“Couldn't fault it, looking forward to staying gain in 2012”

Andaman Princess Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ko Kho Khao
Melbourne, Australia
“Couldn't fault it, looking forward to staying gain in 2012”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Me, my husband and my 9yr old son stayed in a garden villa from Jan 3 until Jan 10 2011 and we totally loved it. The villas are designed in traditional Thai style with vaulted ceilings and are huge and very well appointed. The lounge/kitchenette area, seperated from the bedroom with a heavy sliding door, was excellent, especially as my husband is a night owl and I like to get up early. The extra bed and breakfast for our son was free of charge (which is extremely rare). The bathroom was also huge and the spa had coloured underwater lights - very funny. It was great value for money and we plan to stay next January for 10 -12 nights. The villa is tastefully fitted out and although it was advertised as a 'garden villa' it faced the sea towards Ban Nam Ken, we couldn't have asked for more. The resort itself is huge, with attractive, well tended gardens and the villas are incredibly spaced out and not on top of each other like other resorts. The pool is 'to die for' - 1400 square meters meandering through the property and lined with frangipani trees, luckily for us they were in full flower, the fragrance adding to the ambiance. There is a large room off the lobby with 2 huge pool tables, a kid's corner and another room with 2 computers with high speed internet. I also used the gym everyday (to try to balance the food and drink!). The staff were absolutely fantastic and were great with our son, all the staff went out of their way to make our stay memorable. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times and the food is very good and reasonably priced. I have read other reviews which gave poor ratings for the buffet breakfast, to be honest, when I am at home I eat only porridge or meusli so I found the buffet breakfast to be very good with a great variety to choose from, a special mention must be made for the chocolate waffles - brilliant (hence the daily gym workout!). Kho Koh Khao island itself is an absolute gem, so quiet (I have never before seen an empty beach in Thailand in the high season) , we also loved the long- tail boat rides between the island and the mainland. The 3 restaurants at the harbour were great. We only 'discovered' the Coconut Palm restaurant on the second last night and were were kicking ourselves for not trying it earlier in our stay as the food was sublime; Duck in Orange sauce for $6 Australian. We went on to stay in Khao Lak for a further 10 nights and we hired a car twice and drove back to the island just to eat at the Coconut Palm. Do yourself a favour and go there for dinner. If you are looking for total relaxation and value for money you can't go past the Andaman Princess.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank bek_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 21, 2011

We stayed at the Andaman Princess Resort for two weeks, over New Years Eve. Travelled with our son, 1.5 yrs. Had a wonderful time, peace and quiet, and the staff was fantastic, especially with our son. The hotel pool, and the surrounding beaches, are perhaps not the best for a toddler, but it was ok.

If leisure and relaxation is what you are after, Andaman Princess is a great place to stay, and the villas can definitely be recommended. The hotel was pretty fully booked around New Years Eve, but it never felt crowded.

We generally dislike staying in the same place for as long as two weeks, so during the second week we got a little restless and made a few trips into Khao Lak, both daytime for shopping and evenings for dinner variation. The food at the hotel is alright, but nothing special.

Andaman Princess is located at walking distance from the harbour, which is nice since that allows you to walk to the harbour restaurants for lunch or dinner. If you feel the 5-10 minute walk is too far, most of the time the hotel gives you a free ride to the harbour. There's also a couple of restaurants within walking distance along the beach.

Reasoning behind the grades:
Cleanliness: nothing to criticize, our room was very well cleaned during our entire stay, and we got prompt replacement of towels upon request (after our son had been ill and towels had become soiled).
Location: as mentioned Koh Kho Khao is very much about peace and quiet. Perhaps a bit too much for our taste.
Rooms: we stayed at a poolside villa, and it was great. Close to the pool (like 10 meters), but still felt pretty private. Very good when travelling with a young child.
Service: all of the staff are very helpful and friendly, but only a handful actually speak english (the front desk and the managers). However, all of them always do their very best to accomodate you.
Value: our trip was rather expensive, booked as a package deal including airline seats and transfer to/from the hotel. If you book the hotel on your own I would guess you'd get away cheaper, and hence better value.
Sleep Quality: There was never any noise or disturbances.

