“Decent hotel, restaurant needs sharpening up”
Review of Stord Hotel

Stord Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leirvik
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Modern room with well appointed bathroom, clean. Breakfast good apart from when busy when buffet runs out and is not replenished quickly. Limited dinner menu with some items unavailable but food is good. No/poor wifi in common areas. Good wifi in room.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed her for one night with work. Had a lovely room on floor 8 of the new section. Can not fault the room - nice bed, good TV and excellent bathroom. Nice and quiet

Breakfast was excellent and the reception area was cosy. Good meeting room facilities as well.

Room Tip: A room in the new section.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel offers decent rooms and a rather good restaurant. Has a bar, too, with live piano music, which is closed most of the time. 5 minutes walking from town. But prices are high, so you pay a lot for average value. WIth only three hotels in town, this local rip-off system has been around for a long time. If in Stord, stay here, but do not expect too much.

Room Tip: All renovated rooms are of decent quality.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I was there for 1 night in May 2013 and enjoyed excellent food and facilities. Pleasant friendly staff, all fluent(ish) in English and ready to help. One niggle - the room was too warm all night and it seemed impossible to cool it down. All in all, a very good experience, however.

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I spent three nights at Stord Hotell in Leirvik this April.

When in Norway, pay as Norwegians. So nothing comes cheap, no matter where you are in Norway. Be prepared to pay a hefty sum of money for your stay, and same goes for everything else in Norway and in Stord as well. Food, drinks, hotels...wow...is all I can say.

The hotel itself has gone through a major face lift during the recent years and I had the pleasure of staying in the new wing. My room was very comfortable, but also extremely basic. But everything worked, water pressure was good, plenty of warm water, no traffic noise to my room, free wireless that worked wonderfully and everything was brand new. For some reason many hotels are currently using black and other dark colors in their interior (and the same thing in Hotell Stord) and this makes everything very dark and depressing. Propably one major issue with my room. But the bed and matress was very comfortable even for a guy my size (198 cm of 6'6).

The reception and bar staff really did not make an effort to make a great first impression. I guess you dont have to when the town has only two hotels. Reception did not know of restaurants that were down hill and even directed us to ones that were closed. Fortunately the town is very convenient, so we managed to walk to next ones with the help of locals.

Bar and restaurant in the hotel were closed on Sunday evening.

Breakfast was very nice and enough option were available for a variety of travelers.

If you want to save some money, there is a big grocery store across the main entrance, less than 100 meters, just across the parking lot and it is open from morning tills 22:00 hrs.

Location otherwise is convenient, close to highway and also within a 10 minutes walking distance (downhill) from the harbor.

Would I stay here again? Propably yes, since options are rather limited, but I would like to see the staff pick up some service attitude. With 200+ travel days per year, I have definitely seen better service in cheaper hotels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've spent 2 nights at this hotel for a business trip.
The staying was ok.
Personnel overall professional.
I have not noticed particular flaws or disturbing elements.
The breakfast ok.
Price was also aligned to the level of service.

Room Tip: I did not stay enough to appreciate options
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was paid to live here for two weeks and enjoyed myself even though finding the hotel was a pain because of the lack of signposting on the E39 passing Leirvik. Stord is the name of the island upon which Leirvik is the main town though you will see signs for "Stord Hospital" and "Stord Airport" but no signs for "Stord Centre". None of the signs I saw on the E39 suggested to me I was driving past the main town on the island again and again. Even businessmen from Bergen getting off the fast ferries on the quay were asking me if they were "in Stord". To find the hotel, drive along the E39, You'll see a sign saying "Vekt" at N59.77473 E6.48438. Take that then follow the sign to the right saying "hotel". The hotel's pretty much at N59.77392 E5.49569.

You know, it can rain so much in Norway you start to take biblical stories about floods more seriously and my room in Stord Hotell had a heated towel rail in the bathroom with a heated floor of course so you can take your soaking coat off, dry it and put it on again dry the next morning. Simple but so effective and welcome and not something I remember having in other hotels in Norway.

Breakfast. I noticed this wasn't the "typical" Norwegian hotel breakfast. The bacon was thicker and more rustic unlike the cheap salty stuff that's too thinly sliced you get at most hotels. I got the impression the breakfast chefs enjoyed experimenting which meant breakfast usually had something new each morning. One GREAT thing was the staff were not in a mad rush to get the food away if you were lingering over your breakfast a bit.

Food. They have a proper kitchen with proper chefs cooking proper food. The meat was great but you should try any of the fish dishes bearing in mind Stord is surrounded by great fishing waters.

Staff. Universally friendly, kind, cheerful, efficient without being "fussy".

Open broadband. Free. Logging on is easy.

Nice decorations. I don't normally notice interior design unless it's horrendous. I actually noticed this place was tastefully decorated.

Parking and shopping. There's a supermarket near the hotel. It would be a good place for anyone touring in a camper to have a night of civilised comfort, a nice meal, do some shopping, download their email etc.

I nearly forgot to mention. I don't have a problem sleeping. I sleep anywhere if I'm tired but at Stord Hotell, I slept brilliantly. I don't know why. Yes, the beds were obviously perfect for me, plenty of nice pillows, no noise .... but I've had that before at loads of places and not slept so well. I can't tell you why but I slept like a log here.

Like other hotels in Norway of a certain standard, the hotel has live entertainment most nights plus an area of comfy sofas with a big telly for watching satellite football etc. near the bar.

The hotel seemed quite busy with various groups having meetings and conferences in the meeting rooms and there's a large function room upstairs apparently. I never saw it.

I seem to remember the hotel has a swimming pool and gym etc. neither of which I saw or used.

Stord is nice. Everything you need without everything you get in big cities you don't need. Lots of lovely coves, beaches, bays, rivers and nature to explore.

Room Tip: I had the same room for two weeks. I never wanted a different room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Liggerman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leirvik
Grand Hotell
#2 of 4 in Stord Municipality
Langenuen Motel & Camping
Langenuen Motel & Camping
#3 of 4 in Stord Municipality

Been to Stord Hotel? Share your experiences!