“Unwind? This is the place.”

The Mae Ngat Dam & Reservoir
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The only thing that kept this review from being 5 stars was the haze due to the burning of leaves and rice straw. I guess this is why this time of the year is called the "burning season".

Now, I agree... with another reviewer, if this is a place you think you are going to go and have some sort of entertainment or action... forget it. BUT, if you are looking for great scenery, delicious food, and an incredibly relaxing time, then I think you should go for it. I liked that it was less than $2 USD to get in (admission for one person and a scooter fee). I like that there was plenty of parking, and that you could order your food before you took the longtail boat to your floating destination, and that it would be ready when you arrived. I don't know how much it is to charter a longtail if say, just a couple were going... but for our group of 9, it was 100 baht each, which comes in at $30 USD, or 900 baht. The food was great, HUGE servings if you order a large size (enough fried rice for three or four people). Beer, water, and softdrinks were priced well... really about as much as the 7-11's around. All I'm saying is that you aren't going to be taken advantage of.

What is there to do? Not much. However there are kayaks you can rent for 150 baht and hour ($5), there was a waverunner (don't know if it was for rent), and there was swimming in the lake... with provided life vests. This is what I liked about the place. You could take a nice ride out there, hire a boat (telling them when you wanted to be picked up), have a nice lunch, go swimming if you'd like, or just take a nap in the shade of one of the thatched hutches.

I didn't see any mosquitoes either, maybe I was lucky... but I don't think they were out in the middle of the day, either that, or they couldn't compete with the nice gentle breeze that prevailed.

They also have rooms you can rent for overnight stays. I think if I don't run out of time, I will certainly do this. The place we stayed had "one bed" rooms ranging from I think $10 to $40 a night. The $40 room has AC, the $20 room has a fan. I don't know about the other price points. All of the rooms I saw had nice seating outside, and all of the windows had screens.

So if you want solitude, absolutely no traffic noise, to be on the water... and to just chill. This is a good place. If you want excitement, action, and to be entertained... I'd pass (unless you just want to spend a couple hours to see the place...). For me, it was a good experience, but I also went with a large group. Hope this reviews helps.

5  Thank Gizmo12312
"baht"
"nature"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Was able to watch some workers in the area and couple of fishermen hand fishing in boats without motors.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stopped here on the way back from chiang dao caves, we are so glad we didn't make a special journey to it. The scenery is lovely, but once you've seen it, that's it.....

1  Thank Miss Moffat A
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I saw this on Trip Advisor and was looking for something to do out of the city and this turned out to be the perfect choice. It's not far out and we had a rented car so drove out. The drive itself was interesting as it was quite a smoky day and we stopped for coffee in a town on the main road. Once we got to the lake it was simply a matter of organising a boat to take us out to a floating restaurant (500baht) return. We were the only oneson the boat and the only ones on the restaurant. The meal was awesome, fresh fish in curry and also deep fried, papaya salad. The vista was pretty cool because of the smoke haze. It was so peaceful and relaxing we stayed out at the restaurant for about two hours and when we were ready they just bought us straight back to the dock. By Thai standards it wasn't a cheap meal or day but for something different near Chiang Mai I highly recommend it

2  Thank nicklamport