As always, your experience is biased based on your expectations. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing family vacation, and that was exactly what we got.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Apollo

1 Thank Niklas S
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Two years ago we stayed at the Andaman princess resort for 2 weeks over Easter and left with a wish to return (see my review dated May 2008). This Easter we used the excuse of celebrating an anniversary to return with our family, and we were not disappointed!
Last time we were two adults and three children (aged 2, 5 and 10). This time we were thirteen! That is: seven adults, (me, my husband, my mother, my father, my sister, her daughter (aged 23) and my sister’s husband) and six children (aged 4, 7, 12, 6 months, 6 and 10 years).
Unfortunately for different reasons we have not been able to write a review before, but better late than never.
The big rooms, the beautiful bungalows, the magnificent pool area, the quiet atmosphere and the friendly employees were still as we remembered, or better. In addition several aspects were considerably improved!
When we arrived we were met with an orchid wreath each and tea while checking in .
A very friendly gesture and they even remembered us from our last visit.
In addition it was our luck that the hotel arranged a thai festive evening with a great buffet including, among many different dishes, a good selection of seafood, meat and vegetables of own choice being grilled on request. And accompanying a wonderful meal was entertainment by a group of thai musicians and dancers who gave us a wonderful start to our holiday.
We were fortunate enough to continue the kick start with a trip to the Surin Islands, well arranged by the resort. As I mentioned in my previous review of the resort the Surin and the Similan Islands are reasons alone to visit Thailand (and to return to do more snorkeling in an unforgettable underwater World)! My only suggestion is that beverages could be included as they have been on the other snorkeling trips to the Similan or the Surin islands we have been to.
We also went on a trip to the Similan islands with Medsye Travel this year. Last time it was easy to book from abroad, but not so this time, perhaps because of the size of our group? Anyway we managed to book the trip we wanted from one of the travel agents on Kho Kho Khao. And as last time: the snorkelling is just unforgettable!
I will try not to make this review too long, I just have to mention a few things that really pleased us:
The breakfast was excellent now! For instance there was a great selection of hot and cold dishes (including thai dishes and rice), they had a selection of yoghurts in a fridge, cereals, fruits and a salad buffet, and last, but not least appreciated, they had a chef making waffles, pancakes, eggs and omelets made to order.
The employees were very friendly with the children and even carried the baby sometimes during the meals
We used the hotel restaurant extensively and were very satisfied. As mentioned in the last review the restaurant is immaculately clean, the food is good and reasonably priced and travelling with small children it is very convenient to be so close to the rooms for the evening meal. Unfortunately most of the children in our company were not very fond of spicy food, but then they made us a signature dish: fried sausages, squid style, with rice, deliciously prepared and served as the other dishes.
The children corner opposite to the restaurant was perhaps not very extensive, but the two Playstation units and the small playground for smaller children was very convenient at the end of the meals.
We also enjoyed the small band playing every evening in the background. Sometimes a perhaps a little bit out of tune, but they played a great collection of old hits and made good atmosphere in the restaurant.
The hotel now also offers cooking courses and we had a really good experience trying it.
The three female adults and the two girls aged 12 and 10 attended the session. The course was set in the pavilion outside the seafront kitchen and when we arrived they had prepared all the ingredients deliciously. Two persons at the time were instructed to prepare a thai soup, spring rolls and a chicken + cashew nut dish, which we all had for lunch afterwards. We invited the rest of our company and ordered some more dishes from the kitchen, so that all could try the “home made” dishes as well as be satisfied. A great activity where we enjoyed learning some thai cooking as well as being rewarded with an excellent lunch afterwards.
In a previous review the reviewer was proposed to. We were there at that evening and what a celebration! First we saw the seafood pavilion being decorated as for a romantic wedding, although only seating two persons. Then we heard and saw the couple being transported to the pavilion accompanied by a traditional thai orchestra drumming and chanting their way to the seafront. Later that evening we saw lanterns rise up in the black sky followed by wonderful fireworks.
Having observed the “proposal celebrations” we looked forward to celebrating our 40+50 years anniversary, and the hotels arrangements did not disappoint us! With respect to thai prices we paid an considerable amount of Bahts, but it was good value. Again they decorated the sea front pavilion as for a wedding just for our company and there was a great salad and fruit buffet, a good selection of warm dishes including soups and thai dishes. But not least there was a chef preparing delicious seafood or different meat of own choice on the grill.
The meal was first accompanied by the band from the restaurant. Afterwards the traditional thai orchestra and dance group entertained us excellently!
After a while we sent up numerous thai lanterns, a beautiful experience. Not very easy though as there was a breeze tending to send them towards the waves, but even better then when they slowly decided to rise to the sky. All in all an unforgettable celebration thanks to the staff at the Andaman Princess.
To finish off this very positive review I would like to suggest an improvement: as the 2-3 computers often were occupied we would suggest a Wi-fi area in the lobby. Then you could use your mobile (for which otherwise surfing abroad is very expensive) or a private laptop.
Both our family and our fellow travelers loved the stay at the Andaman princess and would love to return for new holidays!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Ylijali
norwich
Reviewed November 7, 2010

