“Excellent views but alittle scary”

Tunnel of Trees - M119
Reviewed October 17, 2013

So, when they said this is a narrow winding road.......they were right. Very pretty during the fall and beautiful views of Lake Michigan here and there. Kind of scary being in the passenger seat close to the bluff but it was worth the drive. There are quite a few places to pull over if you want along the way.

All reviews
"nice ride"
in 4 reviews
"lower michigan"

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We drove from Harbor Springs to Cross Village and back again. My hubby did all the driving. I think that he had enough of the twists and turns when we were finished...lol. Pretty views of Lake Michigan and lovely homes. The colors weren't peak here along Lake Michigan, but they are further inland.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Okay, I started this ride with somewhat of a great outlook based on all the rave. The colors are just barely changing in this part of Michigan, so the tunnel is still overly green, not a big deal for me. It's all about the road, not the color for me.

Speed limit is a posted 45mph, with driveways exiting onto the M119 everywhere! Be careful, homeowners pulling out often. If you like to ride, or drive 20mph's below the speed limit because of all the lookie loos, this is your road. As far as those who dare compare or rate the tunnel above the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC, I question those if they have actually ridden it. The "Tunnel" is NOWHERE close to the excitement and adrenilin rush of the "Dragon." If you like the lake, then this could be your ride, it is nice.

Aside from the slow traffic, on a Tuesday, be very careful of the loose gravel, and sand in some of the curves. Where there are any of a fun factor value, which are few and very far between. Mostly meanduring slow sweeping curves on this roadway, but as a stated, it is an enjoyable ride. No pullouts as the "Dragon" has for slower traffic, or photo opportunity areas, but the town prior to the roadway, Harbor Springs, is a nice place to stop and visit.

Overall, a nice ride if in the area.

Ridden on a full dresser, FLTRi.

1  Thank hdslam
Reviewed September 23, 2013

take your time and snjoy the drive stop in good heart get chicken pot pie and a cup of tea anytime is a good time to go the fall would be the best

See more reviews
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I currently live in western PA and will be moving to northern Michigan in about 6 months. I was there in mid-September to tour the area and to see what my new home would look like. We drove the Tunnel of Trees (M-119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Village) around noon on a weekday. Traffic was very light which was nice because we could take our time. Although the drive was scenic, I have to say that it could have been one of a thousand roads in western PA. Nearly every one of our "back roads" are twisty, windy and tree covered. There were glimpses and peaks of the beautiful blue waters of the bay, but nearly all of the land along the bay is privately owned so there is nowhere to pull over to enjoy the view. You must stop at Legs Inn, though, in Cross Village at the end of the Tunnel of Trees. What a unique place for a meal and a beer. We will definitely be back to visit Legs Inn!

1  Thank abk1234