“Superb”

Pegasus Memorial (Memorial Pegasus)
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Ranville
More attraction details
Owner description: A memorial to the first British soldiers to arrive in Normandy who captured the Pegasus Bridge from the Nazis.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Superb”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The visit to the Pegasus memorial was the highlight of our trip to Normandy. It is definitely a memorial not a museum. There are so many personal processions of the soldiers that have been donated by their families which makes it so special. A very nice lady gave us a guided tour, talked us through the large model and took us out to the original bridge and explained and pointed out things that we wouldn't have seen had we walked around solo. I can't recommend this highly enough, we as a family thoroughly enjoyed it and will do a return visit the next time that we are in Normandy. If you visit make sure that you go to the cafe at the side of the new bridge. The lady who owns and runs it was 4 years old when the bridge was liberated and there are many photographs and souvenirs to see there too.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mlhamer

• Czech first
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A must for a D-Day tour”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

When planning our D-Day tour, Pegasus bridge was one of the places we decided we had to visit. I would add to that if you're planning the same tour, that the Pegasus Memorial Museum, is a must.
The history of Pegasus bridge and what happened here on D-Day is well documented. But to see up close and get a feel for what the brave men did is a real eye opener.
The museum has an excellent range of exhibits, photographs, memorabilia and stories to entertain those of all ages. I learnt things about the mission, D-Day and the war that I didn't know.
An hour is the minimum you should allow but you could easily spend 2 or 3 hours here.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank thedrew85
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good museum”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This museum is well worth a visit if you are in the area as it is now the home of the original bridge that played a pivotal part in the success of the D day landings and follow up.

Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Excellent Exhibit that really makes you appreciate the challenges of war”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is one of those excellent exhibits that you go in thinking its only about a small part of WWII, and you come out realising what a crucial part it played in winning the war. The exhibits explain some many elements of what the airbourne brigade had to achieve to allow the D-Day landings to take place and how they were planned and achieved. The talk from the very passionate young lady was emotional and obviously given from the heart. Well done.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Foody4Ldn
Bristol, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Brilliant Museum”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've been on holiday to this area of France many times, but this is the first time I've actually been into the memorial museum. I was not disappointed. I was fascinated by every aspect of the D-Day landings since I was a small child, and this museum explained, and showed examples of bravery and dignity that has rarely been seen since that day. I loved the examples of 11 men and their part, a Dutch man, and 10 English men, what they did, how they managed, and what they look like now. I remember when the Original Pegasus Bridge was not part of the memorial, and it was just left on the land next to the new one. I was very pleased to be able to walk on it and imagine what those brave men were feeling at the time they first walked on it. The other thing that tickled me was the display of the Bailey Bridges, and the history behind them. In 1941, Hitler sent a Christmas card to Donald Bailey (the inventor of the bridge) thanking him for his bridges, as it made it easier for his soldiers to get around in France. Cheek! Well worth the admission fee!

Visited August 2013