The Elk's Head
Langley Castle Hotel(Langley-on-Tyne)
$220
Nent Hall Country House Hotel(Alston)(Great Value!)
$87
  • Pool
$81
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe pubhadrian's walltea and coffee providednice towelsguinea fowllovely innspecials boardfillet steakan excellent place to staysingle bedevening mealpeaceful locationnight staylovely weekendspent two nightsplenty of hot waterstayed here for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2014

this is a nice country hotel, we enjoyed our couple of nights here, nice room, clean, good shower, good food, friendly and helpfull staff, good atmosphere, locals friendly . .... new year buffet was ok,,, simple main courses, but tasty, the starter platter was very good, desserts - dissapointing.. their normal menu is excellent with good local produce....
at new year they had a DJ, which was good, lively, very hectic, then everyone seemed to dissappear at 11.30 and go to Allandale for the tar barrels being carried round the square at midnight.... we missed that... .. we enjoyed a trip to Penrith on new years day... wonderful views over Alston moor.... it looked good even in the depths of winter.... we were lucky with weather, so could see the magnificent scenery.... a nice part of the world to amble through...

Room Tip: rooms at back were quiet and relaxing, overlooking the river
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

WE had a morning in Alston and called for lunch at The Elk,s Head

As we arrived the Pub was Just opening ?It was winter and we really expected Log Fires Blazing away but we were disappointed to see empty Fire Places

we ordered Tea for two and a huge pot was presented which was welcome on a very cold damp day
The food was not Bad very average I would say but cooked well

I would recommend this pub for Traditional Pub Food

I feel that the Lady who served us could have been more friendly and attentive we were the only ones in the Pub?
and please use the fires its a lovey sight at this time of year and it would make the pub feel a lot more inviteing

I think we would use it again

Room Tip: not a bad place for pub lunch but nothing special
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

On my way back to the ferry (end of holiday) i decided to stop on this nice pub.
The (pregnant) lady was very helpfull and offered me a fantastic homemade hamburger!
Nice scenery, friendly people at the bar and a sunny afternoon......No better way to end my holiday!
This pub is by far the best i've been to on my trip from Scotland to Hull.
The Elks Head is from now on one of my favorite pubs!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent place. Miles from anywhere though so if you want a choice of pubs forget it.
Saw reviews and adverts saying "real ale" but on arrival only saw gassy lager and John Smiths on offer - my heart sank !..... However there was one real ale on offer and it was EXCELLENT - had several !!. The room was very good, overlooking the car park, and the food in the restaurant was superb - we had the Guinea Fowl - superb !. The pub is situated in very pleasant surroundings next to the river, with a good beer garden. Locals very friendly. Breakfast was superb! . All in all very worth a visit and if we are in the area again it will be our first choice. One suggestion to the management though - add one (or more) real ale to your offering please.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Staying with cousins near Allendale, we went over to the Elks Head for lunch. Wonderful slow-cooked venison, though I was tempted by the home cooked steak and local ale pie. Enjoyed it so much that I went back again. Twice. With even more cousins in tow. Had the steak and ale pie the third time, and it was as delicious as I'd imagined. I'm due back in Allendale in November, and I'm already planning an evening when I can have a go at the belly of pork. Friendly, helpful service, real rural miles-from-anywhere atmosphere, enjoyed every minute. Oh, spotless wcs as well (luxury!). If the weather had been just a bit warmer, I'd have taken my pint out to their garden and settled by the river with it. Beautiful setting. Wonderful!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends