“Best Place To Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castel del Monte
The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant
Barry's Bay, Canada
“Best Place To Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We spent two nights at La Locanda and it could not have been better. The hospitality shown by Marco and Paola was superb. The restaurant and rooms had lots of character but were very comfortable with extras usually only found in bigger hotels (i.e slippers, toiletries etc).

The meals were superb examples of local specialities. Everything was quite delicious.

La Locanda is ideally located to visit the old town of Castel Del Monte as well as for beautiful walks to Campo Imperatore (in Gran Sasso National Park) or by mountain bike (available nearby at certain times of the year).

For a reasonable additional charge Marco picked us up in Sulmona and returned us there since we did not have a vehicle. It is possible to get to Castel del Monte by train and bus but a little more difficult. He also took us to some neighbouring hill towns as well as Gran Sasso Park. We did not have a car during our stay but Marco could not have looked after us better.

We would highly recommend La Locanda delle Streghe as THE place to stay in this part of Abruzzo. The hospitality was unrivalled anywhere.

Room Tip: Our top floor room had an amazing view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank AlanJames2
Job20X, Direttore generale at The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear "AlanJames2"
we are impressed from your review about our Inn. Thanks so much for your positive comments, we hope to have you again in our Inn.
Thank you!

The Staff of "The Withches Inn"

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

As a birthday present to my girlfriend, we flew out to Italy for a few nights.

Looking for a nice relaxing getaway with picturesque views, I chose to head to Castel del Monte and that's exactly what we got!

I chose La Locanda delle Streghe going by the Trip Advisor reviews and it didn't disappoint. It is a lovely building with heaps of character and we immediately felt at home. The dining areas along with our room were really clean and very well presented.

The food was fantastic too! My girlfriend and I absolutely loved the breakfast and eating dinner there in the evening was great! Everything tasted fresh with generous portions and a well-varied mixture of dishes.

The owner, Marco, was extremely friendly and very helpful too. He was more than happy to advise on places to go and visit and things to do around the wonderful Abruzzo region and we cannot thank him enough for helping towards an amazing trip.

We absolutely fell in love with the Inn, Castel del Monte and the towns and villages surrounding it and we will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Dom M
Job20X, Direttore generale at The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear "Dom M", thank you very much for your review about our Inn. We try always to give to our guests the best possible service. We are really happy to listen that you have enjoyed our territory, our cuisine, our village and our Inn. We hope to have you again like our guests.
Thanks again!!!

"The Witches Inn" - the staff
Oslo, NORWAY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent five nights at La Locanda delle Streghe in August 2012. It was a truly superb experience. We had the red room which was clean, cozy and practical. Good bathroom and a stunning view to the valley below. Friendly and very helpful English-speaking staff. We could choose between sweet or salty breakfast with many options. The dinner menu comprised local and tasty dishes. We celebrated 60 years birthday and received special treats. La Locanda della Streghe is highly recommended. Greetings from Oslo, Norway

Room Tip: There are currently only two rooms, the red one and the yellow one. Both are located on the first fl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mogens J
MarkXJ220, Direttore generale at The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear "Mogens J",
we really appreciate your review on our Inn. We always try to give to all our guests the best possibile service. The reviews like yours are always reason to make our service better. We really hope you enjoyed your time in Castel del Monte. We look forward to have you again like our guests.
Regards

The staff of "The Witches Inn"
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My cousin and I spent several days at La Laconda delle Streghe in early October. The owners of the Inn, Marco Cetra and his mother Paola, were so gracious and welcoming…we felt immediately at home. The Inn has been beautifully restored while maintaining a quaint, rustic charm. The restaurant serves delicious meals prepared by Paola. When Marco found out that we were looking for family, he offered to help us. Within a day he had located family members and we were able to meet them and spend some quality time with them during our stay. There is no doubt in my mind that without his help, we would never have found our family. Our grandmother and both great grandparents were born in Castel del Monte and it has been a dream of mine for many years to visit this quaint and beautiful hill town in Abruzzi. With Marco’s help, our trip to Castel del Monte was everything we could have hoped for and more.

I would highly recommend La Laconda delle Streghe to anyone going to visit this delightful Abruzzo hill town. You will not be disappointed.

