use the pool. I went down to the pool just after 9pm There were no staff to be found I called out walked around and then thought having signed in on the paperwork left on the top that I would just go ahead and swim. I reached over to help myself to a towel and then tried to the door to the pool. NO, the door was locked. Frustrated I decided to keep calling out and snoop around to find a member of staff.
I found the young man sweeping up in the gym and told him I had been calling and wanted to use the pool to be told, quite rudely that "It's shut"
I pointed out that according to my brochure in the bedroom the last entry was 9.15 and it was still only 9.10 so I had 5 minutes before the final entry and 45 minutes until the Spa closed.
He walked past me to his reception and pointed out what his piece of paper on the wall said 9.00.
He looked fed up and ready to go home which is probably what he intended to do as soon as I was out of his way.
I told him that I had done nothing wrong and was only following the instructions in my room. He offered no apology, no empathy, no customer service
As a cusotmer services trainer I know what good should look like, this was definitely not it!
Calvin as the young man's name was confirmed to me later should go back to the Customer Training that Q hotels have for staff, he still has some lessons to learn.

Response to my complaint:
Sam the duty manager did call me in my room after I reported my disappointment at reception he took copious notes and was going to report the issue to the General Manager. He was very professional in his response.
The General, only in his job for a couple of weeks, has since called, apologised for the disappointment and assured me my feedback will be taken seriously and action as to customer service training for the spa taken in hand .
An offer of Goodwill has been made

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

scarmic3
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience which was very disappointing to read and I can assure you that action has been taken, this level of service is unacceptable.
Once again I apologise for this and trust it will not deter you in returning to Hellidon lakes in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Nine of us on a golf trip unfortunately rained off.
Accomodation was okay but I must comment on the food.
One of the party had ordered food from the bar at about 12:00 and it didn't turn up until about 13:00 after being ensured that it was on its way and would only be 10 more minutes when enquiring where it was at about 12:30. Other lunch/bar food was at best average.
Evening meal a couple of us ordered the "tiger prawn bla bla cocktail" at £6.95 - expecting some large juicy prawns most disappointed when 4 limp poor excuses were served up on a flat plate with a handful of lettuce dropped into the middle (wish I'd taken a photo).
Thankfully the main and dessert was okay otherwise we'd have been ordering a delivery from the nearest curry house.
Reminded me of the "lucky bags" you used to get when you were a kid!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

PEP462
Thank you for your post and I apologise for the service levels you received in our bar, we have recently changed our Manager in this area so I do apologise that this impacted your experience.
Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hmm. It's Ok and in a beautiful setting. But scratch below the surface & parts border on scruffy.
The room was clean but needed maintenance & decoration. The 'conference loos' definitely need improving.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FredPittwood

FredPittwood
Thank you for your post following your stay at Hellidon Lakes.
Despite the hard times industry finds itself at present QHotels have indeed been investing money into Hellidon Lakes, we are in the middle of refurbishing 60 bedrooms and have done our lounge area already. We also start work on the conference loos you mention in your post on October 29th so we agree and are working hard to improve the quality of Hellidon Lakes to a level that in commensurate with the brand.
Once again thank you.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My group of friends booked this hotel because we wanted a spa break and this was an excellent offer. The hotel itself is in a fantastic location with stunning views and the rooms are OK, clean but not luxurious, but for the price we paid can't really complain. The food at dinner and breakfast was really good but we did have to badger the restaurant manager to move us from a couple of extremely noisey parties that were literally screeching so loud we couldnt hear ourselves speak. We were on a relaxing spa break after all - not a hen night! Once we had sorted this, calm was restored and we went on to have a lovely evening.
Now to the spa - poor! This is not a spa hotel but a cooprate hotel pretending to be one. The pool area is very small with not enough loungers to accommadate the amount of people booked in. Poor excuse for a steam room and the jacuzzi - well we never got the chance to get in again due to the amount of people. The changing rooms are discusting and smelly and really need an overhaul. Treatments were OK but nothing special.
What saved our day was the fantastic weather which enabled us to sunbathe most of the weekend over looking the wonderful view - sip a few glasses of wine and treat ourself to the lovely food and chill out. However, if it had been bad weather we would have been really struggling. All in all nice hotel but I would not recommended it at all for a spa break!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Tommyandmaisieshow
Thank you for your review and here at Q we understand your comments and measures are being taken to ensure we have a spa offering to compliment the service, location and expectations of a resort hotel. Watch this space and I hope you return once the works are complete.

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Often when the hotel has the word quality in front of it, it is anything but. However, the Hellidon Lakes hotel, was very accommodating and the staff very friendly.

We arrived late, but because we have been trying to telephone in advance to book a table, but couldn't get through, Cameron (the restaurant manager?) Took responsibility, and found us a quiet private room, and made up a table for my wife and I.

He didn't know it was my birthday at the time, but actually the service we received was perfect. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family, and anyone wanting to organise a conference.

• Stayed: September 2012

RobThomasWSI
Thank you for your review of Hellidon Lakes and thank you for the very kind words throughout your post.
I was delighted to read of Cameron's efforts and I can assure you that we are ensuring that he is rewarded for his efforts.
Once again thank you for your support of Hellidon Lakes

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I went for our special treat today. My husband enjoyed his experience but I was very disappointed with my 2 treatments I chose. The staff seems to be a trainee. She didn't seem to have much experience and did nothing to relax me but made me very unhappy. What a waste of my day and money. Staff should take utmost care to satisfy customers. I suddenly had a dry throat while having my facial and she just sat there and not even once did she offer me water or ask if I am ok, how bad can it be? We were left waiting for lunch even though we were asked to state a time to avoid delay. Glass of bubbly was part of the package which did not come. When we asked, we were told, oh well they didn't tell me. Eventually did bring. There were not a single customer in sight when we sat to eat our lunch. I am just so disappointed. I like my treats and they let me down.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neelam S

NeelamS
Thank you for your review of your experience at Hellidon Lakes, I am sorry that the level of service you received was so poor, as you can see on here the spa is regularly commended for their smiley and professional approach to our guests so I am very sorry that you did not recieve such service.
Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss further.
Once again thank you for your post.
Chris Steadman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!