“Great conference hotel, perhaps not the best choice for tourism at weekdays” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sundvolden Hotel

Sundvolden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Krokkleiva
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sandefjord, Norway
“Great conference hotel, perhaps not the best choice for tourism at weekdays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Participating at a conference, I found conference facilities very satisfying - furniture, equipment, air/heathing. My room was in the new part (numbers from 1-49), and had a good sixe, modern furnitur/equipmente, quiet and possibilities for adjusting air/temperature worked well.
The hotel is quite big, and expect queues for lunch. However the food is worth waiting for. Great selection at breakfast and lunch buffets. Very tasty food!
With lots of meetings and conferences on weekdays, it is not a place I would have enjoyed visiting on individual basis, as a tourist

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank abcnord
CecilieLaeskogen, General Manager at Sundvolden Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for your nice review. However I wish you would also try to visit the hotel on a weekend or holiday. We want to be an oasis for people wanting to relax and enjoy the countryside combined with nice food and drink in the company of family and friends. Welcome back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I only stayed for one night, but that was enough to figure out that this hotel is the real deal. Great conference rooms, very tasteful food and the staff was very helpful. I got a great room in 4th floor with big windows and a very comfortable bed. Some spots on the bathroom walls wasn't really clean, but I'm not that picky to really care. The towels could have been a little bit bigger.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I guess I'll be back someday myself...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BiggL
Thank you for your great respons! We hope to see you again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I took my wife on a romantic getaway package, and it definitely exceeded our expectations.
Check-in is usually 3pm. We arrived at 1, and we immediately got our room. Pleasantly surprised, we realized that we had been given the bridal suite in the old wing of the hotel. It had a comfortable bedroom and a living room, furnished with antique furniture, but very well kept. The bathroom seemed recently remodeled, and included a jacuzzi.
Shortly after we got to the room, a lady brought us sparkling wine and a tray of mouthwatering fresh fruit and marzipan.
At night, we had dinner in the charming restaurant called "1648". Our waiter, Marcus, was attentive and pleasant, and the food and wine outstanding!
The next day, we spent some time in the small, but reasonably well equipped gym, the pool and the sauna.
All in all, we had a terrific weekend.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Migsil
Thank you so very much for your nice review! This is just how we want our romantic guest to feel! Welcome back.
Oak Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hotel was quite large with conference rooms and meeting areas. I don't know if I would recommend it for the casual traveler. The facility was immaculate and quite lovely. We were there on a Sunday night at the end of September and there were almost no other guests. The food was good and the staff were very friendly. It is just a very large hotel designed for conferences.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard C
CecilieLaeskogen, Manager at Sundvolden Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your nice respons. Sunday is the most quiet day of the week, so I hope that explains part of the feeling of beeing in a big hotel. We want Our individual guest to experience an historic and relaxed atmosphere. We have both dining areas and meeting areas that are designed for small groups and individuals. The hotel is a member of The Historic Hotels of Norway. We are part of an old tradition of welcoming guests traveling along the road. Our restaurant is open 7 days a week, and we are always here, happy to welcome you back.
Fredrikstad, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just outside Oslo you will find this shining star (as i would like to call it ) this hotel has what all other hotels do not have , dedicated owners and staff and a soul...... I arrived late evening on my way from Nesbyen to Oslo , called the hotel and asked if the restaurant was open , it was but they had stopped servering meals . They opened it again :) without any arguments . They prepaired me a sandwich of seafood, on home baked bread at 2300 hrs. And it was like eating in the middle of Norwegian history with all the paintings , old furniture and other things from our history ,both head and stomach was happy after this meal.
Just go there , dont stop in Oslo !!! its only 45 minutes away.

Room Tip: i belive all rooms are up to any standard.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review. It is tempting to share it with everyone. This is how we want our guest to feel when they have been here. Thank you again.
Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel when I was a delegate at a seminar there. It was my second visit to the hotel. Last time I had a room in the old part of the hotel, and the old part is in need of some refurbishment. It is very 1980`s. This time I stayed in the new part of the hotel and the rooms are modern and spotlessly clean. It has a few "shortcomings", though. I don`t know why almost all new hotels have windows from the bathroom into the room. It is a silly idea. In Sundvolden there was fortunately just a small window and it was partly frosted, but still uncomfortable if you share your room with a partner or collegue, particularly if you need to use it at night when the room itself is dark, you`ll end up waking up the other person with lights flowing out from the window in the bathroom.

Anyway, I could only get three or four channels working on the TV (but I didn`t really try hard..) and the room does not have enough outlets if you have several gadgets that needs charging at the same time. I had to get behind the sofa to charge my phone. Good shower, but no toiletries. Comfortable bed, but somewhat "flat" pillows. I am sure I could have gotten another one if I had called reception, though, so not really a big issue.

Had it not been for the staff, I would have given the hotel an "average", but the staff are really service-minded and made every effort to make the stay comfortable. They provided me with an extra towel and opened the small pool (water was quite cold..) early just for me. Great service! The chef that told us about dinner was funny and entertaining. Very good food and nice selection for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Maje
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Sundvolden Hotel is a relaxed but reasonably well organised hotel to stay in. It has a small but pleasant indoor pool with big windows out to the gardens. It also has a good indoor gym. I saw cycles and kayaks for rent outside. Breakfast was good, the buffet has a great selection at lunch. Lots of variety and non-standard tasty fare. The fixed menu dinner was ok, not fantastic. The meeting room was functional and had a really high ceiling, so it did not feel cramped, and it was well ventilated. The bedroom I had was clean and comfortable, with nice details like a magazine by the bed and a good flat screen tv. The lounge/bar was nice as well. All in all, a good choice for a big conference.

Room Tip: Comfortable rooms in the new building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Krokkleiva
Klaekken Hotell
Scandic Holmenkollen Park
Lysebu
Lysebu
#28 of 100 in Oslo

Been to Sundvolden Hotel? Share your experiences!