“Wow-Wow-Wow!!! Awesome Adventure!”
Review of Thai Elephant Home

Thai Elephant Home
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was my third visit to the Thai Elephant Home and I was again totally Wowed by the entire experience. I loved being able to spend hours each day with my elephant, Boon Yearn. I also really enjoyed the peace and quiet my jungle grass hut offered. The night sky filled with stars was spectacular. Three delicious Thai meals per day so I didn't have to worry about anything. I was in heaven! With sugar care in hand I bonded with my elephant the first day upon my arrival. Thai Elephant Home taught me how to speak 'elephant' so I could communicate with my 18 year old female elephant as we trekked together through the jungle and up the mountain path. The panoramic views while riding bare back through the jungle were awesome! One day was not enough. I stayed for three weeks and am preparing another return visit. Very, very soon!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"delicious lunch"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Absolutely loved our day at the Thai Elephant Home! Can't fault our time with the elephants at all! Really liked the fact that we rode bare back & all of the elephants are treated superbly. All concerns regarding welfare & safety were spoken about by Joe before the trek.
Mud bath & play in the river with the elephants were amazing. Free lunch, t-shirt, dvd, water, fruit & foot spa were an added bonus! Appreciated the showers after the trek too.
Only negative is the minibus transfer - Pick up was almost an hour late & the minibus driver didn't appear to want to slow down for corners, speed bumps or potholes! On the way back in the afternoon we got off the bus feeling slightly worse for wear!

Don't let that put you off though, the elephant experience is certainly something that will be remembered forever! Highly recommended!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a great day out with Joe and the crew from Thai Elephant Home. We got picked up from our hotel and we were delayed waiting for other customers so the driver tried to make up time and drove eratically. Once there though everything went great. We were given a short talk about the elephants and the Thai elephant home and then changed into the clothes provided. Then we met our elephants, fed them bananas and were shown the basic commands and how to mount them. We only did a one day trip but we met people who did the 2/3 days and it seemed that they had more time to concentrate on this side of things. The trek was great. We had a lovely lunch in the jungle, gave one elephant a bath and then went swimming. I really enjoyed this part. This elephant is a good option if you want to get up close and personal with your elephant. We rode bareback ad swam with them in the river, which is very cool. Note we were warned that your skin can become irritated from riding the elephants bareback and my girlfriend got an infection on her lower legs which needed an anti-biotic cream. My advice is to wear leggings if you have sensitive skin, as advised. But this is really a great day out and I wouldn't be deterred.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

WOW! We really didn't want the day to end. From the moment we arrived it was a great experience. Because the camp has just 16 elephants you are never over crowded. My kids (ages 6 & 12) shared one elephant. I never worried about them the whole day with all the guidance the Mahiuts gave them to the elephants gentle nature they were in good hands. I have done other elephant experiences in Chiang Mai and the Thai Elephant Home was by far the best. My only complaint is that the day ended too quickly. Biggest highlight swimming with the elephants in the river.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 5, 2013

It took me quite a process to choose which elephant farm to choose as I am going to do it with my family with two young kids. I don't want them to witness cruelty to animals. I chose Thai Elephant home as in the forum many recommended it and the price is more affordable as compared to Patara Elephant Home which was my first choice. Having said that, this is something not to be missed when in Chiang Mai.

The service picked at us at 745 and others were picked up too before we head to the Thai Elephant Home. There was a short talk about Elephants and how they are managing the conservation of the Elephants. I kinda believed in their sincerity on helping preserve the elephants. In the email Joe will let you know what are the things to bring. Water, clothes and food is provided for during the one day mahout training. Yes it is still quite pricey but I must say it is worth it. You get to spend the day with your own elephant and eat in the middle of a forest.

They (mahouts) do hold bull hooks but it was hardly used during our trek. It was used to guide the elephants. The elephants are still wild animals and every five minutes they eat the grass or the trees around us.

Before the trek starts, there is a dry run where everyone is asked to ride the elephants before elephants are assigned.

My kids absolutely loved it. I shared the elephant with my daughter and my hubby with our son. They were thrilled and it was me who was a bit scared as I am scared of the heights and I always think that we might fall specially when the elephants would walk down the hill. It was quite a long trek.. perhaps around two to three hours. After the trek, we had our lunch. Pad thai served was good. Then we fed the left over to the elephants. Gave them a mud spa. We headed to the river after the mud spa and lunch. It was a joy bathing with the elephants.

After the trek we headed back to the Thai Elephant home camp. There is a free souvenir shirt, cd with pics of the group trek, a picture of you and your elephant and even a free foot and hand spa. There is also a free coffee and tea. You can take a quick shower after the trek but water is quite cold but bearable.

On a side note, the travel back to the hotel was not good. I was at the back of the van and the driver I might say is not the best driver the chiang mai. He likes to break suddenly and speed off right after stopping and that gave me a terrible headache... I thought I was going to vomit.

But overall, it was truly a wonderful and amazing experience and my kids loved it so much that they want to do it again :)