the hotel had just opened a week previous to us arriving and coupled with low season was serenly peaceful and tranquil.after a very smooth check in was pleasantly surprised by the large room with what looked like a new refitted bathroom and a well stocked mini bar at reasonable prices.the hard wood flooring had such a shine you could literally see your reflection in it.
the grounds of the hotel are large with a multitude of wildlife to keep the camera clicking away at regular intervals.the large swimming pool provides more than enough room to find your own space.the staff at the hotel aim to please and always succeed regardless of what you may require.
so to put it in a nutshell if r&r is what you are after this place will take some beating!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NorwichBlue1
Gjovik, Norway
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This is such a beautiful and quiet place. After 10,5 hour flight from Oslo to Phuket we got on the bus which in about two hours took us to Koh Kho Khao ( a short trip with a short longtail boat trip included). Everything went very nice and smooth, and when we arrived to the hotel, we were greated by the staff with a drink and some information.

Our room on the first floor were very nice and spacious. Beautiful bathroom with a bath tub and shower. The balcony was quite small and very hot! So when we are going back in February 2011 we have ordered a sea front villa.

The first night we had our dinner at the U thong restaurant at the hotel, very good food there. Hubby had a pine apple shell filled with pork, rice, peanuts and vegetables. Nice and yummy, The service at the hotel is also very good. We had nothing to complain about!

The pool area is absolutely lovely! And don't forget the Happu Hour between 4 and 5 am... I forgot a few times and ended up with two huge drinks! Very nice though :)

This is not a party island, but try the Funny Bar just outside the hotel entrance. The guy (Manh) who runs it all by himself is so sweet! We spent most evenings there after we had our dinner in the harbour area or in the main street.

We also joined a trip to Surin Island, organized by the hotel. The snorkeling there is amazing and a "must do"! Hubby also went on a fishing trip with some Thai friends we met. They caught some fish too... while I went by myself to Khao Lak for some shopping. I felt very safe there. First long tail boat, then a taxi (who also waited for me) back and forth to Khao Lak. Not expencive at all.

I'll put some photos here as well, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. :)

I am so happy that we are going back in three months!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VikingDame
Oslo
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We stayed here easter 2010 - and it was perfect. Cozy, quiet, relaxing, fun, active and over all: excellent.

We stayed in what is called a bungalow in Apollos webpages (Norwegian travel agency). This was a huge, clean and very well kept house, with a fantastic jacuzzi in the bathroom. If you go here, I absolutely recommend the bungalow. It cost a little bit extra, but it is worth every penny.

The staff is nice (not all of them are good in english, but still), very helpful and positive. The bungalow was clean and beautiful, great service, and a great location on a quiet beach.

We even went out to party on a local bar, next to the hotel one night. A lot of fun, with Thai karaoke. The Koh Kho Khao-island is not made for partying, but it's possible to have fun there.

My boyfriend even proposed to me here. It's that romantic!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank plosiv
Sweden
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Stay for two weeks in mars at the Andaman Princess Resort & Spa.
I was travelling by my self, but my daughter and her friend whos be travelling around in Asia for two months spend a week with me. The staff was very friendly and it was no problem to get a room just beside me för my daughter and her friend.
The hotell was quiet and calm. I have a deluxeroom and the bed was great.
The balcony was small but OK.
The poolarea was great and just a few step down to the beach. I take a walk at the beach every morning and lunchtime and just meet a few persons -you have the beach for you own.
The restaurante was not so good. The breakfastbuffé was OK, but i have eat better in other places. I always at knight go down to the harbour and eat lovely dinners in one of the restaurant. Cheaper and better than at the hotel.
Kor Khao Island is a very calm place, so if you want party and shopping you go somewhere else.
For me it was perfect. It was nice to go back when I `ve been in Kao Lak for some shopping.
I will recommend you to take a snorkeltrip with speedboat to Similian Island.
It was amazing if you like nice bath and snorkeling.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
C&N Kho Khao Beach Resort
C&N Kho Khao Beach Resort
#1 of 3 in Ko Kho Khao
Apsara Beachfront Resort and Villa

Been to Andaman Princess Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!