“First Impressions”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“First Impressions”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I had a 4 night business trip and found this hotel slightly over-rated. I was nearly knocked out by the automatic doors in the entrance to the reception. You have to get really close to activate it and then they open outwards. My suitcase was being pulled behind me so I had nowhere to reverse. I expect an appearance on 'You've been framed' very soon.
I wasn't impressed with the bathroom either. There was a skid mark on the towel, but then I remembered it was the one I'd used for my bath that morning. The fan is so noisey that I didn't hear the maid enter. She wasn't too impressed when I walked out dripping all over the floor (I wouldn't mind, but I'd only been for a wee).
Staff were excellent though, food was first rate and even when the restaurant is closed on a Thursday, I managed to get a salad from the lounge. Beware, the buffalo burger is HUGE - don't fill up on bread whilst waiting. And why does everyone ask if I want a pint or half pint when I order orange juice.
I would stay again but that's because there is very little choice in Daventry. Barcelo is apparently going down hill and staff are rude I hear from colleagues.
Free Wifi and UK phone calls very nice for non-business travellers.
Off to Saudi in two days - Any tips welcome.

Room Tip: They choose your room for you.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Anthony S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed for 1 night beginnig of November and overall the hotel was good, room was clean had a lovely
dinner, service at the bar was superb and very very nice bufet breakfast. I'ts one of not many hotels
with own bowling. I must say it was lovely to stay there and i recomend it 100%

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
ad4mo
Thank you for your review of the hotel and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do believe we are one of only two hotels in the UK that have their own bowling alley and it is great fun!!
Once again thank you for your post and I hope to see you back at Hellidon Lakes to perfect your bowling.
Chris Steadman
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2011

i stayed at hellidon Lakes on Friday 18th November 2011, i was at a wedding down the road, didn't get there till half 2 in the morning but my partner had checked in earlier as i was bridesmaid at the wedding!
Bedroom was nice, lovely setting, woke up in the morning, looking forward to a nice shower after the long day I'd had,....then no hot water, same for my 3 friends also, rang reception, then the manager came up said it should be fine now...ran the shower for 15mins nothing, got dressed and went for breakfast.
At check-out I said I wasn't happy with this, I dont expect to pay this money and not have something as basic as hot water, the manager told me she would get the operations manager to call me, 2days on nothing, despite 2 of us leaving messages this morning.

This is not acceptable, and i will keep ringing until i get a decent response!

Will not return at this rate!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank becky c
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
becky c
Thank you for taking the time to talk to me by telephone and again apologies for the delay in contacting you due to my Operations Manager being on holiday.
I was delighted that you have agreed to return to Hellidon Lakes and I trust you will leave with a very different impression. As discussed we were unfortunate to have a gas leak which tripped out our boilers leading to the lack of hot water, however the team could have more accommodating in getting you showered and fresh for the day.
Once again thank you and I hope to meet you in person on your return.
Chris Steadman

Travelers are raving about these Hellidon hotels

Guildford
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The staff at this hotel were generally lovely and very helpful :) Cheryl on reception was very welcoming.

The ladies giving spa treatments were very good too.

The leisure facilities..pool, steam room, changing rooms (especially showers) and bowling alley, could do with updating/general refurbishment. If these areas were better then the hotel would be more a 5* hotel and virtually perfect.

I did enjoy my stay overall though.

Room Tip: the double room with seating area in between the bathroom and bedroom is great :)
1 Thank ChristinaGuildford
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We had a wonderful week end at the hotel. The staff are wonderful and can't do enough for you, especially the receptionists, the man in the spa and schneil in the restaurant.
They make you feel very welcome.
The rooms are pretty basic but clean and comfortable.
i would definately go back or recommend to friends.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I booked a spa break for my friends 21st birthday, as a chance for us to get away for a relaxing weekend, which we have never had the chance to do together before this time.

I booked through the in house reservations team, who were nothing but polite, helpful and efficient. I sent some bits to be put in the room along with some balloons from a florist, and the reception team were absolutely faultless. Our room was ready for when we arrived around 12 midday, which made our first impressions all that much better.

To our surprise a birthday card was slipped under the door from the receptionists wishing her a happy birthday and an enjoyable stay. We both agreed this has never happened in another hotel that we have stayed in for birthdays etc.

Everyone in the spa, restaurant and the bar were also fantastic, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The chef even wrote ‘Happy Birthday’ on my friend’s plate. Our bedroom and all of the public areas were spotless.

I will be returning to this hotel again, and would definitely recommend it to others.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed at the hellidon lakes golf and spa hotel recently in Oct 2011 with my girlfriend, we wanted a short relaxing break away and found this hotel perfect for both of us. Set in beautiful countryside the room was imactualtey clean and very spacious. All the hotel staff were very helpfull and polite, exspessally the hotel manager Rob Diaper who went out of his way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. I really enjoyed the challenging and well kept golf course and my girlfriend was very pleased with the spa facilities. Our breakfasts and evening meals were excellent and i'm sure we will be returning in the new year because of our relaxing experience this time round. Carl Taylor

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!