Janet B.
Chandler, Arizona

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Janet B
MarkXJ220, Direttore generale at The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear "Janet B"
thank you so much for your wonderful review about us. We had so happy to help you to find your kin in the village. We hope you'll come back very soon to visit again the village!
Thank you again.

"The Witches Inn" - the staff
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This small inn is owned by Marco Certa. A 26 yo business man who is absolutely one of the most caring young men I've ever run into. We had no sooner arrived at the inn, than I learned my SO's mother had died. Within moments of Marco learning this news he was on his computer assisting me in making travel arrangements to get Susan back to the States; having assisted enormously in completing travel arrangements, early the next a.m. (for no charge) he drove us to the Rome FCO so she could catch her flight. I simply can't say enough about the caring attention that was devoted to us by Marco. I stayed on for several days after my SO left. A fortiori, the food was great, the room was fantastic, the rates reasonable and we could not have asked for a better stay. I'd give Marco and his small inn a 6 star if they had that rating. It just does not get any better and I've stayed at hotels all over the world. Mike Metcalf

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike M
MarkXJ220, Direttore generale at The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear "Mike M"
we are so happy to read your review about our Inn. What we did for your emergency was a big pleasure for us. We hope your trip around Italy was wonderful. Again our condoleces to you and your wife Susan.
Thanks a lot for this review, means a lot for us.

"The Witches Inn" - The Staff
Lyons, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I can't say enough about the wonderful experience I had at Locanda delle Streghe. From my initial booking to helping me arrange review of records for the research of my family history Marco went above and beyond being a good host. I particularly enjoyed the conversations we had and the insight he was able to give me about Italian family life and culture that I would not have been able to get staying somewhere that did not have hosts who spoke as fluent English as Marco does. The whole family was very welcoming and Paola even made me lasagna to take as a sharing dish to a family reunion I was attending in Villa Santa Lucia. The hotel itself has a wonderful view of the mountains, is very comfortable, and the rooms are thoughtfully appointed. I ate almost all my meals at the hotel and they were absolutely delicious. I could not get enough of Paola's chickpea soup. If you are spending time in this area of Abruzzo I can't recommend enough La Locanda delle Streghe and its hosts Paola, Marco and Martina Cetra.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mary Ellen S
MarkXJ220, Direttore generale at The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Mrs. "Mary Ellen S", we are pleased to hear that our support has been of great help. We hope to have you again like our guest in our Inn. Will always welcome.
Again thank you!

The staff of "The Witches Inn"
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I completely echo the sentiments of the other guest comments. This place is AWESOME! I am so grateful I stumbled across this place when researching where to stay for our trip. We have family in the area, and I was wanting to research where to find them. Marco went ABOVE AND BEYOND to help me find my relatives, and our nights at La Locanda were our most treasured of the entire Italy trip. Marco is wonderful; he's professional, helpful, and very kind. He is also VERY knowledgeable about the town's history and the history of the area in general. He was a great guide for us. He was great company during our trip, and I feel like we left with a new friend.
The inn was marvelous. The room was exactly as I'd hoped - charming, comfortable, and warm! Everything was clean, and the bed was very comfortable and cozy. We had an extra single bed in the room for my son, and it was very convenient.
The restaurant - my son's favorite in all of our Italy travels! We loved the lamb, the mozzarella and mushrooms, the wine, the cheese platter, the soups, the croissants, etc. We did not walk away from the table hungry any day.
The village - stunning. It's quiet and mysterious all at once. I enjoyed so much looking at all of the different wooden doorways framed in stone and exploring the different sporti. The views from each side of the village reveal panoramic vistas like you see in postcards. Just a few minutes away is Rocca Calascio. Also nearby are the beautiful ups and downs of the Gran Sasso national park. When we visited in May, it was SNOWING here!
I truly recommend this place to anyone looking for a safe, comfortable, and memorable stay in the Abruzzo area. The beauty of this place is unmeasurable and the town and inn have surely left us with very fond memories. I hope to return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Red Room, and it was great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Limes99
Dear "Limes99"
we are very happy to helped you to find your relatives here. We hope you'll enjoy again our village and our Inn.

"The Withces Inn" - The Staff
#1 of 1 in Farindola
B&B da Natalia
B&B da Natalia
#2 of 2 in Calascio

Been to The Witches Inn - Relais Restaurant? Share your experiences!