“Lots of potential but missing a trick” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge

and 1 more site!
The Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge
london
“Lots of potential but missing a trick”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

This lodge has a great setting and very good infrastructure to really turn it into a luxury lodge. As it stands, the word luxury certainly is not fitting. The toiletries were very basic and the food terrible to say the least. I could have done a better job myself and I am certainly not the best of cooks!! The service is very attentive but a bit clueless. For this price, overall a poor experience. I would say this is not a reflection of the staff who were very friendly but of management who should know better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jrca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Arabic first
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

To the Team of the Plettenberg Game Reserve and the Baroness Lodge!
We had a brilliant time, 2 nights at the lodge - fantastic.
The reserve is huge and the animals very beautiful and healthy.
The team is absolutely friendly, the huge rooms fantastic, meals excellent.

Thank you for this amazing weekend :)
Robert
Patricia
Jeffrey

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert B
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We have recently stayed at the Baroness safari lodge with a small group and we were all very disappointed. The room we had had no view at all and was fairly basic not the luxury as advertised The game drives were OK and the rangers very knowledgable but it is a very small reserve. The food was pretty awful apart from the breakfasts and we would not go there again

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with a view and not the new rooms which are being built from used tin shee...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PlettenbergbayGR, Public Relations Manager at The Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving your feedback. It is very disappointing when we hear that our clients have not enjoyed their experience, but if we can use constructive critism to improve our experience for future visitors, then it is worthwhile.

The beautiful colonial-style Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge was built in 1822 by Baron von Pletten, an early South African pioneer and conservationist, who used the original, smaller Lodge as his base to explore the then untamed African landscapes, so while the room sizes do vary, and although it is an historical building , I can assure you we have met the very stringent South African standards for a 4 star product.

It is our aim to meet a consistently high standard with regards to food and we will use this feedback to re-iterate this aim our team.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

The location on the Lodge is absolutely amazing, the setting is really second to non! But its the little things that makes this Loge average. When sitting in the Boma for two hours after asking for a blanket because it was freezing, or asking for a lock to lock-up your room and getting laughed at by the staff as if it was some kind of joke?

The game driver was really just a nice drive and getting out of the room, the guide was really really good - but there was not that much game...

The highlight of my trip was when I was checking out, the staff charged me an extra R200.00 for drinks I apparently took from the fridge in the Boma. When I said this is impossible and that I do not drink beer, they followed up with a "are your sure" ...... Once more there was never a manger around, just a little black board with phone numbers which quite frankly I would not have use, I would have gotten in my car and travel to an establishment who wanted guests.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nicholas_Genade
Thank very much for your review and for your feedback. We are as disappointed as you are that you felt “the little things’ were lacking, as well as the lack of visible management. We, like you believe it is these things that ensure our guests return again and again. We will certainly take this feedback and use it improve our experience for future guests.
Surrey UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed for 2 nights with my parents. We chose this as it presented such better value than the more expensive game lodges to the East and North.
The rooms were very spacious with a large King bed and seating areas. But it was quite dark, although it was an old stone building with small windows which probably helped keep the rooms cool. There was no air-con, but a fan was provided and this was enough even after a 90 degree day!. The room was also probably a bit rustic for my taste- as I prefer new and modern and I certainly didn't like the scorpion that made it into a corner of our room one one night. (but I am more used to city living!)
The service was very good and the staff are all very helpful and friendly. Dinner is included and although there is no choice, it was tasty and the portions were huge. We has Lamb shank one night and tasty chicken dish another night. Breakfasts were good as well, although could be a bit slow when you had to get to the game reserve for the first drive of the day.
It was very atmospheric, and there was always a fire going in the outside lounge (even on a very hot day!) which was nice to sit in to have that pre dinner glass of wine, where the views were outstanding!
The pool was a disappointment. It was tiny and certainly not big enough to swim in and the sitting area around it was also small with only about 4 or 5 loungers. Our idea was to have a morning game drive and then spend the afternoon round the pool, but that wasn't really an option so we went into Plettenberg.
Also, you do have to drive to the game drive centre from the lodge. It isn't far (less than 5 minutes in the car) but the road is really rough, and you do worry when you have a hire car that you are going to do some damage. It would have been nice to have been picked up if you are staying in the lodge.
The game drives themselves were excellent. It is quite a controlled environment, in that the area is small compared with other parks, but there is still plenty of land, and you do see lots of different animals quite close up in a natural environment. We did two morning drives and saw some different animals on both, so I would say it is worth doing two drives if you have the time.Both of the guides were excellent and knew how to find the animals and could talk about them and answer questions quite expertly.

I would definitely recommend the game park, but would perhaps not stay on site next time as it is only a 15 minute drive from Plettenberg town where you will find more luxurious hotels. But I am glad I stayed there the once as it was very atmospheric and you did feel you were doing the whole game park experience properly if that makes sense!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank decourcy200
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

Having frequent family and friends visiting me from the States and UK, I always want to give them a SA game experience, but like most, time constraints prohibit long trips up north. Now that I have found PBGR I alway make the quick trip (5hrs vs 15hrs) . This time we stayed at the Baroness Lodge and what a delightful time! The lodge is beautifully appointed with seating areas that allow for spectacular views, rest and relaxation. Fireplaces, pits and comfortable seating with chandeliers, candles, torches and more made the perfect setup to a perfect meal. The room I had was in the older portion of the building and was HUGE! I did peak into the other rooms and equally as large they too were stunning. Our service and host were spot on and for sure the next time I have visitors who want to see game without the travel up north I will book and stay at the Baroness again. Thanks Staff and all who made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank upmarket_travel
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I booked this (December 2010) in light of the positive feedback here. The place is terrible. The reality is that the owners are taking advantage of tourists and, I suspect, the staff. A big problem was the absence of a manager on site at any point during our stay – we were there for two days – with whom to raise complaints. As you have to pay the bill in advance, there was little chance of getting a refund. We paid an outrageous R1650 per person per night. If you want some ‘luxury’, I recommend that you seek it elsewhere! An older German couple stayed the same two nights as us and felt the same about the place. So I know that we aren’t nuts! And reading the ‘positive’ reviews with the experience of having stayed there is frustrating. Things described as ‘eccentric’, ‘helplessly romantic, ‘home cooked’, and ‘doing their best’ are simply euphemisms for ‘awful’, ‘dilapidated’, ‘third rate’ and ‘untrained’. The place masquerades as holding a four-star grading from Tourism Grading Council of South Africa. I worry about the standards of that agency! The game drive in Plettenberg Game Reserve was pleasant enough; avoid staying in The Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DGF69
PlettenbergbayGR, Marketing at The Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you for your review. At Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve we always strive for perfection.
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay and we appreciate your criticism as it allows us to look
at ways to improve our service and our standards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve
Trogon House and Forest Spa
Tamodi Lodge
Tamodi Lodge
#1 of 9 in The Crags

Been to The Baroness Luxury Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!