“A Great Village Pub”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Took a visiting son to dinner and were not disappointed (not even slightly). We enjoyed the excellent friendly and attentive service, great food (good to see an enlarged choice for vegetarians, by the way) and relaxed atmosphere.
The Bluebell is just the sort of pub/restaurant the village needs both for its locals and for visitors.

4  Thank Stumbler51
Simon T, Owner at The Bluebell at Cocking, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am pleased to get such positive feedback from one of our more local guests. I hope we see you again soon

There are newer reviews for The Bluebell at Cocking

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Excellent menu with additional choice of specials.
Food good with friendly efficient service in a busy restaurant.
Well worth a visit.

3  Thank FMR2014
Simon T, Owner at The Bluebell at Cocking, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your meal with us. I hope we see you at The Bluebell again soon

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I wanted to take my mum for a weekend lunch, we wanted to try somewhere new with great food, efficient service with an easy going but sophisticated atmosphere- we found it all at The Bluebell Inn. It's recently been taken over by a very polite, well mannered and efficient manager who has appointed a very good chef and excellent staff. The food was served promptly and looked and tasted amazing! They had a good menu which has just been updated- but they are wiling to suit people needs and requirements. The atmosphere was just right as we were able to have a good chat, without being overwhelmed by other peoples conversations in the dining area. Everyone around was enjoying themselves and their food. I highly recommended this lovely village pub/ restaurant to all who want a pleasant, relaxed but professional dinning experience.

1  Thank 30,081,984

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your meal with us and I hope we can welcome you again soon

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Bluebell at Cocking now has new owners. My partner and I had dinner on a Saturday evening and found it slightly disappointing compared with how it used to be. The portions were small and the vegetables terrible, just stringy beans and carrots. Also very expensive. For the price we would expect better.

2  Thank julia w
Simon T, Owner at The Bluebell at Cocking, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

I have to say that I am also disappointed in the review that you have written. disappointed in the fact that as you live in our little village, you didn't feel you could pass on your comments to me personally on Saturday night, but felt the need to go home and take the time to write something so negative on here.

The Bluebell has had such a difficult history and in fact was boarded up for a period of a year, so you would think that the villagers would do whatever they can to help me make The Bluebell a success and not try to run it down on online review sites.

It is common knowledge that prior to buying The Bluebell 2 months ago, I was General Manager of Comme Ca Restaurant in Chichester and my Head Chef was Head Chef there too. when it closed in October due to the owners retiring I decided to take on The Bluebell. if I had not done that, then yet again The Bluebell would have been closed as the previous owners walked away from it at the end of Oct last year.

Having looked at your other reviews I was surprised to see that you had previously done a very similar review of Comme Ca that you have done here, so it begs the question, what did you think we were going to do differently?

your last of the 3 reviews was for another local establishment and again is very similar mentioning you thought it was disappointing and pricey. I would have to say that based on the area in which we live and the ever increasing costs we all have to pay, you aren't going to find anywhere locally that will offer you a quality 3 course meal at fast food restaurant prices.

your total bill on Saturday evening was £73.00 that included 3 courses for 2 people, coffee and a £20.00 bottles of wine. Please also bear in mind that £12.17 of that goes to the VAT man before I have to pay any other costs. unfortunately if you want a nice meal in a warm restaurant and served by trained staff all of that incurs expensive costs.

I would ask anyone reading this review to take a look at the pictures on the page a see exactly what our food looks like and form their own opinions of whether it looks disappointing

Reviewed January 17, 2014

As frequent visitors to the excellent Comme Ca restaurant in Chichester, we were so sorry that it had to close down but discovered that the Manager and the Chef had taken over The Bluebell at Cocking which is about 5 miles south of Midhurst on the A286. We received a warm welcome into a delightful dining room and were so happy to find that Simon and Chams have maintained the standard of service and food which made Comme Ca such a lovely place. We shall now be going there as often as possible and although we didn't book a table for lunch, the place was full by the time we left. I think that very soon it will be necessary to book a table for either lunch or dinner. We can't wait to take our friends there.

3  Thank Gourmetsinc
Simon T, Owner at The Bluebell at Cocking, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

thank you for your review of your recent visit, I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to The Bluebell and I hope that we can welcome you again soon